Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squats: taking care of the back

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m ramping up using StrongLifts, and will lift 80 kg tonight. I’m concerned about the safety of my back/spine, I only got one opportunity.

In order to protect my back I do this:
  • I’ve tried dropping the bar (on the guards in a power rack) such that I know how that is done.
  • The times I’ve had poor technique but could have forced it anyway, I’ve stayed on the same weights one session more instead of adding more weights, to ensure proper technique.
How does one guarantee no horrible accident with the back with squats?

Last edited:

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can't lift the bar from the bottom of your squat, you simply need to "throw" the bar back and lean forward in one quick motion. If you already know how to do that, there's really no issue. I've done it many, many times.

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding failing squats, I see two ways:
  1. Two crouch/squat under the bar. I've seen a video of one guy using this technique.
  2. To throw the bar backwards, behind oneself. This requires a lot of control/consciousness, a “steered” fail. This seems to be what you describe.
What is best? Option 1 is a no no? What can be said?

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I squat too low to be able to squat any further under the bar. That would only work for people who squat to parallel or above and have the safety bars fairly high up.