Street Defense

Nexxus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was just wonderring whther kick boxing or regular boxing is more useful on the street?

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mate I'd have to go with boxing there. It's generally a faster sport, and you can use it even in a crowded situation where you don't have room to kick.

But that's coming from a boxer ;)

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
the site did brought up a point I'm curious about:

what do you do when someone holds you up and is about to slam you back down?

AmazingTricks

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diaoz
the site did brought up a point I'm curious about:

what do you do when someone holds you up and is about to slam you back down?
Thats when you get scooped lmfao.:crackup:

Kuen1

Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.tonyblauer.com/

I've done Wing Chun, Boxing and Submission Wrestling for quite some time, but I'm really loving Tony and his system right now.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by manuva
Mate I'd have to go with boxing there. It's generally a faster sport, and you can use it even in a crowded situation where you don't have room to kick.

But that's coming from a boxer ;)
I would say Thai Boxing is the most "streer" practical standup stlye there is. You have the punches of boxing and although the kicks arent so practical you have the clinch, the knees and the elbows.

Eddie

Don Juan
Reaction score
when talking of any marshal art, what is first emphasised is the fact that you have to try your best to resolve the conflict by talkin it thru. it aint sissy if you talk the misunderstanding out, if the other guy is crazy and wants to stab you/shoot you to death.
for the latter there aint no solution.
havin said tht, lemme tell y'all pals, that the things that are key to your self def. regardless of the school of martial art you practise is "ALERTNESS" "BALANCE" and "AGILITY". being a Tae-Kwon-Do master, i'll assure you that all martial arts really are of use only when you have learned to imbibe the 3 keys i mentioned into your form/art.
if you go by what most people talk/think about when talkin or referring to martial artists is a couple of fancy, smooth kicks to the chin, a knockout punch and BOOM...the opponent is floored!. if that is your motivation then you can safely assure yourself that your never gonna have even a small amount of success in any streetfight using any martial art form.
for success in a street fight, all you really need is "ANY" form of defence/martial art blended with ABA...."ALERTNESS"....."BALANCE"..."AGILITY".
and guess what?....you dont even need a martial art to win a streetfight if u've got ABA in u. and NO, am not trying to preach, but as a active practitioner of martial art forms for more than a decade,i felt obligated to share my advice, the kind that most sensei's who dont have a clue about their art never give to their students

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Imbibe, I love that word.

Anyway, yes situational awareness can stop you GETTING into trouble in the first place.

This is why whilst I love my Wing Chun, I also understand something like Krav Maga will be far more use on the street than your MT/BJJ combo because before I get into trouble I've identified the threat and if I haven't managed to scarper I at least found the nearest object that will cave someones skull in or keep me between an axe weilding attaker.

You will do esculation drills, adrenaline innoculation drills, body and verbal language appreciation (on some civvie syllabuses) all this stuff has nothing to do with the SPORTS of MT and BJJ and martial arts.

jago25_98

Don Juan
Reaction score
The text of the website linked to in the first post talks about adrenaline.

I feel it can be harnessed.

Anyone who knows what it's like to throw a punch and can't remember how they did will attest it.

I've only felt it twice in my life and those 2 times were just when people were taking the piss out of me.

I do hear advice from people to `get one hit in and get out quickly` or `just run away`. Yes, it's practical advise but if you do that you're going away with a feeling as though you've left something back there. This website talks about being a man and so forth. By all means run when you know you're beaten but this relates to something else.

I have been kicked when down and yet I didn't feel ready for it until 5mins after. They won because they had the element of suprise. I now go through my life waiting for a moment when I can redeem myself. Don't let this happen to you.

Jitsu and kickboxing gives you both ranges but you know nothing until you've been in a real fight.

It's fear. But fear not. You think `If they're picking on me then they've got to be experienced in fighting` but often you can gauge if this is true by standing up for yourself - this can throw them. And if it does that's good news because they're all looks. They just went for you because you haven't got a skinhead.

