Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Termination Fee

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score
My contract with gay AT&T is over in June, my birthday actually comes around this year, Feb 29 is a leapyear. I want a sidekick LX, AT&T is asking for a 175 dollar early termination fee and thats whats stopping my parents from getting me what i want...is there a way to talk them out of giving me the fee, anything you guys have said in the past that works?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The early termination fee is just that - a fee that they assess you for ending your contractual obligation with them earlier than expected. It's virtually impossible for you to talk your way out of, as the specific legal language surrounding the fee is already agreed to by you (or rather, by your parents) when they initially accepted the contract with AT&T.

In other words, you aren't going to get out of paying the fee if you want to leave early, unless AT&T does something to invalidate their contract with you (which is about as likely as you winning the lottery and being struck by lightning in the same day).

Now, there are ways to get around it - for example, buying a Sidekick directly from an online store or eBay that is unlocked. Such a phone would work with AT&T, but the internet wouldn't work. Or, you can find a phone that is already programmed with AT&T as the default network - this will basically mean you just change the IMEI number AT&T assigns to your account (you call them, tell them you want to change your number to a new phone - easy process) - and the phone will be completely and fully functional.

Odds are good that if you have to have a Sidekick this is the best - and cheapest - option you have.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I told them I just moved to an area with my friend and I have no cell phone signal.. (I looked them up on the Internet of places that don't have coverage with t-mobile.. and I complained about no signal at the place I'm staying and that I'd like to terminate my contract... I didn't pay a termination fee.. But then again I quit T-Mobile using that technique..

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only problem I'd see with that is AT&T would have an easily accessible record of cell phone towers your phone automatically uses based on where you are located at any given point in time. If they had even the slightest suspicion that you weren't actually there they could find out with one click of the mouse that you hadn't been within hundreds of miles of the area you claimed to be living near. :p

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score
****, nothing is working haha, I had the idea that I could tell them that my phone got stolen, then they would cancel my contract, but my mom told me that they dont cancel the contract but instead put the account on hold, and the phone that got "stolen" is unusable to the person that "stole" it.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can't get out of it. Gotta pay or be ready to get sued.

AT&T uses sim cards or infrared?

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just stop using that phone, and purchase the lowest plan. You may have to pay $20 a month for the next few months. Sometimes your new phone company will discount your bill to offset that cost to get you as a new customer. ;)