Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Starting Business...Need Pointers

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would like to start a small landscaping business run by me and my buddy.

What other services can I offer besides:

grass cutting
weed whackin
rubbish removal
mulching
hedge trimming

How much should I charge for these services? I already have all the basic tools and stuff I would need and a truck. What are some creative ways I can advertise besides things like fliers, etc.?

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
-pesticide spraying
-fertilazation (lawn maintanence)
-sprinkler systems....

how much should you charge?
first you have to figure out your brake even point (add up all expences)
and on top of that add an vage (per hour?) that you would like to make.
AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT add the tax. (hopefully you did all your reaserch on that laready)

I just opened a Home Repair buissness my self. I placed a lot of flyers on the board in grosery stores, made up lawn signs.......make a catchy "nutty" slogan that everybody is gona think about for hours eg; "weedman" (already taken)

Your biggest money maker will be companys, NOT RESIDENTIAL. So figure out ways of getting their attention, eather by giving them a freebe, or by being cheep....

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My two cents:

1) Don't offer 200 different services if it's just 2 people. The list you gave doesn't need any more added to it. You can't specialize in everything. Identify what your primary service is. I would imagine it's cutting grass. When you you offer "a bit of everything" it doesn't give you any sort of marketing edge. You need to be first, best, or different to find any sort of competitve advantage. Remember, you're competing against larger companies who do will do more services faster and cheaper.

2) Be value-added. Here's a free idea. Troll the neighborhoods with your truck on a hot weekend day, and when you see someone roasting in the sun while cutting the grass, both of you walk right up to them with a pitcher of ice-cold lemonade and a glass. Pour the person a tall glass of fresh lemoade (with ice and lemon slices in it) and say "Sir, it's hot out. Why don't you go inside and we'll cut your grass for free." I'll be damned if that doesn't get the prospect's attention. When you're all done cutting his grass for free, then go have a friendly chat, and tell the person who you are and what you do. Don't expect anything in return. Many people will use you for the one freebie, but I'd be willing to bet you could sign up a bunch of regular clients this way. I think you get the point. A catchy flyer does nothing to add value in a prospect's eyes. Think outside the box, and don't be afraid to approach people.

3) Charge what you're worth. With just two of you I wouldn't recommend being "the low price guys." Do a damn good job, and charge at least what some of your competitors charge. If you charge more, it gives the perception to the buyer that you do a better job. Of course in order to pull it off you have to do a better job. Be personalized. Know your customers personally. Send them thank-you cards. Maybe at the end of the summer you could host a cook-out and invite them all.

I could go on all day, but don't have the time. If you'd like more suggestions let me know. The most important thing for you right now is to PLAN. Answer all the tough questions. How large do you want to grow this service? What kind of revenue are you looking to generate for yourself with it? Is this just a temporary gig, or are you aiming to rise to the top with this? How does this project fit into your life goals? Etc.

RedPill

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow guys, excellent replies. The tough part of finding a good rate to charge people will be that I have no idea what the current median rate is. does $10 an hour for grass cutting/weed whackin, per person, sound about right? With the other services it will go up to like $15 or $20/hour. As far as taxes go, everything will be under the table, so I won't have to get into taxes and all the assorted hoopla that goes along with that.

Redpill, great points to bring up. I have some friends that aren't working, so if I needed extra help on a job, I know I could call them to come help out for $8 an hour under the table. Thats why I'm not really concerned with having too much work. This is definetly just a summertime project, as both me and my friend leave for school about an hour away from my hometown. I'm not gonna want to come back just to landscape for a little. If this does well however, I would see no reason not to run it every summer until I get a "real" job. Despite being pretty good money for being outside all day, I really want to be an entrepreneur when I get out of college. Running a very small business like this will definetly give me some practice in that respect, but I dont see this as a lifelong enterprise. Maybe if it takes off and solidifies itself as top business, I could sell it when I'm ready to move on, but I highly doubt that.

Your suggestions were top of the line, your always welcome to spout em out at your leisure on here or PM me. Right now my biggest focus is to build a list of clients and go from there. I'll start with putting fliers in mailboxes in my target neighborhoods and the grocery stores in the surrounding areas. I will definetly have to try helpin people out on a warm day and that will work great I'm sure on a one on one basis. Despite the benefits from that and the obvious word of mouth that will occur because of our "generousity", what other methods can I use to get a blanket effect and cover a lot of people? I think both marketing techniques, personal and blanket campaigns, will help bring in the customers.

Thanks again guys.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The tough part of finding a good rate to charge people will be that I have no idea what the current median rate is.
Call up other yard care companies (look in the yellow pages, search online) and research what your competitors are charging and base your decision on that. You don't want to be the cheap guy, but you don't want to charge an arm and a leg.