I know this is dangerous talk if we consider knives and what goes round. I'm just thinking back to how I learnt to respond at school. I relised that it's in the mind - it's all face. If you look them in the eye and are prepared to bite your way to death they usually back down.

However, seeing as there's usually 6 of them and 1 of you you're gonna need some training to visualise a win in your mind.

The fight is in the mind first and that's not so far removed from the game.

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I carry an ASP steel baton with me usually. I keep a 26" in the car and I walk with either my 21" or the 16", depending on what kind of pants I'm wearing(for concealability issues).

Eddie

Don Juan
Reaction score
in baghdad, a bomb detector wud be more handy than a baton...the folks there believe in "all or nothing"....hahaha....
just kiddin yo.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The fight is in the mind first and that's not so far removed from the game.
AMEN. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Deus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ooh.. I can actually contribute something useful!!

/leaves lurking mode

Firstly, I agree on the "the best defence is a good offence", but I'd like to make a small ammendment to it.

NEVER throw the first punch..(find out the laws of self-defence for your country, and read 'em)

It's surprising how many little ***** pulls a knife on you, without knowing how to use it.

The basic rule (for me) is not to take any chances. if somebody makes a move to take something from their jacket, I throw a punch.

Now then, moving on to self defence "schools"..

I'd say, try some different ones. Not all are suited for everyone. Some schools emphasize strength, some agility.

I've tried Karate, judo, Tae kwon do, and we were taught some Kraw Maga in the military. Oh, and not to forget, we were also taught how to fight with bayonet, Sledge and Shovel.

A good way to do it in a crowded place, say a club, is to wait untill they throw a punch, block it, then grab their collar with your thumb and lowest three fingers, use the other 2 fingers to "poke" the cavity where the throat meets the body, hard and angled downwards, and push. when you feel they're losing balance (they will) grab with your entire hand, and pull him hard towards you, 'eadbut his nose.
(allways go for the nose, if you go for his head, it'll hurt you just as much). If once doesn't put him out, repeat. Don't let go of him untill he falls or gives up.

Cya
-me

Sh0t

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can only afford the time to train at one place, find a good BJJ/GJJ gym.

If you want to really avoid GETTING hurt and avoiding a lot of legal trouble, it's the best way.

I can assure you of a few things:

All those "deadly techniques" are not nearly as effective as proclaimed. Relying on those as magic bullets is silly, especially if you are trying to avoid going to jail. And unless you practice giving people "the deadly technique" regularly, it won't be much use in a real fight

Claims of dealing with multiple opponants are also bogus. Most of the artists who study all those styles can't even deal with ONE opponant in the ring or on the mat, yet they like to proclaim they can deal with multiple attackers on the street? If there are tons of people after you, just run. NO style will teach you to deal with multiple attackers with any kind of real success outside of things go bang or have very sharp edges.

Work with a friend and just practice dodging and countering the "saturday night haymaker" as I call it. It is the "technique" you will encounter most often in a club or bar fight, along with the "saturday night bullrush tackle". Once you can defend and counter those, you will win 90% of bar/club fights, i gurantee.

If you can afford, time and money wise, to train in multiple arts my priority list would be as follows:
Bjj/gjj
muay thai
Judo(preferably a school that does some no-gi work)

That will give you a very good standup game and make you dangerous in the clinch and on the ground.

A lot of the RBSDs are crap

Wing chun is actually pretty good when taught well.

Forget that "talk it out" stuff. Most sane people would rather talk than fight, that's a given. But a MARTIAL art should be martial primarily. I'm glad I've avoided all those philosophizing dojos and masters.

I also recommend taking a good knife fighting style, but good schools are extremely hard to find.

What makes you a "Tae Kwon Do Master" Eddie?
You are a grandmaster of a style?

For the Tony Blauer fan: I met Pavel and Tony together and did one of the SPEAR courses for the military whent hey came out here a few years ago

Kuen1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good advice Sh0t. So how was the SPEAR course? I'm heading up to Canada for the PDR Certification training in September.

Kuen1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sh0t
I was impaled by it!
Yes, ladies and gentlemen...he'll be here all week. :D