Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Studying Comedy?

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well i feel like ive been in a drought lately as far as comedy is concerned.

I love comedy and i think i have a quick wit.. but lately i just havent been coming up with stuff.

Part of it may have to do with the fact that i dont talk a lot in class.

Seems like the more you want it the more it doesnt come to you.

I know in the past i would just keep comin up with new stuff like every other second, and then id figure im saying too many jokes and should stop. And then no more would come to me lol!

Anyways, what do yall (That actually KNOW about this) think about studying comedy?
What do you think i should do?

Id like to master comedy.

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch:
- older SNLs- maybe some of the "Best ofs" for certain people

- Family Guy- I reccomend buying both DVD sets. Watch them over and over and you'll pick up so many little lines. I have unintentionally, just because I watch it all the time because I love the show

- Simpsons- same as Family Guy

- Comedy movies- comedies that are more dialogue-oriented will be better, even some with more subtle humor will be good (ex. Big Lebowski); movies like Old School and Road Trip, though funny, probably won't do you much good

- watch Quentin Tarantino movies (and others with great dialogue)- there are so many great lines and sayings in Pulp Fiction; try picking up on the way they talk, act, etc.

- go see standup if you're old enough, if not, watch it on TV

Now, none of those are really, truly studying comedy, but they're easy things you can do without actually having to really do some work and study it. By watching all those things you'll probably gain some inspiration, pick up on some good words and sayings, etc.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
see, i dont want to rely on watching comedy.

usually it doesn help unless ur watching it on a regular basis.. and even then it doesnt fully became part of you

i want to develop my own comedy.

ANYWAYS, any other suggestions? Come on i know some ppl on this site study comedy. I know RedXL does. I dnno how to contact him tho

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I study stand-up comedy a lot. But I'm not any good at it. I wish I was.

I can reccomend books for you and cheap DVDs of comedy to get. I know some good forums about it.

The biggest lesson that I cannot emphasize enough is that stand-up comedy is only 10% what you say and 90% how you say it. (much like DJing). I've seen some of the most unfunny writing be hilarious when performed and vice versa.

The best way to come up with material that I've found is hang out with people that somehow bring out your humor. Jot down anything funny you come up with. I've found that it's almost impossible to sit alone in a room and try to think up funny material.

For more information. My AIM is Limdallion

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like most slumps, it's probably more to do with confidence rather than ability, unless you are really doing things very different.

As it's creative, you've got to look at what's interrupting your flow.

It's a bit like writers block. Start writing and it will come.

cinephile

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Comedy lessons

Comedy is interesting because it only the reaction from others that tells you if its right. The best way to get better is just to go do open mike nights. Most comedy clubs have them. The best thing about them is you not only learn what works but what does'nt work as well. I think this the bigest problem that people have when trying to be funny,is simply working too hard on jokes that just are'nt funny to begin with.

If you are not into telling jokes ( being the human punchline machine) you could also try improv classes. These are a lot of fun in that essentially you are doing SNL type sketch humor. It is also a lot easier in that you are working in group so your success/failure is not all dependent on you. Improv is also great for helping you think on your feet and recognize opportunities in conversation/situations around you.

sfalexi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dapper Swindler
I study stand-up comedy a lot. But I'm not any good at it. I wish I was.
Don't "study" it persay, but just watch it and enjoy it. And every now and then, in a conversation, you'll remember what someone once said on comedy central, and it'll pop out your mouth, and everyone else will die laughing.

Alexi

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well usually my jokes are situation specific. Like i said i dont think them up. They just pop up in a situation. Generally what happens is ill find a connection with another word or something (subconciously).. or find something odd about a certain situation. ALthough lately ive got nothin.
cinephile: Doin real standup, even in a cheapo place sounds like fun. Ill have to try that sometime ( when i actually have the jokes and confidence to do it)
Yea i also have trouble with improv... i guess because im not so relaxed you know? if i was fully relaxed id probly be a master at it. Everything in your mind flows more easily when youre relaxed, ive noticed.

Btw... all standups write their **** down correct? Do they usually keep a notebook and write a joke down when it comes to them? And then they just try to phrase it well for the stage? (thats one thing... im not as good at the delivery..altho i got the jokes).
I would highly doubt the standups just come up with **** on stage. They must pre plan it..even in the conversational form.

sfalexi: Oh and i dont like telling other peoples jokes. Feels lame. Thats another problem with watching comedy central.

Sometimes ill see what made the joke a joke that they said.. but i seem to get REALLY specific about it. Not sure if i should do that. You know.. trying to find out the formula.?

Maybe i should keep a little notepad if i come up with jokes.

Anyways, any more Specific pieces of Advice?

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
I find what keeps me relatively sharp is reading. The more reading I do, the funnier I am( I am serious).

Just reading sosuave is OK for me, but I havent read much lately, and I have been average:(

It works!

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The underlining nature of comedy is hatred. Cruelty is humor, humor is cruelty. To humor is to attack. Half of a joke is the truth; a joke would not be a joke if it was not somehow true. Under repressive regimes, satirists visciously assault institutions but say “Just kidding!” to avoid being thrown in jail or killed. Jokes allow an avenue for us to express things we truly want to say without the accountability. It is no surprise professional comedians are depressed individuals, nor why guys whom are comedians towards the ladies have problems getting laid; they are full of such hate. Look at any comedian—Jerry Seinfeld, Lewis Black, Adam Carolla, David Letterman, Margaret Cho, Dave Attell, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Jim Carrey—and underscoring them is hatred, directed either inwardly or outwardly. Get in better touch with your dark side.

