Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Stop smoking

DoubleA

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I quit last June or July o4. And I started up again last November. Anybody have any techniques on not only quit but to say that way?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's all about willpower. If you've got some, you won't smoke. If you don't, you will. Since odds are good you're the person taking the cig from the pack, putting it up to your lips, lighting it, and inhaling, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to stop doing all of the above-mentioned things.

sol2k

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have done it before, you can do it again !

The pleasure in being aware of your self-control beats the hell out of any cigarette.

2 Suggestions:
1. Go cold turkey and make a decision to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.
2. Go to www.whyquit.com and try to understand what's going on.

I am in no way associated to the website, except for the fact that it helped me stay smoke free for the last 45 days... and counting.

BTW, diablo is right. It's a lot of willpower but also a fair bit of understanding what the nicotine addiction and the psycho-social habit of smoking is about.

Save money. Gain life. Stop doing it.
sol2k

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buy the absolute crappiest cigarettes that you can find - whatever is your least favorite. I suggest the cheapest non-filter that the store sells. If you like menthol, get regular and vice-versa. What worked for me was menthol mini-cigars (yuck!).

RBB

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ROFL!! What a coincidence! I've been smoking for 3 years now and decided to quit yesterday. I started DIESEL'S cutting up program about 2 days ago and realise I can't do the HIIT without quitting the ciggies.

I'm substituting the ciggies for green tea and it seems to be working. I've been drinking 6 or more cups a day. But the mere thought of cigs give me cravings, so I'm gonna shut up now.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've given up twice now. I quit after 7 years, had a 3 month lapse (after a break up with GF) and quit again.

The first time I gave up was easy. Like RBB, I had made a firm decision to improve my health and physique so I used that as an incentive. With the money I saved on cigs, I bought suppliments and some equipment and I think it helped my mindset that I wasn't "giving up" something per se, but rather exchanging it for something else.

But rather than focusing on the cravings and pleasures of smoking, I made sure I stayed focused on the tangible and visible benefits of not smoking.

I'd look in the mirror and see my physique improving, I'd feel fitter, stronger, more energetic, cleaner, I'd smell better, had improved sex drive, more money to spend. Ex-smokers will always tell you how their lives improve and how liberating it feels to quit - it sounds farfetched, but it's the truth!

The other great thing is that when you do give up, you have this amazing sense of victory and feel like nothing can hold you back.

Another useful technique is when you get a craving, try to refame your perception. From now on, instead of thinking how good it would be to smoke, think of the worst aspects of it - like waking in the morning with a burning throat, dry mouth, foul taste and clogged up throat and lungs!

Anyway, these are some of the things that helped me quit. Hope they help. And good luck!

evoke

Don Juan
Reaction score
I love smoking. And drinking.

Maybe I'm dying faster, but nothing ever lasts.

stevera004

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by evoke
I love smoking. And drinking.

Maybe I'm dying faster, but nothing ever lasts.
Word.

Try to make sure each cigarette is a good one. No lighting up just for the habit of it. And keep it under 5 cigarettes a day (excepting once in a while blowouts for parties etc.).

Take care,

RBB

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bought a pack of cigs today. FVCK!!!!!!!

As if I caved in! Green tea doesn't work! It's BS!

Arh well.. I'll make every ciggy a good one. But I have to quit if I am going to be serious about cutting up. HIIT is gonna be hell.

I... CAN... DO..... IT!!!!!!!!! :box:

Magico

Don Juan
Reaction score
Like someone said "Quitting smoking is easy...I did it hundred times" :crackup:

Seriously, I used to smoke around 3 cigs a day. I quit a few times too. But this time, I have no desire to smoke at all and that's the best part.

My advice to you is to gradually decrease number of cigs you smoke a day till you reach one. Then start working out + cardio and you'll have another reason to quit.

Plus,

The other great thing is that when you do give up, you have this amazing sense of victory and feel like nothing can hold you back. (Jariel)
Amen.

Edit: it's been a month now that "I'm clean" :)

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to change your lifestyle. Willpower isn't authentic so it's not long lasting. It's like the difference between saying you're a DJ and actually being one. The actions you incorporate into your lifestyle dictates whether or not you are.

What you have is a habit and you may have broken it but the secret about habits is that they can not go away without replacing it with something else. Think about people who have given up smoking but have gained tons of weight. They replaced their smoking with food. The trick is to find something that enhances you to replace that which is detrimental.

