Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Strength + Endurance Workout routine - Please criticize

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Goals: Increase strength, endurance, and overall fitness. Aesthetics isn't the main goal and the workout is not designed with building muscle in mind. However, I'm sure that with proper diet the two goals aren't mutually exclusive.

About me: I'm 5'11, 155lbs, 13-14% bodyfat, been working out on and off for a year, so I definitely count myself as a beginner although I played a lot of sports back in high school and I am familiar with the theory behind strength training. The only reason I haven't been working out more consistently is lack of willpower, and now I intend to get over that.

I've been consistently running three times a week (3mi, 5mi, and 6mi) for two months and cleaned up my diet, lost 7lbs and went from 16% bodyfat to about 13.5% bodyfat, with some muscle loss as I wasn't eating enough to compensate. I was skinny fat before, now I'm just skinny.

I know what you're going to say, I should get started on the Rippetoe and eat like warboss alex, but I'm not desperate to pack on muscle and I want gains in endurance too as I'd like to start doing triathlons. So here's what I'm planning on doing:

THE WORKOUTS:
These are loosely based on the "navy seal workout". I added deadlifts in there because I think that with a low enough rep range deadlifts are the most effective exercise to build strength.

Workout A

Superset (3 sets):
-Weighted Push-ups with grip change, 25 reps per set
-Pull-up/Chin-up superset, maximum reps
-Weighted sit-ups, 20 reps per set

Workout B
-Push press with deep squat, 5 reps per set (3 sets)
-Deadlift, 5 reps per set (3 sets)

SCHEDULE

Mondays
-Workout B

Tuesdays
-Workout A

Wednesdays
-5K run
-Workout B

Thursdays
-Workout A

Fridays
-7.5K run
-Workout B

Saturdays
-Workout A

Sundays
-10K run

Explanation of the exercises
---------------------------

Weighted push-up with grip change: Start with hands in diamond shape, thumbs touching (triceps push-up). Perform maximum reps without compromising form. Go to rest position and widen grip to normal grip. Perform maximum reps again without compromising form. Widen grip to wide grip. Perform maximum reps.

Pull-up/Chin-up superset: Perform as many pull-ups as possible without compromising form. Taking no rest time, perform as many chin-ups (palms facing you) as possible.

Push press with deep squat: Start with a deep front squat, and as you come up press the bar (or dumbbells) up overhead until elbows are fully extended (but not locked).

What do you think? Will I achieve my goals with this routine provided that I eat enough quality foods?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What you posted has some merit. I would monitor strength closely and maybe work in something a little more traditional for that if need be.

Check out "never gymless" by Ross Enamait on www.rosstraining.com. "Infinite intensity" is another one. These workouts revolve around athletic conditioning, strength/endurance etc, and sounds like what you would be after. The programs are very cheap.

Good luck,

Quagmire

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
What you posted has some merit. I would monitor strength closely and maybe work in something a little more traditional for that if need be.

Check out "never gymless" by Ross Enamait on www.rosstraining.com. "Infinite intensity" is another one. These workouts revolve around athletic conditioning, strength/endurance etc, and sounds like what you would be after. The programs are very cheap.

Good luck,

Quagmire
Just checked out the link, loved the carry run & press and work capacity 101 workouts, will try to ease these in to the routine. Great stuff!!

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
How do you do weighted push ups? Where do you strap/hang the weight?

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12111

This article was posted here couple of weeks ago. Has some solid advice for strength/endurance training. Check it out, I'm sure it'll help.
I use a weight vest. Easy to use and there's no hanging or strapping involved.

Thanks for the article. I can definitely use that.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where can you get hold of a weighted vest like that?

I'm getting into strength training too. Push up techniques you describe sounds like something I could do even if I miss a gym day. I'm interested in trying that push up routine.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
Where can you get hold of a weighted vest like that?

I'm getting into strength training too. Push up techniques you describe sounds like something I could do even if I miss a gym day. I'm interested in trying that push up routine.
It depends on where you live. I got mine online. If you live in the UK, check out
http://www.nwssportsuk.co.uk/index.php?cPath=256