Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squat Technique and Physique vs Strength Debate Thread

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Way too many threads here are being hijacked by squat form debates. I also see a lot of debates between people training for strength vs people training specifically for physique goals arguing endlessly.

Anytime I train someone I first talk with them to figure out what there exact goal is... the majority want to be anywhere from 165-225 in the 10% bf range.Some have sport specific goals, some have personal strength goals, while others have competitive strength goals. And a good portion are really fat and just want to have a normal sized fit looking body. Once we come up with a solid definable goal we figure out the most practical way for THAT particular person to reach it, food choices, cardio, exercises selection and techniques used for there personal goal also taking into account any past injuries and that persons risk tolerance for particular exercises and rep ranges. A lot of time is spent creating a very detailed diet (something never debated here despite it essentially being the make it or break it part of the equation)...and I give an estimated time-line of how long it'll take to reach in addition to what sacrifices will need to be made in lifestyle and how much money will need to be spent on food and supps overall. This gives the person a big picture view of the whole process.

So with that said, these squat technique debates and powerlifter vs bodybuilder vs Olympic lifter debates are so foolish to me and missing the big picture by miles. Everyone has different goals, different bodies, different lifestyles, different motivations etc. These debates seem really popular though so lets just make this the official thread for them and stop polluting every other thread with them.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this article is a very interesting read as it's one of the only studies of its kind really done. Electrodes attached to the muscles used and recording tension/performance of muscles. Of course if done on a larger scale it would be a lot better, but none the less it's intriguing.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article_issue/issue_623#inside-the-muscles

Top number is mean or time of tension placed on muscle, bottom number is peak contraction of muscle/performance.

So one can take from this what exercises could be best for their goals whether increased performance in a sport or building the biggest legs. Yet I'm all for mixing it up. High bar olympic squats, front squats. Machine squats. etc etc :) Cause big ass legs are my goal.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
great idea for a thread EFFORT, and carlito that study is really interesting, I read one of the earlier ones.

Confirms alot of whats already accepted, deep squatting has higher peak activation, but the other kinds are good still.

My gym instructor says theres no point going below parrallel, I think there is because going below parralel is more difficult..

In reality I have ankle flexibility issues, so I go as low as I can while maintaining balance, which for me is parrallel, perhaps a touch past it.

Cure.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Way too many threads here are being hijacked by squat form debates. I also see a lot of debates between people training for strength vs people training specifically for physique goals arguing endlessly.

Anytime I train someone I first talk with them to figure out what there exact goal is... the majority want to be anywhere from 165-225 in the 10% bf range.Some have sport specific goals, some have personal strength goals, while others have competitive strength goals. And a good portion are really fat and just want to have a normal sized fit looking body. Once we come up with a solid definable goal we figure out the most practical way for THAT particular person to reach it, food choices, cardio, exercises selection and techniques used for there personal goal also taking into account any past injuries and that persons risk tolerance for particular exercises and rep ranges. A lot of time is spent creating a very detailed diet (something never debated here despite it essentially being the make it or break it part of the equation)...and I give an estimated time-line of how long it'll take to reach in addition to what sacrifices will need to be made in lifestyle and how much money will need to be spent on food and supps overall. This gives the person a big picture view of the whole process.

So with that said, these squat technique debates and powerlifter vs bodybuilder vs Olympic lifter debates are so foolish to me and missing the big picture by miles. Everyone has different goals, different bodies, different lifestyles, different motivations etc. These debates seem really popular though so lets just make this the official thread for them and stop polluting every other thread with them.

Thank you. thank you; my point exactly. I train because I want strength and an aesthetically pleasing body while remaining in the 150s class. I don't see why so many people think that if a person trains they must bulk up. A couple of years ago you and I talked via PM and I pointed out that I have large shoulders. More specifically I have a dense bone structure and this helps me. Also, as a teen I was asked several times why I didn't go out for football, I never did because it didn't interest me. My family enrolled me in gymnastics but at the time I didn't see the point of that sport. In hindsight I wish that I had stayed with that one since I've come to realize it is a very intense sport.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
Thank you. thank you; my point exactly. I train because I want strength and an aesthetically pleasing body while remaining in the 150s class. I don't see why so many people think that if a person trains they must bulk up. A couple of years ago you and I talked via PM and I pointed out that I have large shoulders. More specifically I have a dense bone structure and this helps me. Also, as a teen I was asked several times why I didn't go out for football, I never did because it didn't interest me. My family enrolled me in gymnastics but at the time I didn't see the point of that sport. In hindsight I wish that I had stayed with that one since I've come to realize it is a very intense sport.
Your welcome....reaching your personal goals are all that matter. Most people here are really passionate about there personal goals and this passion drives them to impose those goals on someone else. I use to impose my goals on others , but then I stepped back and saw the big picture of everyone wanting different things so I stopped and channeled that energy towards helping them reach there own goals.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Your welcome....reaching your personal goals are all that matter. Most people here are really passionate about there personal goals and this passion drives them to impose those goals on someone else. I use to impose my goals on others , but then I stepped back and saw the big picture of everyone wanting different things so I stopped and channeled that energy towards helping them reach there own goals.
Which is something I have never done.