Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

SoSuave's Sh!tty Workout Log

SoSuave666

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So man, I've really been lacking in my workouts the past year due to a stressful new work environment and plenty of other time consuming endeavors...but much like bradd80 it's time that I too begin to restructure my day to find time to a.) Intensely workout and b.) eat a more suitable diet.

First a little background:

I was a pretty good athlete in HS. My senior year though I stopped playing bball, lacrosse, and running track because I wanted to focus on my passion of football. Here were my measurables back then:

Height: 6'0
Weight: 185 (lbs)
Body Fat: Not sure, probably around 14-16%
Diet: Pretty good diet. High in Carbs though, and would splurge maybe once every two weeks on something sweet or otherwise poor.
40 time: 4.64
5-10-5 (short shuttle): 4.3ish
Bench: 240 (max)
Squat: 350 (max)
Power Clean: none but probably could have done 230.
Pull Ups: 16 (max)

Nothing too spectacular, but I had broad shoulders and a good pedigree (my dad was an athlete in college) so I was recruited to play in college. Initially I was recruited as a QB, but that didn't work out so I moved around on defense playing some safety and some linebacker. I redshirted my first year so I got an extra semester of literally just bulking up and training. Eventually I found a home at safety as a Sophomore (RS) and started my final three seasons. Had a GREAT strength coach in college and we all had a nutritionist who would help us plan our meals. My measurables in college:

Height: 6'1
Weight: 205
Body Fat: 6.7% at lowest (used the bod pod)
Diet: Very structured and lean. After I got up to playing weight it was extremely precise.
40 time: 4.52
5-10-5: 4.17
Bench: 330
Squat: 445
Power Clean (Became my favorite lift): 325
Pull Ups: Not sure, we didn't test this in college. I'd guess 20-25 somewhere in that range.

So I am about 4 years removed from college and really stopped lifting all that much. My diet has always been pretty good, but I can sense it getting worse. I have stopped going to the gym (6 months ago) but do have a set of free weights that goes up to 75 lbs and an outdoor gym where I can do pushups, pull ups, dips, etc. My measurables when I stopped going to the gym (last time I trained) were this (I'll skip football related stuff):

Weight: fluctuating between 175-180
Body Fat: no clue, probably back at like 10-14%.
Diet: Not my best. I've really stopped monitoring this and sometimes go a whole day eating only one meal.
Bench: 270
Squat: 375
Hang Clean (Stopped doing power): 225x3
Pull Ups: 18

My goals are to get back into a healthy diet routine and redefine/tone my body. I need to have about 4 meals a day to adequately curb my hunger (I know a lot of people do 6 meals a day but I have found 4 meals to be just fine for me). I don't want to bulk up but will be mainly avoiding carbs and taking in as much protein as I can. I will be working solely with dumbells and the outdoor gym as it's all I have time for these days. Any bodyweight/dumbell workouts you can provide will be MUCH appreciated. I know there's a lot that I can do to mix it up, but I will need your help to keep my routines fresh. I love running so I will be supplementing my weight workouts with about 15-20 miles worth of jogging per 7 day week. I hope to workout 4-5 times per 7 day week.

So that's about it. I want to say thanks in advance for any help and keeping up with this log. I'll be updating it hopefully 3-4 times a week.

Lets get it.

SoSuave666

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saturday--

Lift:

5 x 50 incline pushups
5 x 12 chin ups

5 x burnout dips
5 x burnout inverted row

5 x 10 one arm hang clean (55 lbs)
5 x 20 shrugs (75 lbs)

Plyos:

3 x 15 jumping lunge
3 x 10 box jumps (24 inches) -- did one jump at 48 inches to make sure I could still get it.

3 x 10 broad jumps
3 x 15 squat jumps

20 explosive starts (10 yards)
20 downhill sprints (40 yards)

ran 2 miles after.

---------------

Feels pretty good to get back into doing athletic movements. I don't really have a plan, which sucks...I'm just doing stuff I used to do for football in an ad-lib kinda way. My legs suprisingly are pretty sore still. Did not expect that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, those are still some great starting numbers...

My question is why would you let yourself regress that much when you were in such elite shape in college??