Professional comedians often spend six months or more perfecting a five minute routine.

Sweet Ken

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
(sorry in advance for the length.)

I do standup part time and I hope to one day make a living at it. I just got started and have only done little dinky local spots, but I've gotten some good laughs before. I actually do study comedy, and break down the great ones to see what it is that works for them, and it's really helped not only my routine but my overall wit.

-Part of being funny is just paying attention. To make someone laugh, I don't have to do much, just point out something around me, and my thoughts on it. Life is just hilarious when you think about it. That's why so many comedians only talk about their everyday lives-that's funny enough as it is. In essence, a comedian is guy that simply puts a funny take on what they see. That's really all they do, that's what they're paid for.

-Another part is being smart. For the most part, comedians are pretty smart people. Of course guys like Dennis Miller and Lewis Black are smart, but guys like Dave Chapelle, Dave Attell, Denis Leary are really bright, intelligent guys that could have succeeded in any number of careers. Even the "dumb" comics that are considered low brow-Larry the Cable Guy, Adam Corolla, Jimmy Kimmel especially-are smarter than the average person. Rodney Dangerfield is a great example of that. Don't get me wrong though-there are plenty of idiots in the field. I could start an entirely new thread on that.

-Combining the above two tips, being well read helps, and reading the newspaper from time to time is great. THERE'S some real comedy for you. Politics, sports, business-it's a gold mine, and it's completely renewable. If you ever watch the "Headlines" segment on the Tonight Show, realize that none of the clips sent in are made up. The newspaper is really just one big punchline if you look at it carefully.

-The bare bones of not just comedy, but what makes people laugh, is doing something unexpected. I think that laughter is simply how we react to something we didn't expect to happen, in the same way we sneeze when a particle of dust enters our nose. It's a reflex. It's how our brain says "I didn't see that coming." That's why no one laughs at jokes they've heard before. If you want to make someone laugh, surprise them-give them a new experience.

-To go with the above tip, you have to be willing to take a chance. It's cliche for a black guy to talk about being black, but back in the 60's and 70's, it was extremely controversial for Richard Pryor and **** Gregory to say what they said. Red Foxx, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin-they're not funny because they say offensive or lewd things, they're funny because they're challenging. They challenge how their audience thinks, how they themselves think, how society thinks. They press the buttons that few are brave enough to press. They take the risk of failing and being labeled a hack, just going for shock value. But that risk is what separates them from the rest of the pack.

-Above all, HAVE FUN. If you don't think somethings funny, no one else will. Focus on having a good time (actually, don't focus. Thinking too much prevents most fun.)

-you'd be surprised how much work can go in to a little 5 minute set, like deep dish mentioned. I have a 70 page notebook that I've filled half way with potential jokes or funny observations, and I've gotten maybe 10, 15 minutes out of it. And the rehearsal is even more extreme. I know guys that can do their routine-including the way they move, talk, where they look- blindfolded. Some guys that talk to audience members always talk to whoever is sitting in a particular seat every night.

-And yes, you have to write everything down. EVERYTHING. If i don't put something to paper within 5 minutes of thinking of it, even if it's killer material, I'm never going to remember it, and it goes to waste.

-any decent comedian comes up with his own stuff. Unfortunately, most comedians are hacks and rip off other people's stuff. It's an extremely competitive field.

Panda 2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a post I made in a topic about talking and having humour, it's just some stuff I've learned along the way. I really look forward to reading what these guys here before me have written, I'm gonna read that right now. Anyway, here's what I wrote.
Originally posted by Panda 2000
A good thing to know about humour is that a person thinks something is funny when there are two contrasting or completely different emotions in one given situation, story or observation. It may seem far fetched at first, but when you think about funny stuff and search for contrasting emotions in it, you begin to see what I mean (by the way I myself didn't come up with that completely by myself). The sense of being superior to something or someone also initiates humour and laughter and a sudden understanding of things initiates laughter too - you know how sometimes you're studying something and you don't get it and then someone explains it to you and you suddenly realize that it's easy and you smile? That's also why jokes have a punchline - to build up contrasting emotions but keep them seperated and then combine those (by now stronger) emotions all at once with the punchline.
A nice and obvious example of this is the stand up comedy at the end of every Seinfeld episode - he takes something boring and ordinary from everyday life and then relates them with something different and extraordinary. And then usually acts out a situation involving all that stuff (like when he says how a nose job is called a rhinoplasty, which is kind of like comparing you to a rhino - isn't it bad enough that your nose is big as it is and they have to compare you to a rhino?)
There's also something about this on howstuffworks.com.
I'd say just be confident about your sense of humour and observe everything that goes on around you carefully, you can make lots of funny remarks about that.

Another example from Seinfeld (although I don't think his jokes are really that ha-ha funny, because they are a bit obvious, but that's why they're a good example), I just found this on the net: What is a date really, but a job interview that lasts all night? The only difference is that in not many job interviews is there a chance you’ll wind up naked.
See, job interview - boring, naked or sex - not that boring, he combines those two and also has a kind of a punchline at the end which makes it more sudden and thus more funny.