Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Alpha Male Myth!

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, as BobDobbs has pointed out, many (if not most) women cannot snare an alpha male. They may get a kiss or a lay if the guy is desperate, but to actually catch a genuine 'alpha' is something only an elite band of girls can do.

The others have to come up with a set of reasons and explanations to justify to themselves why they don't go for that kind of guy. 'He's too nice,' looks 'too boy-band,' 'has long hair,' is 'arrogant' or 'full of himself' etc. etc., when none of this is necessarily true. She just HAS to think it because the truth hurts way too much.

SHE isn't good enough to get him, because there are other women who have more to offer. Ouch.

So every woman has some kind of sliding scale in her head of what she goes for and why, and what she doesn't go for and why. Everything must fit into this.

That's why they are such b.itches in high school. It's very difficult for a girl to get her ideal man, with all her friends agreeing that he's a great catch. Women want both- somebody they want, AND somebody their friends will be jealous of.

That's impossible because women DO indeed go for different men.

Any man who has an attitude to life, and does not transmit FEAR, will do okay with women. That's only because fear implies that you think you can't deal with a situation, and that YOU think there's somebody out there who is better than you who is judging your every move. If you think somebody is better than you, then they are. There you go. Being 'alpha' is not a defined set of qualities, it's just real self-confidence, that's it. There's not too much science in it after all.

myfriendblu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL, Icepick
You sound a bit angry, my beta-male friend, LOL!!!! The Power of Denial never ceases to amaze me!!!

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i recommend reading Brave New World again.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
It's not necessarily about physical strength or toughness. To me, "DJ" and "Alpha Male" are synonymous.

Go out with a group of guys and see if you don't see that certain guys (alpha) take the lead with everything, initiate everything, and do what they want, and the other guys (beta) follow their lead.

It's not an INTENTIONAL thing in most cases. The Alpha male rarely makes a conscious effort to "lead" the betas around. He's just more of a MAN than these other guys...he's in control of his reality, he knows what he's doing, he's in control of his feelings, he does what he wants without apology, he enjoys learning from new experiences, and he has FUN.

Other males see this and try to imitate him. They follow him because they believe he knows where he's going. But in the end, they give too much of a f**k...they seek approval from the alpha male and let him control their perceptions of reality. They imitate him and think it makes them more "alpha," when they're not even standing on their own two feet.

ALpha males don't challenge other alpha males outright. They just walk into the social sphere and dominate. The people who you see being loud and aggressive commonly aren't alpha males...they're betas who think they're alpha.

Alpha males can often get along with each other just fine, as long as they can agree how to distribute resources (women, food, whatever). That's the difference between the Alpha male in the animal kingdom and the Alpha male in the human world...communication and negotiation.

Of course, when one steps on the other's toes (such as pursuing a common female), things can get quite fierce. But that's rare.

It's kinda like Pook's piece on the Nice Guy vs the Jerk. The Nice Guy is not an alpha male...neither is the Jerk. They're both out of control of themselves and their environment, following others' perceptions, not having fun at all, running from/complaining about their problems.

icepick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
myfriendblu:
LOL, Icepick
You sound a bit angry, my beta-male friend, LOL!!!! The Power of Denial never ceases to amaze me!!!
LOL, myfriendblu!

I knew this would come up! :rolleyes:

How hard is it to be an 'alpha male'? Actually, it is pretty easy! Much easier then trying to be a charmer, or a cool/calm guy, if you want to be alpha male guy, it requires little thought or consideration for other people. All you need is conviction in what you are doing, and that is not very difficult to muster.

Been there, done that, okay?

But I have noticed, that when I am just chilling, being part of the crowd, whatever, I have gotten the interest of the SAME types of girls! Why is this? I thought all of the hot chicks should only like Mr. Alpha Male?

At times when I am am just calm, and THERE, I have noticed that some girls like THAT also. Hotness has nothing to do with it, they are just different hot chicks.