As far as taxes go, everything will be under the table, so I won't have to get into taxes and all the assorted hoopla that goes along with that.
Maybe do that in the beginning when you're getting word spread, but if the government catches you after doing it long term, they'll want you to pay back what you owe. I myself would like some more info on what is involved in getting this done legally.

edit: just read that you're doing this during summer holidays. Don't worry about the taxes.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should advertize to homeowners associations (HOAs) if you want big clients. Then you'd get an entire neighborhood and not just a few houses. I worked at a HOA management company for a few months and the best way to advertize to them is to bring food and actually have lunch with the association managers. That way the managers are happy because they get free food, and you get to have a long conversation with them and really get a chance to sell yourself. Look up HOA management companies in the phone book and call to set up appointments. Arrive ON TIME (very important), bring good food, bring business cards/notepads/mousepads/other little knicknacks, and bring your charisma. Don't expect every lunch to turn into a client right away, but you'll definately be a strong consideration when they need a new landscaping company if you don't screw up.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear from a lot of people (affluent clients of mine) that they have terrible problems with their landscapers simply showing up!
Gain a reputation for simply showing up.
If you cold-call a potential client and they say, "I have a landscaper" just ask, "well, are they reliable?" - and the conversation goes from there...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been working with AF's lawn service this summer. Notice that every lawn service has a zero turn radius mower, because they take a fraction of the time. They're also 4-5 grand, or 8-10 for a good one. Rural King's mowers suck btw, they don't honor their warranty. If you buy a weed eater, most of them are crap. If you can use it with one hand, it's not for pros. When you make a living with your equipment, you need good stuff. I have a Poulan 'weed eater' that is decent. It does not have the stupid little spool that is always screwing up. You can find some decent equipment at pawn stores, especially simple stuff like hand tools and blowers.

Lawn services in my area bill about one dollar a minute, but keep in mind that is for 2-3 guys who work very quickly. Normal lawns within city limits are about $25.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Put signs up with your phone number in your client's yards while you're working there, and do a really good job so it attracts attention. Most business in landscaping comes from referrals. Also learn how to install irrigation, fountains, patios, lighting and **** like that.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20-30 bucks and you can probably put an add in the paper. I still think most of your buisness will come from companies. The guy that runs an office building doesn't want to worry about buying seeds or ferilizers...or getting his secretary to cutt the grass.....this is where you come in.

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're not building an actual company out of this, but just using it for extra dough and business experience during the summers, keep the advertising to a minimum. If you aren't building a brand, and you aren't seriously reinvesting into the business, you aren't going to generate a high volume of inbound customers. Most of your customers will come from your own efforts - outbound business. Even the referrals you get will have to be cultivated with incentives.

The flyers on mailboxes/doorknobs aren't a bad idea, but beyond that don't expect your phone to blow up because of throwing the 'Stud's Landscaping' name everywhere. As a business owner myself, I can tell you that if I were looking for a landscaping service I wouldn't spend any more than 15 minutes of my time calling the numbers from the online yellow pages checking for pulses and getting quotes. Any service that didn't have a live voice answering the phone would be out immediately.

Here's some ideas for outbound business:
1) cold calling
2) door knocking
3) walking into small businesses and asking for the owner/decision-maker
4) hitting up your natural market (friends and family) for referrals

Do you know any hot chicks that would be willing to help you get some customers? No joke. If you can get a hot piece of ass to do some sales work for you I guarantee you'll get some quick customers. Sex sells, especially considering that most men out there are AFC at their core and bend easily to a highly attractive woman. On the same note, you may have better success with your female prospects. Food for thought.

Keep us updated on this project!

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Again guys, excellent replies. My friend is out of town for about another week, but when he gets back, we're gonna get rollin on it.

As far as equipment goes, I don't think I'll be springing for a 8-10k lawn mower. Though I have seen em in action and make cutting grass a 10 minute affair. If i was looking to start a serious landscaping business and had to feed my family with the profits, I would definetly look into that, but for two college kids looking to make some money and not be trapped inside all day, I don't think thats warranted. Most of our equipment is our dads and borrowing it won't be an issue and we have everything I can possibly assume we would need.

Great marketing advice. I figured I would get some as landscaping is a job a lot of younger guys get in to. Once I get rolling a little more, I wouldn't mind learning how to install irrigation and other advanced landscaping items. Where can I learn how to do this? Preferably for free, but if I hafta pay it's justifiable. I'm very reliable and I would never dream of an automated answering service in any business. Our definite target at this point is going to be small to mid-size businesses and middle-upper class homes. Most larger businesses have contracts with large firms and we can't compete with the services they offer. Throwing a couple bucks at a hott girl to make some sales isn't a bad idea at all. As far as all other forms of advertising go, how much money do you think it will take to get a client base formed? Obviously there is no magic number set in stone, but I'm looking for a ballpark figure that I should be looking to spend to get on my feet.

Redpill, it sounds like you have a lot of business experience, what type of business do you own?

Thanks again guys!

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you incorporate...

It helps reduce your personal legal and financial liabilities.

But... be ready to have the government send you a lot
more forms and paperwork - always file stuff, even
"no sales tax due" sales tax returns ON TIME.

You chances of an audit also increase, too.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

When you're observing a business or idea, give some thought to: Would you buy this service or product? If not, what might you do to attract yourself to this service or product?

There's a host of questions you might ask on a microeconomic level...but that macro level controls the micro, and worrying legal, accounting, or marketing has little relevance if your business has little relevance. Having a business concept/marketing machine that is attractive to you will empower you and provide real confidence. Not hype, no need for affirmations, just plain substance.

You might not be your target market, but you're smart enough to emphathize the position of your prospective clientele.

A-Unit