Sprint training to 'cut up' without losing mass.

Un-Aru

Don Juan
Reaction score
Replied to a thread but decided I'd also just make a new one with the same information.

Just been browsing this forum and it seems everyone wants to both 'bulk-up' and 'cut-up' at the same time. Well, from experience, here's something that works, if you have the time and the b*lls:

Find a 100 metre track/field, preferably with a nice big hill.
Sprint (and I mean sprint not run fast) 100 metres.
Jog 200 metres.
Repeat 5 times.

Walk slowly back to start again.
Jog 50 metres.
Walk 50 metres
Repeat 4 times.

Walk slowly back to start again.
Walk 100 metres.
Repeat 3 times.

You'll probably be close to throwing up at this stage. Take a 5 minute break. Find the nice hill. Sprint to the top, jog back down. Repeat 3 times. Take a 200 metre jog. Repeat the hill sprints.

Take a 5 minute break. Then finish off with some nice hard 50 metre sprints, maybe 3 just to really get the juice flowing. You'll find that this is almost easy.

Now this is NOT for beginners. You have to be in ok shape already or you will likely kill yourself. You need to have a base of sorts to work from. If you think you're hard do 5 sets for everything, that's the eventual goal. If you warm up first with a few sprint drills (search the web) every time you'll get faster and the drills will seem a bit easier.

The benefits:
Extreme cardio-vascular stress means you get fitter.
Putting the muscles under maximum exertion (ie sprinting) boosts testosterone levels - we should all know the benefits of this.
Adding a weight training regime as well means the muscles fully utilise the body's increased testosterone production. You will get stronger. Try learning some of the true power movements (eg cleans, push-press, etc and incorporate them)
Putting the body under such stress will mean you will be burning calories for hours afterwards.

My tip, don't be so concerned about the look. If you're getting fitter, faster and stronger and your diet is good - the results will take care of themselves.

Hoppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I recomend doing this type of cardio on your off days because it makes you tired as hell. I do something similar once a week and it really improved my ability to run.

If your going to go for the distances Un-Aru is talking about i would recomend only running at 80% of your maximum speed.

Another method is to run at 100% of your max speed for 20seconds, then walk for 10seconds. Repeat for 15 mins.

I can only do it for 10 myself. :(

If you've never done this type of exercise don't start off running as hard as you can. work up to it.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hoppy
I recomend doing this type of cardio on your off days because it makes you tired as hell. I do something similar once a week and it really improved my ability to run.

If your going to go for the distances Un-Aru is talking about i would recomend only running at 80% of your maximum speed.

Another method is to run at 100% of your max speed for 20seconds, then walk for 10seconds. Repeat for 15 mins.

I can only do it for 10 myself. :(

If you've never done this type of exercise don't start off running as hard as you can. work up to it.
Exactly, I remember when I was boxing all the time, running several kilometres a day sometimes. I then started into sprint training for the first time, I remember looking at the distances thinking this will be PIZZ EASY! Just over half way through the sprint program I was bent over heaving! I could not handle it and I was DAMN fit! Start off doing hardly anything, and work upto it! Not to mention, after sprint training, for a long time, your legs are going to be sore as fukc!

Good luck man! Hope you stick to it! I know I definately did not! Sprint training takes the gas out of you as quick as being in the boxing ring, and mentally, doing one or the other every day, wore me out!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Un-Aru

The benefits:
Extreme cardio-vascular stress means you get fitter.
Putting the muscles under maximum exertion (ie sprinting) boosts testosterone levels - we should all know the benefits of this.
Adding a weight training regime as well means the muscles fully utilise the body's increased testosterone production. You will get stronger. Try learning some of the true power movements (eg cleans, push-press, etc and incorporate them)
Putting the body under such stress will mean you will be burning calories for hours afterwards.

My tip, don't be so concerned about the look. If you're getting fitter, faster and stronger and your diet is good - the results will take care of themselves.
This is good also! Especially the last bit! Once you get as fit, fast and strong in the gym as you can, plus take care of your diet! The results will come very very fast! Especially if you have once been fit and strong previously! As most of the older (guys in their mid 20s +) guys have!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Sprint training to 'cut up' without losing mass.

Originally posted by CLOONEY
This is good also! Especially the last bit! Once you get as fit, fast and strong in the gym as you can, plus take care of your diet! The results will come very very fast! Especially if you have once been fit and strong previously! As most of the older (guys in their mid 20s +) guys have!
Mid 20's is old? Sheesh!

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Sprint training to 'cut up' without losing mass.

Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Mid 20's is old? Sheesh!
Just ignore us and return to your bingo, Gramps :D

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sprint training to 'cut up' without losing mass.

Originally posted by manuva
Just ignore us and return to your bingo, Gramps :D
Just taking a break and downloading some Roy Orbison, thank you very much, young fellamelad, sheesh there's no respect for your elders these days, I fought in two World Cups for the like of you!

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 World Cups LMAO!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Sprint training to 'cut up' without losing mass.

Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Mid 20's is old? Sheesh!
]

Not old. Read the post, I said, older. As in, most of the older guys in this forum, or on sosuave fullstop are mid twenties +. I didnt say mid 20s is old. The vast majority of guys on sosuave are <20.