Strength Routine

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just thought I would post this up to see what people thought of it. Its a variation of WA's routine that he has posted. Been doing it for a couple of weeks and it has been going well. I dont have a bench so cant do any incline exercises that is why there are other variations. Just seeing if the variations look ok.

Monday-Back and arms.
Deadlifts 2 x 5
Chin-ups weighted 3x5 Un-weighted 1x10
Curls 2 x 10

Wednesday-Legs
DB Squats 2 x 5, 1 x 15(lower weight)
Calves 2 x 10
-Perhaps another exercise could go in here. Cant do hypers or leg press unfortunatley.

Friday-Chest/shoulders
Bench Press 2 x 6
Skullcrushers 2 x 10
Weighted Press-ups 2x8

I do ab and hip extensor exercises twice a week, the days I do them on differ though. Try to do the odd fingertip press-ups occasionaly as well. I like my chin-ups and press-ups :) .

Playing 5 a sides on a sunday night which is why I do squats on a wednesday. Have to do dumbell though cause I dont have a squat rack. Do alot of walking and quite alot of running about. Fairly cut, around 11-13% bf im guessing, so fat isnt a problem. Im 16 and looking to build a good strength base leading up to next summer. The big three are all around 120lb right now. Only been squatting for a couple of months and just began dedlifting which is why they are comparable with bench. I expect deadlift will fly up once my lower back adjusts, I feel my upperback is more than capable of 120. My barbell goes to around 200lb so there is still reasonable room for improvment. I weigh 150-155lb at 5 8/9 " so getting the weights up around 200 would be good. Not to bothered if I was to reach 200lb on the exercises in say february as I would just maintain until I could get access to heavier equipment. Just as long as I am perfecting form and doing everything correctly. Then in a year or two I can look into getting some bulk and getting good numbers. Im still growing so I expect ill put on a bit of weight but not to much if Im forced to stall at the 200 mark.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
looks good. if training for pure strength you can cut the reps down too, something like 3 x 3 (or 3, 2, 1 with near-maximal weights) on the bench, deadlift and squat. move the hip exercises to leg day and add in a shoulder exercise (eg db press) to your chest day.

I agree with newbie's advice re the front squats, they're not as good as a full squat but miles better than db squats.

I would do legs on Thursday instead of Wednesday to keep more time between your squats and deadlifts.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am training mainly with strength in mind but aesthetics are important :).
Its good that there isnt anything terribly wrong with this so I can continue and hopefully make good progress. I will add the DB press and look to moving legs to thursday and chest to saturday. Also maybe a squat variation. If DB squat isnt good how would a hack squat be in comparison? It looks more doable than the front squat. Thanks.