Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squats and Deadlifts

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many times I've seen guys go in the gym and just doing curls. Stop it! Compound movements are crucial! You need to be doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, pullups, etc. Curls and such are fine bonuses to a workout, but the strength of your core is key. My oldest brother is nearly 19 years older than me. He has been a consistent weightlifter since his teens. He knows from experience what has worked and what hasn't. I have returned to working out as I did workout with him for almost a year before not working out for almost a year. Now I have returned with him and after a month I already feel results.

One thing he has drilled into me is the importance of compound exercises. His absolute favorite is squats. He said if he can only do one exercise, he'll do that. He has stopped doing bench press because he feels too many older guys hurt their rotator cup doing it. He has replaced it with dips and pushups. Ultimately, there are many programs that work. The key though is consistency, compound movements, food, rest days, and avoiding injury. Another thing he always is don't be afraid to deload 10% if your weights are not going up.

If you are just starting or returning, do not let your ego decide the weight. Start light. No one in the gym cares. Squat with an empty bar at first if that is where you need to start. No shame.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Solid advice and post.

Regarding shoulder issues with Bench, the issue is too many pushes vs pulls. Every Bench Press rep should be balanced with the same number of Pendlay barbell Rows. Pull-ups / Deadlifts should together double up the Overhead Press.

Most people don’t train with balance in mind. I too had shoulder issues until I doubled up on pulling exercises. The shoulder issues went away shortly.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing that actually messed up my rotator cuff was DIPS I totally avoid doing them now.

Anytime I go back to dips, my shoulder flares up again.. bench press doesn't seem to bother it much.

I don't do squats or deadlifts, due to lower back problem, which I have under control.

I find SAFER to use the leg press machines.. Are the leg press machines just as effective for core strength??

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ultimately, I think you have to find what works best for you and doesn't aggravate old injuries. I always do pushups after dips. Seems to feel a lot better than dips by themselves. But since dips hurts you I would definitely stick to what doesn't tweak you. I could never seem to get barbell rows right.
The thing that actually messed up my rotator cuff was DIPS I totally avoid doing them now.

Anytime I go back to dips, my shoulder flares up again.. bench press doesn't seem to bother it much.

I don't do squats or deadlifts, due to lower back problem, which I have under control.

I find SAFER to use the leg press machines.. Are the leg press machines just as effective for core strength??

CBear

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course some sort of squatting movement is needed but 1. barbell squatting can easily get to peoples' heads and become an ego lift because people get obsessed with doing maximum weight. This leads to sh1t-less than adequate form which leads to less potential for gains and 2. It is not hard to fvck your back or your knees up doing squats. Then working out will be pointless cause you'll be sitting at home for months or even years. I have seen it countless times and it's not worth it. Through my 5+ years, I maintained okay-perfect form for the most part and have never gotten injured.
Having said that...
Bulgarian split squats and step ups are perfect alternatives and I recommend them. Athlean X highly recommends Bulgarian split squats as well!
also, replace bench press with dumbbell press. This should be pretty obvious. My biggest flaw when I started working out was doing the bench press. When I finally recorded myself after a while I saw that I wasn't holding the bar equally lol. It wasn't crazy but it was significant. There were obvious negative effects from this. Dumbbell presses fixed all of that because they are better all around.
Deadlifts/rackpulls are great though.

Lastly, those curls can be done on separate days. Nothing wrong with that. Just can't be the only workout like op said he's seen others do lol. I tend to do Mon-Chest, Tue-Back/Bi's, Wed-Shoulder's/Tri's, Thu-Legs. Used to do full body workouts when I started out but having specific days for certain muscles definitely gets more done.

And yes, like op mentioned, the #1 advice I'd give to someone about getting in shape is to BE CONSISTENT for crying out loud. I'd even put that before eating well. Just don't rest too long in between sets :D