Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

StrongLifts Bench press: developing a “long” breast

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for five weeks now. I’m 170 cm, 64.8 kg, currently comfortably benching 50 kg, will probably plateau at 70 kg or so.

I see a development where I’ve gained muscles higher up on my chest, not further down closer to the nipples. I’m concerned where this will go in the long run.

There are many approaches to building a chest. The other exercises in StrongLifts play in, surely (squat, OHP, barbell row, deadlift). Other approaches are incline/decline bench press, flies, etc.

What do I need to do to gain a “long” chest, not only “buns” high up? Something that plays well with StrongLifts is relevant.

Last edited:

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe I should rephrase:

What exercises should I do (and how) in order to build an aesthetically pleasing chest when regular exercises build muscles high up on the chest? (squat, over-head press, barbell row, regular bench, and deadlift)

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It may be your bar position is too high up while benching. Bench press itself works lower chest well, where as overhead press builds upper chest. Make sure the bar is touching at or below your nipples.

Also keep in mind that how your chest will look is genetic. I have extremely long arms relative to my body, so my chest will always look weaker. It’s just how the biomechanics of levers play out.

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I will follow your advice. Another thing is that muscles maybe grow at different speed. The OHP might have had strong effect than bench press, and that the latter will catch up over time. Speculating.

firstbornunicorn

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You will not plateau at 70kg bro! 100kg is totally doable as a 1 rep max (at least) for essentially any male.
What you describe is a very genetic thing. The same exercise with the same 5x5 and linear progression made me gain more muscle in my lower chest and hardly any in my upper chest.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Maybe I should rephrase:

What exercises should I do (and how) in order to build an aesthetically pleasing chest when regular exercises build muscles high up on the chest? (squat, over-head press, barbell row, regular bench, and deadlift)
Decline targets lower chest, incline targets upper chest

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bench press with bar is useless, swap it with dumbbell bench press.
This is the source for information I currently use (search for dumbbell):

StrongLifts seems to prefer bar, hence. Why prefer dumbbells?

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the first time I read someone growing upper chest from bench press instead of lower one.

OP are you sure your execution is correct? I'm afraid you risk shoulder injuries if you dont check your form.

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the first time I read someone growing upper chest from bench press instead of lower one.

OP are you sure your execution is correct? I'm afraid you risk shoulder injuries if you dont check your form.
I think I do. I generally rely on this page when I'm in doubt:

I find form for bench press comparatively easier, more straightforward. It's not like you can mess up your back. Maybe I'm trivialising? I lift in a power rack, so that's rather safe.

The growth of upper chest can be largely explained with the over-head press (it's nothing excessive though), surely?

Last edited:

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would recommend doing dips as well

You should always have energy for them, even at the end of a workout