The only conclusion I can come to right now is that there are CERTAIN TYPES of girls that like the alpha-male guy, certain types of girls that like the crazy, impulsive guy, certain types of girls that like the funny guy, certain types of girls that like the smart guy, certain types of girls that like the calm guy, and on and on and on...

And guess what fellas? They are all hot! People say that the HOT chicks only like the alpha male. That is bullsh*t.

Look, if you act like an alpha male, it seems to me that you will attract many b*tches, plain and simple. Just like if you act crazy/impulsive you will attract immature girly-girls, and if you act smart, you will attract responsible girls. And if you act like a sexually repressed AFC, you will attract fat chicks and desperate chicks, etc., etc.

I find that the "alpha male" stuff, is more of a PERSONALITY selector then a HOTNESS selector.

The point of this DJ thing is to let YOUR personality OUT, not to change it into some tough guy thing. Does this mean to run around talking about you f*cking gay ass computer games? No, but it does mean interacting with other people, having fun, exchanging ideas etc. Have fun the way YOU want to have fun, do you want to drink, do you want to go snowboarding, do you want to skydive, race cars, whatever, whatever, talk about people, politics, cars, whatever...the point of it is to let it out.

Men have more of a drive to be an INDIVIDUAL, science is slowly beginning to discover what we have known for a while. When you guys do something silly, or start a strange project, do you ever SEE the looks on women's faces? THEY LOVE THAT SH*T! Drow said it when he stated that "Women desire the guys world", this is true, you have to have some SUBSTANCE in your life.

If all you are is alpha-male, but you don't have anything backing it up, what the hell are you doing with your life?

This also has an analogy in conversation. People talk about conversation skills etc, but a MAIN thing is having something to SAY. You can have all the skills in the world, but if you have nothing to say, you are just blowing hot air when you talk.

icepick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jakethasnake:

I'll concede that this alpha male-rule held fast in the days when we settle things with clubs and other blunt objects, but those days are no more.
I don’t think the Alpha Male thing ever held fast in the sense of attracting women. (Example: savanna baboon: females choose males with male-female affiliation.)
00Kevin:

it doesn't matter what type of society exists.. If society ever failed people would resort to their basic instincts and the alpha male would dominate. So the question is who really is in control the man that hides behind society or the one that naturally doesn't have to?
Would the alpha male dominate? Most people would be the same size out in the ‘wild’. No steroids, protein powder, cattle farming to keep some of these guys super large. We would all be the skinny guy (although we would be cut) running around the wilderness. This makes more sense to me, I see skinny cut guys running around with super hot feminine women all the time.

The ‘large muscle’ thing, I think, has it’s parallels in breast implants and such. Girls may like to look at large muscles, but that is generally not where the attraction stops.

Besides, humans are MUCH more social than many animals. Usually, the ‘Alpha Male’ dominates through subversive measures, like having a great idea, rabble rousing, etc. We don’t take well to being dominated. (Neither do women! Look at feminism!)
Deep Dish:

'Alpha male' doesn't explain why chicks go for imaginative/creative skinny guys (like yours truly) over much hunkier men.
Exactly. If people were to see you, they may even misinterpret that they must be imaginative/creative and nice to get girls, when that is just your personality!
BobbDobbs:

This business is about improving our batting average. It's a continuum rather than an all-or-nothing situation.
Yes, the “alpha male” gets more girls that Mr. Nerd, but is it due to the fact that he is Mr. ToughGuy, or is it due to the fact that he just gets out there more?

Sometimes, girls are very interested in you when you first meet, even though you are not alpha, or act tough, or whatever. Why would they short-change themselves and settle right away?
Von Neuen:
But don't limit your understanding of the theory of Darwinism to just the Alpha Male facet, as there's more to it than that.
Yeah, I know. I looked into it, and the science is definitely more complicated then the popular “news headline” interpretations of it. Things like sexual dimorphism throw a great big monkey wrench into the process, leaving us scratching our heads.

I know people’s definitions of alpha differ, but what I am talking about are the people that run around, acting like Mr. ToughGuy, thinking that doing that gets girls attracted to them, and that it is the only thing that girls are attracted to.

