Splittin' the workout in several sessions

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm sorry for the title but I didn't know how to name this thread in a better way.

Anyway, I'm usually either too much busy or too much tired during my days to have a hour long workout, so I usually split it up in several sessions. For example, I would do Squats in the morning before leaving for school, rows when I come back, deads a couple of hours after lunch, curls at 6 pm, millies before dinner and pullovers before going to bed. Of course, this is not my workout (I'd never do deads and squats on the same day and I never exercise when I wake up, of course), it's just an example. So what? Can this be good or should I try with all my efforts to put it all together in one big session? What's the problem with the splitting?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
organizedconfusion said:
don't expect alot of gains other in muscularity.It would be far better to have two 30 minute workouts then a bunch of 15 minute ones throughout the day.
what you mean with the first sentence? that i'll only gain size? that i'll only gain strength? that i won't gain nothing? or what else?

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
what you mean with the first sentence? that i'll only gain size? that i'll only gain strength? that i won't gain nothing? or what else?
whoops, i meant don't expect to gain anything more then muscularity.
You can gain alot of muscularity -especially in those individual parts you are training and in terms of muscles showing ,but not alot of mass.For mass it's better if you split up your training to not only take advantage of the recovery periods between workouts but also having the post workout meal as well.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If he trains correctly in his mini-workouts, and he eats, of course he'll gain mass. What else would the extra calories do, evaporate? :D :)

OK, so this may or may not be optimal...but don't worry about it. If doing that allows you to train your hardest and best, that's what you have to do. Remember to drink PWO shakes after each workout btw :)

-shaun

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's dosen't always work that way.The body will use the calories but sparadic workouts make as much sense as a sparadic diet intake and expecting decent gains.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, but let's say he's doing his back, and he deadlifts in the morning, what does it really matter that he does his rows and curls later on in the day?

-shaun

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shaunuk said:
Yeah, but let's say he's doing his back, and he deadlifts in the morning, what does it really matter that he does his rows and curls later on in the day?

-shaun
Doesn't matter one bit. It seems like a waste of time though. You would have to re-warm up again to make sure that you do your best.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Call_Me_Daddy said:
Doesn't matter one bit. It seems like a waste of time though. You would have to re-warm up again to make sure that you do your best.
Exactly, that's what I'm saying mate. Yeah, I generally prefer to get it over with in one whack, but if he's pushed for time and other such things then he ain't got a choice.

-shaun

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand why a person can't set aside 30-45mins a day to do this. It sounds like one big pain in the a**.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
organizedconfusion said:
it's dosen't always work that way.The body will use the calories but sparadic workouts make as much sense as a sparadic diet intake and expecting decent gains.
Actually your example is incorrect. I don't know whether sporadic has the same meaning in english and italian or not, but in my language it means something done not on a regular basis. For example, if I workout 2 days in a row, then I don't workout for 5 days, then I workout, then I don't, then I train again, then I take some days off... well, these are sporadic workouts.

If I do several workouts a day, always following a regular schedule, that's not sporadic training (at least in Italian), that's splitting training.

Your example would make sense if you said "you won't grow if you eat lots of smaller meals rather than only a huge meal a day" (which by the way is false:))

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
Actually your example is incorrect. I don't know whether sporadic has the same meaning in english and italian or not, but in my language it means something done not on a regular basis. For example, if I workout 2 days in a row, then I don't workout for 5 days, then I workout, then I don't, then I train again, then I take some days off... well, these are sporadic workouts.

If I do several workouts a day, always following a regular schedule, that's not sporadic training (at least in Italian), that's splitting training.

Your example would make sense if you said "you won't grow if you eat lots of smaller meals rather than only a huge meal a day" (which by the way is false:))

It's sparadic because it's still irregular in timing and split training is not that.Split training is either a am/pm split or 6 day/1 bodypart a day split is what it's refering to,in terms of bodybuilding terms.

you're wasting your time and energy with those little workouts,If i were you i'd find a way to work out before even beggining your school/workday.I'd go so far as to waking up 2 hours ahead of time just to workout and eat,i went even further and baught a set of olympic weights and a bar so i can wake up and workout on my workout days. Get it done,get it done right and get on with the day! :rockon:
Drink extra strong coffee if you have to if you need to wake up!

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
when cutting I reckon it's okay - do the same workout twice, 12-20 reps per set

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
splitting it into 2 sessions seems reasonable. otherwise you'll probably have trouble keeping up with your pre and post workout nutrition.

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
howardalex said:
when cutting I reckon it's okay - do the same workout twice, 12-20 reps per set
Reject this advice, because this guy just pulled it out of his ass.
Cutting you change your diet, not your workout. :trouble: