Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Taking risks by training your ego

Taz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm gonna start off by telling you what exactly your ego is. Your ego is located in the brain, and psychologists believe that it comprises the main component of your consciousness. So your ego is a component of your body, just like a kidney, a leukocyte, or an eardrum. Like all these body parts, its ultimate purpose is to keep the body alive. Similarly, the ego has a specific function unique only to itself.

So what is the function of the ego? It's function is simply to decide whether or not something is worthy of taking a risk for. That is its ONLY job. The problem is, the ego is not very good at gauging HOW MUCH of a risk something is. That's where anxiety (or too much thinking) comes from.

For example, have you ever been driving toward an intersection about to make a turn, and the traffic light is yellow, right on the verge of turning red? You see the oncoming traffic speeding up to make the light as well, but you're in such a rush to get there you think "Aw, what the heck!" and step on the gas to take that risk?

You just risked you're whole life so you could make it somewhere a minute earlier. Was that risk worth it? Probably not.

But then why is it that when you see that incredibly gorgeous girl across the room, you freeze up and simply cannot gather up the courage to go talk to her? You may notice that your mind conjures up reasons why it COULDN'T work, excuses like "I don't have enough DJ skills yet" or "she's way out of my league." This is your ego talking. It has already decided that this risk is not worth taking. But we all know that its better to fail than to not act.

The risk you're facing here is: YOU'LL EITHER GET HER PHONE NUMBER OR YOU WON'T. That's it, that's the only risk. A lot more worthy of a risk than arriving somewhere a little early vs. dying in a horrible car wreck. See how your ego is horrible at gauging how risky something is?

If you ever find yourself stuck deciding on something, think about all the reasons why it COULD work, and don't even fathom the the thought of why it COULDN'T work. Our society is full of too many naysayers that are always thinking of reasons why something won't work. Be different.

Now this is going to be getting a little deep here, as you question who and what "you" are. Remember from earlier that your ego is a part of your body, no more important than your heart or muscles. It is where most of your thoughts come from. For overly anxious people, it is essentially "you". It neglects the body from sleep by staying up all night, and it strains the more useful ears by listening to loud music. It drinks toxic beer to satisfy itself, rather than precious water that the body desires. It causes conflict within the system. It wants to think that it is the leader of the whole system, but does it tell the heart to beat? Does it tell the lungs to breathe? No, you're body is much smarter. (Some believe that this is one reason we sleep, so the body can free itself from the ego for a third of the day.) You may be thinking, "That was ME that decided to stay up all night and listen to loud music!" That's because right now, as you're reading about how insignificant your ego is, it is actually trying to defend itself from its past actions, and resisting this new type of knowledge. It's trying to dominate and convince you're whole "self" that the ego is king. But there is a "higher self" (the superego) that is much more intelligent than the ego.

Now that you know this, you can begin to understand why you think the way you do. The ego is not all bad, in fact it is vital to our survival. Without it we'd be walking off cliffs! But remember that it serves one purpose only, to make a decision based on the risk. It will try its hardest to dominate your thoughts and control everything, but you must keep it in its place. "You" are not just your ego, or your brain, you are a whole system of energy that is constantly maintaining itself and keeping itself alive.

So how do you overcome your fragile little ego? By reading what I've just written, and understanding what your ego really is, you're halfway there. The next step is to apply what you have learned, because "knowing without doing is not really knowing."