Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thanksgiving, the American Holiday?

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
thanksgiving is the first american holiday, its where the pilgrims who came over here and the indians that were already here got together for a big feast. the indians taught the pilgrims how to survive here and how to farm the land here.
they all brought food and gathered over by plymoth rock and ate and they prayed over their food giving thanks to god and to each other. "thanks for giving us life, thanks for giving us this land, thanks for giving us food and thanks for giving us each other."
And then the white people slaughtered the indians, how romantic, lets eat turkey!!!

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sad but true story...

My mom called me and asked me to come with her to my new step dad's house because I had never met his side of the family (my mom just got remarried)

So I have her pick me up since it's out of town and i don't know how to get there.

First, you have to understand my mom is a religion nut, all of her programmed stations in her car are gospel stations (i hate riding with her), goes to church every other day of the week, etc... one of thoose women.

Now, I am in the back seat playing with my 5 year old sister and I asked her, what was today?

So she said, "today is Thanksgiving"

So I said, "what is thanksgiving"

and she said "i don't know, mommy what is thanksgiving mean?"

So my mom blurts out proudly, "thanksgiving is a day that you give thanks to god"

So I say "mom, you have 3 college degrees, and you don't know what thanksgiving is?"

By now my step dad is cracking up.

So she says "It's the day christopher columbus discovered america'

So I say "first off, Christopher didn't discover America, you can't discover something that has had people living there for hundreds of years already, and he wasn't the first person from Europe to hit this contintinet... that feet belongs to the guy was named after"

"Second off, even if that was correct, which it wasn't, that's columbus day, not thanksgiving"

Sad that a grown woman, that is college educated, doesn't know why we have thanksgiving and what it stands for.

About 6 months ago, my ex GF tried to convince me that the New Testiment was an updated version of the Old Testiment.. At that point in time I knew it wasn't going to work

wootapotky

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually Amerigo Vespucci wasn't the first European to come to the Americas. It was thought for a while that he was though.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_021.html

About 6 months ago, my ex GF tried to convince me that the New Testiment was an updated version of the Old Testiment.. At that point in time I knew it wasn't going to work
:crackup: It amazes me how dumb some people can be.

It also amazes me how little Americans know about our own country. And I get embarassed when a European corrects an American about simple stuff we should know about.

blackbirdbeatle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Us Canuckistans celebrate thanksgiving on the second Monday in October(After having it on many other dates prior to the 50's mainly Rememberance day, Nov. 11). The first thanksgiving was actually celebrated on Newfoundland in the 1500's. The first Canadian one was to celebrate the Prince of Wales(Later king Edward) getting better after being sick. Now I don't know what the hell it is for except another day to eat Christmas type foods. :rock:

I guess the only history knowledge I retained from history class was useless.