I think that interpretation of it is dead wrong.

Guys who define the alpha male as whatever (like Jesus was an alpha male, etc., etc.) I have no problem with that, because they just end up re-defining the alpha male as someone whom they respect and admire.
Posted by Oxide:

I agree with the Alpha Male idea, but not the physical characteristic of it, but the idea of the certain mindset he posses.

For me Alpha male is (...)
Being the alpha male is fine, I have no problem with that. My question to you is: Do you think that all these things are the MAIN direct difference between getting the girl and not getting the girl?

There have been a few times when I have been “alpha” in the group, and have not gotten the girl. There have also been times when I was NOT “alpha” in the group, and GOT the girl. This seems to make no difference, the idea has no ground to stand on in relation to women. It can not even be explained beyond the simplistic pop-Darwinism.
Posted by jakethasnake:

If there were to be a nuclear war tommorrow and organized society as we know it would crumble, then most of us would probably have no choice but to bow down to the might of the alpha-leader, for our own survival. But the fact is that that isn't likely. So yes, the type of society (at least from a discussion standpoint) is quite relevant.
I don’t even think that there would be a Mr. Alpha-leader! At least, not to the extent that some people worship the Alpha-Male and give him superhuman qualities.
Posted by Santos:

In nature the one male dominates over all the other males and gets all the females to himself. He displays his power and fights for his dominance.
This is not always true. Things like sexual dimorphism, and female preference come into play. In some species, the females secretly mate with the so-called ‘beta’ males unbeknownst to the alpha.
There is not ONE alpha-male. There's hundreds. For every one alpha-male (DJ), there are five weaker males (AFCs).
Um, maybe we hang with different crowds, but I don’t see the mass weakness like you do. Out of the people that I hang with, none of them is really a leader, or an alpha in the traditional sense of taking control of everyone, yet, in other senses they would be considered alpha because they do what they want to do. But guess what? Their ‘pool of females’ or whatever includes most of the hottest girls.

I think the weaker males are outnumbered. Rather then alpha-male, I think it would be more correct (but still wrong) to say alpha-GROUP. As I find the dorkier guys to hang together and have to fight (in their own way) for the one or two attractive girls that happen to venture into their circle.
Each alpha-male controls a few females but not EVERY SINGLE ONE!
Is it really this way? All of the people that I meet that ‘think’ they are controlling all these girls, people just laugh at them behind their backs. They aren’t controlling anybody. Sure, you may have a few girls that like you, but that is just nature, not your ‘alphaness’.
There is one fundemental difference between human beings and the rest of the animal kingdom. We are far more intelligent. We have the ability to be judgemental, to analyze and to experience emotion.

This means women do not only judge us on our appearance, but on other factors as well. The strongest male doesn't always win anymore. Also, different women have different tastes in men. One woman's alpha-male is another woman's chump.
Absolutely.
I think being an alpha-male just means being a DJ. You can not possibly be the BEST human being on earth, but strive to be your own personal best.

If you are the ALPHA-MALE out of all your friends who you go clubbing with, then you are the alpha male. You will land the best female out of a particular group. Does that mean your mates won't get with the rest of that group? Not neccesarily.
No offense, but this is one of the silly misconceptions of alpha-ness. Just because you lead your friends to go clubbing, does not mean you will get the ‘best’ female of a particular group. It has little to do with it. Hell, if anything, I would say the ALPHA-FEMALE picks the best looking guy out of the group. (Best looking in the masculine sense.) But still, I know that even that may be far from the truth.

When it comes down to it, I really think that GIRLS should be the ones concerned about alpha. I ALWAYS see the alpha female with the guy that every girl thinks is hot. Sounds weird, but boy, do I have stories…
Posted by 00Kevin:

These rejects of men that you speak of must give their women something that satisfies these natural instincts. These women must be able to sense alpha qualities in these men or they wouldn’t be with them.

Today women are forced to settle with only a few of these qualities.
If you notice, you are now defining the alpha male as anything that women want in a man.

