Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

started starting strength (my overhead press is horrible!)

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol, using steroids doesn't automatically make you super strong. You still have to put the work in. There are tons of dumb frat boys at my college who are on steroids and have huge biceps but can't deadlift their bodyweight.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
J. Darko said:
So why don't you eat 10.000 calories like Dave Tate? He knows what he's doing. Oh what's that? You get fat from such a diet you say? You are just a KBJ that can't even eat his bodyweight in calories, citing guys like me that don't put up with bull**** advice. When you eat more than Dave, I will listen to your advice, maybe.
lol, you know nothing about steroids. They arent magic bullets that absolve you of hard work. More proof you dont know what you're talking about. Oh, and have you seen Dave Tate lately? Like in the past year?

http://asp.elitefts.com/images/upload/qa/dave-bathroom.jpg

J. Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
lol, you know nothing about steroids. They arent magic bullets that absolve you of hard work. More proof you dont know what you're talking about. Oh, and have you seen Dave Tate lately? Like in the past year?

http://asp.elitefts.com/images/upload/qa/dave-bathroom.jpg
You haven't presented any arguments against my statement that you shouldn't necessarily copy what the pro's do because they are different people on a different level. All you can come up with is:

''You don't know what you are talking about''

Like some old audio tape on repeat. That just makes you a childish little whiny b*tch. So I'm going to ignore you from now on. You're not worthy of my attention. Goodbye.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's about right for a novice lifter, considering your other lifts.

Most likely your technique is poor. The majority of novice lifters aren't used to which way is up yet. By that I mean their bar path is anything but directly upwards. Usually it's too far in front, like a retarded tricep extension.

Keep practicing.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
J. Darko said:
You haven't presented any arguments against my statement that you shouldn't necessarily copy what the pro's do because they are different people on a different level. All you can come up with is:

Like some old audio tape on repeat. That just makes you a childish little whiny b*tch. So I'm going to ignore you from now on. You're not worthy of my attention. Goodbye.

Guy is nothing but bitter is all. Blaming others who clearly work harder or have better genetics than him for his lack of results.

Now that sir makes you the whiny little *****.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey J. Darko, I understand where your coming from and I get why your saying what your saying.

Your absolutely right. you are looking at the overhead press from a technically sound (by the books) standpoint. As you gain more experience you'll realize once your back gets stronger a slight lean back with braced abs helps to move the weight upwards alot easier since the pec becomes recruited and the leverage is more in your favor for pressing.

Also..pressing the bar in front of the shoulder helps build up the front delts and upper pecs for a sturdier, stronger bench press carry over.

I dont see anything wrong with what you said. You dont understand about advanced heavy lifting yet but you do understand the concepts of safe lifting...your advice is correct (especially for someone just starting out).

At some point in time when you get stronger and the weight gets heavier you will find that your technique will become altered and you will have to recruit other muscle groups to assist with lifting heavy.

J. Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
Hey J. Darko, I understand where your coming from and I get why your saying what your saying.

Your absolutely right. you are looking at the overhead press from a technically sound (by the books) standpoint. As you gain more experience you'll realize once your back gets stronger a slight lean back with braced abs helps to move the weight upwards alot easier since the pec becomes recruited and the leverage is more in your favor for pressing.

Also..pressing the bar in front of the shoulder helps build up the front delts and upper pecs for a sturdier, stronger bench press carry over.

I dont see anything wrong with what you said. You dont understand about advanced heavy lifting yet but you do understand the concepts of safe lifting...your advice is correct (especially for someone just starting out).

At some point in time when you get stronger and the weight gets heavier you will find that your technique will become altered and you will have to recruit other muscle groups to assist with lifting heavy.
Well, if you put it that way so nicely...

returningchamp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well..... It's been over a year since i made this post.

I've been pretty consistent with my lifting over the last year. Have a home rack, bench, and olympic weights going up to 600 lbs.

Still weigh 170 lbs lol (i've gained tons of strength and LOOk bigger, but since i eat mostly clean now - i've gained nothing)...

But from my workout #s from last week...

Flat Bench - 225 X 2
Squat - 280 X 2
Deadlift - 340 X 1

and....

Overhead press - 165 X 2

It's incredible that my overhead press has doubled +15 since i made this post. I am almost to my body weight, which made me remember this thread.

Just an update.

tyciol

Don Juan
Reaction score
The overhead press being dramatically lower than the horizantal press is probably pretty normal I'm guessing.