I suggest before you attempt quitting again, figure out why you smoke. What benefit do you get from smoking? Does it make you relax? Do you like holding the cigarette? Do you enjoy the taste? Whatever it may be, you will need to find something to replace that feeling to incorporate into your life. Then you must do it consistently. It usually takes people 3-4 weeks to make permanent lifestyle changes.

RBB

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
Does it make you relax? Do you like holding the cigarette? Do you enjoy the taste?
Oh, your sweet sweet words are tempting me... *sigh*

I could always replace the ciggies for women!

Green tea seems to be cutting down my smoking quite considerably though. I will slowly sip it when I get cravings. Although it didn't totally stop me from smoking, I think I can eventually kick it this way. I especially like the part with the boiling of water, playing around with the tea bag and the excess peeing and what not. But it takes my mind off of smoking. The social smoking aspect remains to be solved.

But I'm happy with the results. :)

S-lemond

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea man just tell ur self to stop

tyciol

Don Juan
Reaction score
Start getting angry every time you see a cigarette. Get pissed off at everyone who smokes and know how much better you are than them.

If anyone ever offers you one, tell them no, if they persist, they are not a friend.

RBB

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't mind being a social smoker for the time being. I'm probably down to 5-8 sticks a day now. I will try to cut down by a few sticks by the next few weeks. I'm only smoking when I crave like crazy for it.

I reckon I can quit if I wanted to. This green tea thing has helped me out a little. I feel a sense of victory of some sought. Good stuff! :)

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RBB
I reckon I can quit if I wanted to.
But the reason you don't want to is because you're addicted, therefore you are fooling yourself. :) Trust me, I've been in this loop before and said the same sort of things. It's like one day I'm "this is it, I'm quitting forever, I hate smoking, I will never put a cig near my mouth again" then a day later I'm "I'll just have one, to ease the craving" or "I'm a bit stressed, I'll give up another time". It's basically your mind tricking you.

The problem with smoking is that the cravings are caused by the nicotine leaving your body. So every cigarette will give you a craving for another. If you have just 1 cig per day, you'll spend the whole day craving another. Smoking one or two or social smoking is the worst of both worlds because you're spending periods of time craving another and getting uptight, yet you're not getting the enjoyment of being a fulltime smoker.

The only way to quit is to stop altogether and let the nicotine leave your body completely.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I smoked a pack a day for 3 years. Everyone on those cigerettes sucked, there is no such thing as a good cigarrette.

Sportshelped me quite, seeing the smoking cut away gains I made in my cardio demonstrated to me how harmful they are in a non-abstract way.

RBB

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jariel
The only way to quit is to stop altogether and let the nicotine leave your body completely.
Noooooooooooo!!!! :( I know. I was fooling myself. It's friggin hard huh? You can't take baby steps and quit alone without an aid like nicotine patches of some sought. I was trying to put myself in a positive mindset. "I reckon I could quit blah blah.."

I'm cutting/HIIT and smoking as well which is dumb. Like Phoenix_of_the_ashes said, it will hinder you from your best possible results, and may take you longer to achieve. I need to take a long look at what I'm doing. Chuck away the Zippo, burn the fancy ashtray and take a huge gulp of that horrible spit bucket. :mad:

Afr0deziac22

Don Juan
Reaction score
Stop being a Pu$$y and quit. Its will power. I smoked for 8 years and I quit. I made myself disgusted with the smell and the taste. I started to feel the tingling in my mouth, I hated when I got dressed and ready to go out and I sprayed cologne and then I lit up ruining the way I smell, I hated being out of shape I hated the increased metabolism making me super skinny. I got tired of being weak. I looked at the lil piece of sht cigarette and I said to myself I am stronger then this stink stick. I would buy a pack smoke half of one and throw it out. I stopped going to bars for at least 2 weeks. Stopped being around smokers. I used toothpicks everytime I wanted one. You can buy like 250 toothpicks for like 69 cents haha lol 69 whatever its real cheap. I chewed sugar free gum and cream savers to stop the oral fetish thing. Stop being a pu$$y if you want to stop do it. Its control. Take responsibilities for your actions and good luck to you. It helps to start working out thats what my motivation was, when you're running on that treadmill and you can barely breathe you feel sh!tty. Also when I fk as a non smoker now its no comparison to when I smoked I get harder I last longer and I pound btches out. Good luck. Stop being a pu$$y! Get that in your head!