Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Switching from P90X to weight training: need advice on my routine

-=Ice-T=-

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been doing P90X for the last 6 weeks or so. It is a great program and has really helped me cardiovascularly. However, at 5'10" and 140 lbs, I am a relatively skinny guy and need to bulk up. While on P90X I have not been able to gain as much weight as I'd like, although it has added more strength, definition, and given me a 6-pack.

That is why I would like to begin a weight training program. As a student at my university, I have free access to their gym which is state of the art and close to my house. I plan on going three days a week and have made a workout routine for myself. Please note that the excercises with 4 sets include an initial warm-up set. Here is my routine:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders
Bench Press (4 sets, 8 reps)
Incline Dumbbell Press (4 sets 8 reps)
Military Press (4 sets 8 reps)
Triceps Extensions (4 sets 8 reps)
Dips (4 sets to failure)
Shrugs (4 sets 8 reps)
Side Lateral Raises (3 sets 8 reps)
Front Lateral Raises (3 sets 8 reps)
Rear Deltoid Raises (3 sets 8 reps)

Day 3: Legs
Squat (4 sets 8 reps)
Leg Press (4 sets 8 reps)
Lying Leg Curls (4 sets 8 reps)
Seated Leg Extensions (4 sets 8 reps)
Standing Calf Raises (4 sets 8 reps)
Seated Calf Raises (4 sets 8 reps)

Day 5: Arms/Back
Deaflifts (4 sets 8 reps)
Barbell Rows (4 sets 8 reps)
Pull-ups (4 sets til failure)
Barbell Curls (4 sets 8 reps)
Hammer Curls (4 sets 8 reps)
Lateral Pulldowns (4 sets 8 reps)
Preacher curls (4 sets 8 reps)

Please critique my routine, including the specific exercises, number of sets/reps, and volume of the workouts. ANY and ALL advice is welcome. This will be the first time I am lifting weights in years (besides P90X) and I want to make sure I have everything down properly to avoid injury and have maximum gain. Thanks in advance.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please critique my routine, including the specific exercises, number of sets/reps, and volume of the workouts. ANY and ALL advice is welcome.
This is the worst thing you can ask anyone to do. Just keep doing what your doing with good form.

As you gain experience you will begin to develop specific goals for yourself and you will become familiar with the exercises that are effective in getting you to those goals.

Think of YOUR routine as a big slab of clay that you get to mold, shape and develop. Over time you will be adding, replacing or getting rid of exercises based on what you find works (for your goals).

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bodies are all different so maybe that would work for you but i honestly think you're working in too many exercises for your body on a given day.

You'll tire yourself out really quickly provided you're giving it MAXIMUM effort. Plus a lot of those chest exercises will hit the shoulders, etc. So you won't be able to lift @ your 'freshest,' point.

Try something like, eg.

shoulders/chest.

(shoulders) Military press 3x5
(chest) incline press 3x5
(chest) flat press 3x5
(shoulders) lateral raises 4 x 8
(shoulders) Rear delt raise/pull (Use the cable) 4 x 8
(chest) cable flies 4 x 12

Then the next time you do those muscles you use the SAME WEIGHTS. (more reps)

eg. the 3x5 = 3x8
the 4 x 8 = 4 x 12.

Once you hit the 12 reps, increase the weights.

..just my 2 cents, something i found that worked for me