How do you know what the natural instincts of women are? Explain this to me. Hell, I am a man and I couldn't tell you exactly what the natural instincts of a MAN are!
Posted by jakethasnake:

You should refrain from attempting to villify others before you make any contributions of your own, you muck-raker. That brownsugah's stale as all hell... be gone.
Shh, don’t scare people away! Like I said, we don’t want this to be a spite war! :D
Posted by Julius_Caesar:

I believe that the alpha male, in a group, is simply the one who controls the group, in a group of comp wizzes the alpha male is the one who can code in the most languages, or the man who knows the most about FreeBSD. (...) and generally the comp wiz alpha will have his choice of the rare girl that is apart of the group. So, I think that alpha males are very real, just not concretly definible. (...) I think that women want the guy with the most power, the alpha, because of course, they want to be with the best, just like we want to be the the most attractive, they want to have children with the highest probablity for success in life. (...) but you want the best thing for you children, NATURALLY.
When you look at a woman, do you consciously consider how ‘fertile’ she is, and how well she could raise a child? Of course not! Why would females look at your mastery of FreeBSD and get wet? Or become attracted SIMPLY because a guy is smart, or successful?

When I say attraction, I mean gut level attraction. When you just look at a girl and how she acts and you become drawn to her. Like that.

Sure, sometimes the ‘sexiest’ guy HAPPENS to be the guy who can “code in the most languages”, and that may be the case for you, but sometimes he is not. I see where you are getting at, but the leader of the group does not get the best girls SIMPLY because he is the leader, there are other factors at work.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The whole point of this thread is :

Be Yourself and dont be afraid of it!

Chaos-Knight

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a few things other then Alpha-stuff
are what really what get the girls...

like:

1.Power - like having control over followers ect,
(but alpha-maleness is probably present)
2.Personality - you make her laugh and you always have fun
whatever you chose to do...
(doesn't require followers)
3.Money - but girls that are into you for money are tossers...
(unless you have money to burn and you are Using her
but pointless cause there's no love)

Anyway I agree that Acting Alpha is kinda lame
But naturaly Being Alpha is O.K...
I don't really define Muscle men as my translation of Alpha.
You can be built like Conan but a slave to a scrawny
Alpha-Leader.

Alpha-manness is most likely personality/mindframe
not really the muscles as some would see it.

my 2 yen

Julius_Caesar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ice,

Maybe I was not making myself clear, but you seem preoccupied with the animal characteristics of attraction. When I was talking about the comp group, and I said that the alpha comp could get the occasional girl from WITHIN THAT GROUP, I said nothing about "fertility." I was not talking about animal urges, I was talking about the effects of society and the group in question. Because think of it this way: If you are in a comp group and girls are apart of it, then all the people value computer skills, you like comps so you probably want your kids to be good a comps too, now if you want that, aren't you going to be most attracted to the alpha male in that group because he is the most overall skilled? yes. or so I believe. See nothing to do with fertility, but survival and positioning in a certain group. And by the way, you cant mix groups, these are controlled closed systems. Each group is unique in it requirements for alpha because you can't go about plopping alphas into different groups because each alpha has characteristics that let him control the enviroment in a specific group. If you take that comp wiz alpha and stick him with abunch of seven-two basket ball players, he becomes beta because he is not able to control the other people in the group. Thus alpha comp wiz becomes lamer beta basketball player and the term "alpha" becomes meaningless because he is no longer first, so you can't go about comparing alphas.

