Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

"Suntan Lotion"

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DEELOO:
what products should i buy
(what suntan lotion spf is too high? basically anything below 15 is good right?
and whats this other tanning cream you mentioned? i heard "tanning oils" are bad for you. so what type of product would u reccomend?)

Shiftkey: i can still get a tan on my arm and leg and face if i had a shirt on... i was just mentioning what i normally do. but if i just went to ttan and not surf... then i could go without a shirt.. altho its hard to get the suntan lotion on all areas......

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the only thing you should buy is some vitamin b. when summer started and i would be out in the sun and get burned i looked for some info on the internet. it said b vitamins would make the sunburn not hurt as bad. well i had some b12 so i took i think 500-1000 mg. and after a shower i felt fine. now the sun doesnt bother me any. a tan is the bodies natural defense against sunburn. drink alot of water, take some b12 if you do get burned, and take in some sun.

deeloo

Don Juan
Reaction score
the one you linked is perfectly fine..

again. the spf only indicates its duration, not the intensity.

Big-J

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Isn't SPF 15 entering Sun-block territory, rather than sun-tan territory?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My god. It's amazing to see a thread in which so many people state with such authority the most senseless of things.

Let's start out with SPF. SPF stands for "Sun Protection Factor" and is the standard means of expressing a sunscreen's effectiveness in protecting the skin. The SPF value is the length of time a person can be exposed to UV light without burning, when a sunscreen is applied compared to when it is not. For example, an SPF of 15 means you can be exposed 15 times longer without burning.

Find a Salon Certified by Smart Tan International. They will be able to provide you with a skin type analysis. From that you should be able to determine the minimum of SPF protection you're going to need. An SPF 2 will be quite insufficient unless you're black, which it doesn't sound like you are. For most people, a minimum of SPF15 full-spectrum is recommended.

Definitely check out California Tan's line of SPF products. They have VitaTan in them which rocks. You may have to special order them, but it's definitely worth the cost if you're serious about your tan. Best of luck.

As for my tanning "credentials", deeloo, check out my pictures @ www.jbspencer.com/jeremy - then kindly tell me I don't know anything about tanning.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
deeloo, a tan literally is skin cells that are damaged from the sun. Sunscreen helps to prevent that damage, regardless of SPF meaning degree or length of protection. Also, if wearing sunscreen helped develop a tan, because SPF "blocks the bad UV only," every tanning product would boast 45+ SPF. Therefore wearing sunscreen is counter productive and your argument makes no sense.

However, you are correct that a sunburn is counter productive to getting a tan. But the best way to avoid a sunburn is knowing your limit and not staying in the sun for too long.

And last time I checked, the human brain isn't contained in our skin, and being tan doesn't make you smarter or more knowledgable about tanning. In fact most dermatologists are very pale and they know plenty about tanning. But yes I do have a tan.

lynx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Having grown up in Latin America and lived in Europe and the US, I have experienced tanning in various environments, including beaches, snow, cold places, humid places, etc. I'm basically a light-skinned Latino. I'm 37. I have dark hair. My experience might not apply to everybody, and the tolerance of your skin is what you should go by. As some have mentioned, find out how long you can stay in the sun without burning. Chapped and burned skin is a sign of skin damage and can lead to wrinkling and even skin cancer. Tanning, on the other hand, is nature's way of adjusting to the sun. Slowly build up your tan. Don't try to get a tan in one day. Spend 10 minutes in the sun for a couple of days and then increase your exposure slowly but don't stay out too long. Even dark-skinned people, including black people, can sunburn. I've used sunscreens but sometimes they seem too oily or just don't feel comfortable. If you want to use a sunscreen, you will still get a tan, but more slowly. I find that using a sunscreen helps if I stay out in the sun longer than my skin is used to. I'm reading a book called "Never Be Sick Again" by Ray Francis, a believer in natural medicine. He discusses the pros and cons of sun exposure. His website is www.beyondhealth.com

Some people on this forum mentioned drinking lots of water and using vitamin B. That might work. Whatever steps you take, be cautious. The sun is more of a friend than an enemy despite the medical profession's warnings. For thousands of years, humans spent most of their lives outdoors cultivating food or looking for food, and they didn't die of skin cancer. Their skins became resistant to the sun damage.

deeloo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by [T]he bishop
As for my tanning "credentials", deeloo, check out my pictures @ www.jbspencer.com/jeremy - then kindly tell me I don't know anything about tanning.
i'm not talking about you.. im talking to those people who said you shouldnt wear any SPF sunblock if you want to tan.. which you have disproved here.. and which is also my point.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not totally sure, but those people who said you can't get a tan while wearing sunscreen are retards.