At this point I think you should really start and hammer out a diet plan that you can stick to. Working out has limited benefits until you get your diet in check.

If you want a good ass-kicking movement for your legs w/ just dumbells, try doing pistols.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvIu7s-vIM

I find a 5 x 5 work out w/ 40 lb dumbells really kicks my ass!

SoSuave666

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Hey, those are still some great starting numbers...

My question is why would you let yourself regress that much when you were in such elite shape in college??

At this point I think you should really start and hammer out a diet plan that you can stick to. Working out has limited benefits until you get your diet in check.

If you want a good ass-kicking movement for your legs w/ just dumbells, try doing pistols.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvIu7s-vIM

I find a 5 x 5 work out w/ 40 lb dumbells really kicks my ass!

Thanks man, I'll do the pistols and let you know how that goes.

Yea, gotta get my diet together. I know it's the key to a good physique.

As far as letting myself go...I don't know. In college everything was planned for me; I didn't need to think much about structure or anything like that because I literally had it in writing. There was also a purpose for my workouts and diet: football. Now it's just to remain aesthetically pleasing. I guess I didn't see the benefit anymore..

I'm determined to get myself back into shape though. I play a lot of basketball to keep my competitive edge, but actually started to miss the lifting. Still don't care much for the gym though so I think I'll stick with my outdoor deal.

Thanks for the input and new squat option man.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No problem... Will help in any way I can.

What is your job and what's your scheduling like... This is crucial if you're going to be able to plan a good meal schedule. Figure out a list of stuff you like to eat and then get your macros down, then figure out meals that are easy to prep, easy to consume and taste good.

I understand about the goal-directed work associated w/ fitness... I've always had something to train for...something that made me accountable, however, for the last couple of years, I've had nothing... I suppose my only saving grace is that lifting is something I absolutely love. In your case, maybe have a long term goal in mind? Like competing in a physique contest, etc?

Goals help, as you saw in college.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
No problem... Will help in any way I can.

What is your job and what's your scheduling like... This is crucial if you're going to be able to plan a good meal schedule. Figure out a list of stuff you like to eat and then get your macros down, then figure out meals that are easy to prep, easy to consume and taste good.
I understand about the goal-directed work associated w/ fitness... I've always had something to train for...something that made me accountable, however, for the last couple of years, I've had nothing... I suppose my only saving grace is that lifting is something I absolutely love. In your case, maybe have a long term goal in mind? Like competing in a physique contest, etc?

Goals help, as you saw in college.
Exactly the way I feel.

SoSuave666

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My intention on this log was always to update as frequently as possible. I realized though that I was just not in a place where I was happy with my body. In order to see a drastic change I needed time to only workout, get gainz, and would revisit over time.

So here I am, about 6 months after I started this thread. Just running and outdoor workouts wasn't doing it for me. I was losing weight but not gaining muscle. Matter of fact, I probably lost muscle. I switched my diet to paleo and ate under 2500 cals a day. During exercise I probably would burn 600-800. I just wasn't getting enough cals.

I decided to join a gym in October. I revamped my workouts and upped my calorie intake to about 3000...still paleo...4 meals a day. No supps for me, never enjoyed them. Then, at the beginning of November, I broke my ankle. Fvcking PISSED.

I only lifted weights for about 4 weeks. I would work out for a couple hours but still be extremely energetic when I would try to go to sleep. Cardio was something that physically wore me out and it was good for my sleeping pattern. I needed to do cardio, so I ditched the boot on my ankle and began biking in the gym. Currently, I'm working on ankle stabalization and strength, while riding a bike and maintaining my workouts. Here are my numbers:

Weight: 190
Body Fat: When I estimated 10-14% 6 months ago that was probably wrong. That's probably where I am now.
Diet: Paleo, 4 meals a day, 3000 calories. Lots of broccoli, chicken, carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, and eggs.
Bench: 305
Squat: Haven't dont squat since my injury, but it was at 405
Clean: Haven't done it since injury, but was at 280
Pull Ups: Haven't maxed out pull ups in forever. I do weighted sets at 10 reps.

So that's what I've got right now. I do a pretty standard workout and am worrying about plateauing off pretty soon. I can already feel my chest kinda maxed out. Any tips/ideas on breaking out of plateaus?