Now in your last post you said "Do you think that all these things are the MAIN direct difference between getting the girl and not getting the girl?", this is your argument? is it not? you are arguing if the "characterists" that an "alpha male" possesses(i can't spell) will help him in getting the girl? I think that it depends on the girl. The girl may have feeling that predispose her towards CHOOSING a "lesser" male. For instance, if she doesn't want all the attention or competition that the women of an alpha has, she is not likly to CHOOSE him, but one of the higher beta males. But, funidmentally speaking, if we talk about the male that has the best chance for survival in a group, then the alpha is the one, and you DO want your children to prosper in that group? so you would FUNDIMENTALLY want, or be ATTRACTED to, the alpha of a group because you want YOUR children you survive. Now this doesn't nessisarily mean you are looking for children with someone, but that is what sex is about, and attraction: children, so although you don't have children, in you mind you are assesing them as parents. I also think that if a women had to choose, between an alpha and a high beta, the one she would most LIKE to have children with, she would probably choose the alpha( assuming she is familar with the two and knows their characterists and is not judging soley on looks) because the question is not "which WOULD you pick" but theorhectically "which would you LIKE to pick" that hits the funidemetal attraction(animal, but not like dogs, the fundiment animal attractions FOR HUMANS). Which one SHE WOULD ACTUALLY PICK depends on HER personality, not the things that every human has placed inside them, the fundimentals of attraction.

And as for you comment: "When you look at a woman, do you consciously consider how ‘fertile’ she is, and how well she could raise a child" The anwser, as you so succintly stated is NO! I don't think about how fertile she is, BUT MY MIND IS DOING IT FOR ME! That is WHY guys like breasts and butts, because they ARE a sign of fertility, I don't think about why I like her, all I know is that I SURE AS HELL DO! I don't question it! If it were so easy to decide what we were fundimentally attracted to do you think that there would be any pedophiles or gay people that did want that(and I think I can say that most don't want it intially but are forced into accepting the DIFFERENCE, and end in liking it because there MINDS JUST LIKE IT, and they are happy). As for the part about raising children, I can't say that I have ever honestly thought about how good at raising my children a women would be, WHY? because it doesn't matter now a days, IF we were at war with savage aliens, and society as we know it collapsed, then I would sure as hell care about who was raising my children, but as children mostly raise themselves(now a days), its not something that I care about. But you seem to be taking this Darwinism thing to far, or not correctly correlating it with humans, because all those traits we are attracted to are very sublte, can I tell you why I like nice round firm breast or long shiny hair? NOPE, but I can tell you that I like them. So don't take the Darwin thing to far unless you know what you are talking about, which I am not convinced I am either because its seems to me that you seem to think that women CONSCIOUSLY CHOOSE which male that she is most attracted to, and that I believe is just not so. You can't really CHOOSE what you like, but you can CHOOSE who you are with.

Well enough of my rambling, I could do so much better if I could just talk to you. *shrug*. You sure have raised some interesting points.

Ave

icepick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Caesar,

Either you severly misunderstood me, or I probably haven't explained myself correctly. (I think it is the latter ;) )

I disagree with the entire pop-Darwinian thing, I mean, selecting mates based on how much 'success' your "subconcious" thinks they will confer on to your kids? I only brought up the whole fertility thing, because that is another argument of pop-Darwinism.

This is silly! Humans haven't had to 'fight' for survival for eons. I think the main cause of death before children has probably been disease and war for centuries.

Anyway, sure, hit me up on AIM if you want, icepickssdc. We are probably in agreement, and just saying the same thing with different words.

Brian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tough and dumb...

I used to like the whole Alpha Male parallel until I read Abraham Maslow's "The Higher Reaches of Human Nature."

In it he talks about observing groups of monkeys and finding that while the Alpha Males were busy defending their position as Alpha Males the lesser Beta Males were nabbing all the female monkeys behind their back!

The Alpha Males were getting laid, sure. But so were the Beta Males... and they didn't have to work so hard.

More on being an alpha male...

StockTrader

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think alot of this "Alpha male theory" is just a social construct that doesn't really show up much in the real world. Most of the richest people in the world are the opposite of alpha (Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, most of the internet/computer guys, save for a few brash individuals like Larry Elison of Oracle or Donald Trump). Most successful business guys aren't super macho, throwing around their "alpha ness" around. The only over the top alpha guys I can think of in business are mobsters, lol. The "too tough" John Gotti types.

It's vastly overrated IMO. If you display confidence, if you know what you want out of life (besides women), if you have EC, kino down, if you can get rapport, if you can display some sexuality, and if you act as if women will compliment your life (not completely define your life), you'll be ahead of 95% of the guys out there.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The alpha male isn't a myth, but it's a good thing we as humans have other things that negate the importance of being alpha.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alphaness is relative...