I'm southern Irish, and if anyone knows about irish history, the spanish armada crashed near southern ireland, so theres a lot of spanish blood in me. My dad is incredibly tan, and my whole family tans really easy.

But I can also burn pretty easily, so if i'm ever out i always put sunscreen on, and i can get a very nice tan from it. Usually SPF 30.

I read somewhere that spf isn't proportional: 15 is not half the protection of 30. its something like 95% UV protection, whereas 30 is like 97%, and 45 is like 98-99%. so having a 6 would still give you good protection, and still be able to get a tan. Your skin cells don't need insane amounts of UV to be able to tan, they are very sensative, and unless you want skin cancer i suggest you use at least spf 15. Again i'm just regurgitating info i heard a while ago, possible on this board (or anything else). I'd just recomend getting some 15 and tan. Just stay out there for like an hour and i'm sure you'll notice a difference.

Peace Vincent

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one ever said you can't get a tan with sunscreen on. What we are saying is that if getting a tan is your goal, wearing sunscreen will make tanning harder.

Look, it's not that complicated. With sunscreen you have to stay in the sun 2 hours to get any sort of tan. Without you can stay out 30 minutes to acheive the same results. (Numbers are hypothetical incase you're braindead) Which is more efficient??

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well im not fond of cancer... and i do get a lot of moles.. so im pretty sure spf is a MUST for me.

is there any way to keep ur tan longer..? cuz they dont stay long at all.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SPF won't prevent cancer if it just makes you stay in the sun longer, or long enough to get a tan with it on. Contrary to what Deeloo's pearl of wisdom <sarcasm> was, nothing filters out "bad" UV from the sun only. Tanned skin IS sun/UV DAMAGED skin. Period.

If you agree with current scientific opinion you have two choices.
1) Risk cancer and get a tan.
2) Stay white and stay at low risk for cancer.

However, if you do get a tan, you have less risk of getting skin cancer if you don't get 1st degree burns (sunburn). The more burned you get, the greater your risk.

You can get a tan by (hypothetical numbers again):
1) Putting on lotion with SPF and staying out for 2 hours every day.
2) Put no lotion on and stay out for 30 minutes every day.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiftkey

You can get a tan by (hypothetical numbers again):
1) Putting on lotion with SPF and staying out for 2 hours every day.
2) Put no lotion on and stay out for 30 minutes every day.
damn how white are you?

you stay out that long in houston without a shirt on (and i assume youre damn white), so you will get damn burned...

im kinda dark and i almost got burned with 30 mins....or maybe the sun was waaaay too strong that day.....i remeber it was like 96 degrees or something so i guess

deeloo

Don Juan
Reaction score
lmao

shiftkey is officially retarded in my book.

15 spf doesnt make the 1.5 hour difference.. there may be a difference, but very little.. at most 15 minutes to get the same effect, it doesnt hinder it that much.. i wear suncream and i tan just as well as when i dont.. however when i dont wear suncream i tend to get burnt easily.. so wear protection.. and if you are that impatient and stubborn about not wasting 15 minutes.. you can always put those supertanning gel on which enhances the tan while giving you protection.

NOT WEARING PROTECTION IS SIMPLY NOT THE WAY TO GO, and that works in everything.. sex, tan, you name it.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently I needed to put the words HYPOTHETICAL NUMBERS in bold caps. I even said it twice. How stupid are you?

And deeloo, you basically just agreed with what I've been saying all along.

there may be a difference, but very little.. at most 15 minutes to get the same effect
So what you could do is save those 15 minutes, not waste money on sunscreen, and get just as tan, quicker.

I also never said SPF 15, because the numbers were HYPOTHETICAL.