Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Storing Files Online

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have about 60GB of mp3s and movie files which I need to store away online, because of computer problems. These are Gigs of personal photos, movies, and music files which have taken me 3 yeasr go collect and are very, very dear to me.

Does anyone know of any affordable solutions, like some online storage services that offer a good monthly rate? I'd be grateful toward anyone that could help. Thanks!

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bump - I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just search on google, another solution would be to buy an external hardrive to save the stuff on to. They are not terribly expensive £100 or so and once you have it not only will you have a safe back up of your files, once you solve your problem you will have loads more disc space to store stuff which is very portable aswell!

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It will probably be a *****, but you can always burn data disks.

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TyTe`EyEs
It will probably be a *****, but you can always burn data disks.
That's the thing - my USB ports and CD-R /CD-ROM drives are kaput. Busted, Shot. Fvcked. It's aggravating, but my only option is to find an affordable online storage service for all of my 56-60GB of files.

I've already "googled" (I would ask for help without trying on my own first), but there are just so many of them, and also most are quite expensive (100s of dollars per month for about 20GB).

I need more leads. Please.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
You know, for 80 bucks you could just buy another INTERNAL hard drive...dump your files to it, then take the hard drive out and store it someplace safe until you get a new computer...or find someone who's willing to let you dump the files to theirs.

Or you could get a new CD-R drive for like 40 bucks.

60GB of space on-line is a lot of space to get from someone. What exactly is wrong with your PC?

Best bet might be to take your hard drive OUT of your computer (the existing one) and hook it up as a secondary drive to someone else's machine, and let them burn CD-Rs for you.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jakethasnake
That's the thing - my USB ports and CD-R /CD-ROM drives are kaput. Busted, Shot. Fvcked.
USB 2.0 cards are about $15 each. USB 1.0 cards are about half that...

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dude - just by a DVD-RW, they are so Gdamn cheap nowadays, plus each DVD-r can store several gigs, so there's the best solution for you

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by squirrels

Or you could get a new CD-R drive for like 40 bucks.

60GB of space on-line is a lot of space to get from someone. What exactly is wrong with your PC?

Best bet might be to take your hard drive OUT of your computer (the existing one) and hook it up as a secondary drive to someone else's machine, and let them burn CD-Rs for you.

I have family photo albums as well as naked pictures of former FBs and girlfriends, so I don't think I'd be comfortable giving someone access to all my files. :p The rest are all MPEG movies (every film you can imagine) and mp3 files, which are very precious to me.

What's wrong with my computer, exactly? I don't know; one day my CD-RW drive and USB ports decided to all go dead.

And I have a Dell Insipiron 4600C - it does not have a regular PC hardward specs:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_desktop3?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It's basically an older version of the above 4700C model, but it has the same construction - a single space-saving, side-mounted DVD/CD-RW/CD-ROM combination drive. Will I be able to go to any good computer store and find a replacement drive? It's not the same as the regular, upright-mounted CD-ROM/CD-RW drives.

Thanks again for your help.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just get an 80GB external USB hard drive for 80 bucks.:rolleyes:

jive

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have a fast connection, you could get a gmail account and upload stuff to it. (Gmail is email from google that lets you use a gigabyte of space.) PM me if you want an invite.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jive
(Gmail is email from google that lets you use a gigabyte of space.) PM me if you want an invite.
He needs 60GB of storage, not 1. Good try though. :p

No_Sleep

Don Juan
Reaction score
What you need is FTP space. You should be able to find a site that sells it cheap with google.

Panda 2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
And besides, getting that stuff online would take a million years - not worth the effort (for instance I have a 48kB/s upload limit, so uploading 60 gigs would take me 15 days of constant uploading). What you should do is either just take out your current hard drive and install a new one or get a new one and copy your data to it and then take it out.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theres no where you can get 60 gigs worth of files onto a server. Take out the hard drive and transfer them to a new one.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're not under Dell warranty anymore?

tactic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It might be your motherboard?

Get a new one. I just got a new one and without a problem, my files were still there, i just had to get new cd-keys for my game.

Engetsu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Buy another internal drive. Cheap, affordable, fast.