That male V thing below the waist...

old married dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What excercises can I do to get that area more defined?

Last edited:

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No, hes talking about the "v" shaped muscles that run down either side of the 6pack into the groin.

leg raises of various kinds, Also lying on you back and lifting your legs up to over your face (keeping them straight).

Those kind of exercises will tone the muscles up a bit, but I'm afraid the only real way to get more defination is to cut down your overall body fat %

good luck, Cure.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cure said:
Those kind of exercises will tone the muscles up a bit, but I'm afraid the only real way to get more defination is to cut down your overall body fat %
What is "tone"?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cure said:
No, hes talking about the "v" shaped muscles that run down either side of the 6pack into the groin.

leg raises of various kinds, Also lying on you back and lifting your legs up to over your face (keeping them straight).

good luck, Cure.
This is a good response. Most guys will hold the "spare tire" around their lower abdomen... so this will hide the V. Getting lean, like in the single digit bf% is the best way to have this muscle be visible.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
What is "tone"?
good point, its a stupid word.

Should have said- "doing these kind of exercises will increase muscle mass/density, leaving more muscle to show through once body fat is reduced"

Can "tone" mean that? its easier to type :p

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's at least partly genetics and the underlying bone structure of your hips.

I say this because seen guys with at least a partial bear gut that sort of have the v-shape, while at my leanest I was cut enough to have full six pack abs and you could see the ridges in my pecs from the muscle fiber bundles. I didn't even have a hint of the v at this time.

old married dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I did about 150 hanging leg lifts yesterday & I think it helped.

My bodyfat % is pretty low...I'm 5'8" & 150 lbs.

talrock

Don Juan
Reaction score
commonly known as "v-taper"... the back in general should be worked out using exercises that promote thickness and width. the v-taper emphasizes width, and using the lats, which flare out from underneath the arm pit to the lower back (generally). exercises for width would be lat pulldowns, pullups/chin ups, cable rows, machine rows, and deadlifts are also a great mass builder for your entire back. also, I'm a powerlifter and have a bit of lovehandles, I still have a bit of V-taper. When I drop more weight in this area, and by doing those exercises, your back looks bigger while your waist gets smaller... here is a good article, even though Dorian Yates' back is ridiculous...

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bodybuilding/building-a-monster-upper-back/