Put a bunch of people in a room and the one with the most skill will exude alphaness/leadership...the point is...everyone on this site is potential alpha to a group of retards.

An alpha male is a guy that can get things done. He has experimented with things. He's confident that he can get things done. If he had no confidence with whatever it is he's doing he probably wouldn't get things done. If he didn't derive some sort of enjoyment with doing what gives him the title of alpha male people wouldn't call him confident...it's like this...those that are unmotivated are known as beta.

Last edited:

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alpha is the guy who isnt afriad to do **** others woudnt. but that isnt always a good thing.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since when is an alpha male some macho tough guy? I think you're confusing alpha male with jerk (along with 90% of this board I might add).

An alpha male is simply a man with every trait perceived as desirable in their society. Kindness and compassion are some of these traits.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The alpha male shows greatness but the messiah male gets all the alpha males to work happily towards a common goal.

Don't get caught up with fairy tales and illusion...

People are products of their environment. Sometimes those who are considered beta would make a better alpha than those who are perceived as alpha. Leadership is luck of the draw.

BrWnSugaMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
DjDreamer - your entire post is flawed!

DjDreamer said...
but the messiah male makes all the alpha males work happily towards a common goal.
-WTF does this mean? Alpha Male means top dog, he doesn't work with anyone unless it furthers himself.

DjDreamer said...
Don't get caught up with fairy tales and illusion...
-WTF does this mean? Are you trying to say that Darwins Theory of Evolution is just a fair tale with no scientific basis whatsoever? Your entire post is very sketchy and incoherent.

DjDreamer
Sometimes those who are considered beta would make a better alpha than those who are perceived as alpha.
-Why is this? Those who are considered "beta" are followers not leaders, so what makes you think they would make a better "alpha" male, vice versa.

DjDreamer said...
People are products of their environment.
-Good, but how does this tie into the rest of your post?

Leadership is luck of the draw.
-Dum De Dum! You get the unofficial dumbest statement of the year award. Leadership is not "luck of the draw." So what your saying, is that if I sit at home playing video games, smoking pot, not going to college, living with parents...I will have an equal chance of being a leader when compared to someone who studies hard, has goals, lives on their own, goes to college, has amibition etc? Like you said...leadership is luck of the draw, so it really doesn't matter wtf I do b/c this sh!t is all random. I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one.

***Before you post nextime plz put a little bit of thought into what you are saying. These posts are long enough, and I would more than love to hear different points of views as long as you put some decent amount of thought into it.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BrWnSugaMan: WTF does this mean? Alpha Male means top dog, he doesn't work with anyone unless it furthers himself.
True, that's why I stated the messiah male (top alpha) makes all the other alpha's work "happily" towards a common goal.

Originally posted by BrWnSugaMan: -WTF does this mean? Are you trying to say that Darwins Theory of Evolution is just a fair tale with no scientific basis whatsoever? Your entire post is very sketchy and incoherent.
Buddha was aLpha, jesus was alpha, muhammed was alpha...man you gotta realize that being perceived as alpha is easy. Someone can make up a fairy tale promote it as fact and VOILA he is another alpha.

Concerning Charles Darwin, have you ever wondered why evolution is referred to as a theory?

Originally posted by BrWnSugaMan: Those who are considered "beta" are followers not leaders, so what makes you think they would make a better "alpha" male, vice versa
It's due to social injustice.

They did not have the oppurtunity for their leadership skills to blossum.

Was Hitler the right german to lead germany?

Originally posted by BrWnSugaMan: -Dum De Dum! You get the unofficial dumbest statement of the year award. Leadership is not "luck of the draw."
Bill Gates parents are extremely wealthy which gave him the oppurtunity to attend harvard and he made billions of dollars using the simple computer idea of GUI.

George "the Word spoiler" Bush leads the US due to his name/his lineage

There are no natural born leaders...there is no superior race.....................leadership is simply luck of the draw...