Stronglift's 5x5 vs Starting Strength

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I'm 5'8, 170 and I bench right under 300 pounds, i deadlift 430 and I squat 550 pounds.
Do you squat to full depth? I doubt it. Your squat should not be 120 lbs higher than your deadlift, should be the other way around.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Do you squat to full depth? I doubt it. Your squat should not be 120 lbs higher than your deadlift, should be the other way around.
Shorter people are better at squatting than tall people, so his stats are probably fine if he is squatting way below parallel.

BackBreaker, it is possible to squat 3x a week, since your body gets used to it and you're not exactly squatting more than 300lbs at this stage.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I assure you I know what I'm doing.

I just don't post in this forum here becuase it's full of crap information.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've basically done both in one form or another. I'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 and the squats can kick your butt when you get into the 400 range. The thing is though that I don't get sore and I have trimmed up.

3x5 works, but it doesn't force a person to burn as many calories off. I did it for football and found that eventhough I got stronger, I got out of shape doing it for a while. While 5x5 enhances your endurance and power, 3x5 is just power.

I would say that to get it would best to combine the 2 with doing Stronglifts first and then changing it up with the 3x5 method. In fact, when I get to the point where I'm doing reps with 1.5x my body weight, I'm doing 3x5 along with more sprints to keep up my progress.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
I'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 and the squats can kick your butt when you get into the 400 range.
What do you deadlift?

And I'm with Kerpal. No way can you squat 550 and only dead 430, unless of course you've got a suit on. And backbreaker, if its full of crap information and you don't post, please do just that.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
It's light for right now, around 400 max.
That's reasonable, but maybe I mis-read above. Your doing squats for 400+x5?

"I'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 and the squats can kick your butt when you get into the 400 range."

Maybe you are referring to the situation. I'd like to see anyone legit squatting 400+ for reps doing 5x5 3x a week, week in week out. Well maybe Bolton could do it, but he'd be training with less then 50% of his max :).

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
That's reasonable, but maybe I mis-read above. Your doing squats for 400+x5?

"I'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 and the squats can kick your butt when you get into the 400 range."

Maybe you are referring to the situation. I'd like to see anyone legit squatting 400+ for reps doing 5x5 3x a week, week in week out. Well maybe Bolton could do it, but he'd be training with less then 50% of his max :).
Well, I'm not going to make any claims about it, but from what I've done, it is possible. It seems like my legs just keep going because I haven't failed a squat in years no matter how much weight was on. Also, I have a larger frame to work with than most people.

The thing is though that after a while, the system should be cycled because a person will eventually reach a peak even with proper rest. I recently did 430 and it takes longer to recuperate between sets than when I started with 315. My legs aren't sore, but I'm getting used to it and that means I won't get the same gain as I've been getting the longer I go. I know soreness isn't an indicator of progress, but from my experience my endurance seems to drop if I don't do anything new for a while.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I assure you I know what I'm doing.

I just don't post in this forum here becuase it's full of crap information.
So do you have a hand injury that prevents you from holding onto anything over 430, or what?

If you can squat 550 lbs to full depth, you should be deadlifting well over 600, assuming we're talking unequipped lifting here.