Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Sony PSP anyone?

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just picked up this thing. Man its BADASS.

I watched spiderman 2, its exactly like TV. The graphics are sick. I think its worth the 250, and it owns Nintendo DS. If you have wireless DSL (I do), you can play any game against anyone across the world, its awesome. Oh, and you can hold mp3s on it also.

Anyone else have it?

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shouldn't you grow out of this stuff by your age?

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man im only 15.

-Nah you get 6 hours of use. Im not sure how long you have to charge it.

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool. I'm considering getting one, but then I'd just stick with the GBA SP. Anyhow, now that I think about it, poor kids are starving in other countries. People live in shacks. Why should I spend $250 dollars on a PSP? People make that much money a YEAR in some places by stackign bricks all their lives, night and day.

I will pass, but it looks cool.

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Levex
shouldn't you grow out of this stuff by your age?

Isn't that whole thing about being too old to play video games done and over with. The kid is only 15. In my high school I'd say about 90% of the males have a modern video game system. The days of people being considered a nerd because they play video games are dead.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bud_2005
Isn't that whole thing about being too old to play video games done and over with. The kid is only 15. In my high school I'd say about 90% of the males have a modern video game system. The days of people being considered a nerd because they play video games are dead.
Not play video games, bur carry the game with you everywhere you go is a little too much.

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not one of those kids who carries it everywhere in his pocket, I use it mostly when I travel.

quest

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bud_2005
not at all.. its the OTHER outside interests that keep 80% of the kids with a modern video game system from being labeled a nerd because they play video games.
it may be different in other countries, but i'd say, in australia,

playing computer games = nerdy.
playing video games (consol) = nerdy if in excess. -also depends on the game of choice to some extent.
going to a LAN party = very nerdy.
playing anything for more then 5 hours a week is prob a little anti social, more then 10 hours a week, u got a problem, any more... god help you!

note: there was a time in my life when i would spend upwards of 4 hours a day playing computer games... (and alot more then that on weekends!) by about 19, i was done with them... 18 i started toning it down alot.. but at 15, i'd cancel things so that i could play games.. it was a major problem and set back in my life..

now, i very rarely touch them.. just grew out of them, don't have time for them.. i do have an xbox though..

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I play video games during the winter and cold spring and Fall months. There is just nothing to do right now.

During the summer and warm months. You won't find me playing any video games because there is so much to do outside.

To the original poster, my friend has it and it looks cool. the graphics are good for a handheld. The sound is alright but a little low. I would much rather play a nintendo system because I am an old school gamer. I love 2-D

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Layla
I just picked up this thing. Man its BADASS.

I watched spiderman 2, its exactly like TV.
Do people not realize the problem with statements like this?

You know what else looks exactly like a TV? Urp, urp, here it comes . . . A TV!

PSP: My beef with the playstation portable could also be applied to any handheld, except the Nintendo DS. Wow, screen resolution looks as good as a TV screen? What else looks as good as a tv screen, how about a tv screen! Plays UMDs which are like DVDs? What else can do that? Maybe a DVD player! Almost as powerful as a PS2? You know what is EXACTLY as powerful as a PS2? A PS2!! What can this handheld do that I cannot already do? It's portable? That's it? Try again. Oh, but there will be a bunch of cool games for it. Oh great, that means that the PSP is nothing but a very expensive ticket to a library of games which could be made for a PS2 [\B] . Oh, and it's portable. At least the NDS does something that can't be done anywhere else. They just need some decent games to make use of it.

I'm sorry to offend any person here who has bought a PSP but I'm really disappointed with the consumer stupidity that bought into this thing so early.

People see a sleak looking device with a bright screen and think, "ooh, shiny!" and shell out $250 bucks for it. The lineup of games for it right now is only slightly better than the NDS, and that is pretty weak. Metal Gear Acid is a bomb.

I was talking to the guy at EB Games and was appalled by how easily this guy bought into it. He said he saw the intro to Dynasty Warriors (mediocre game) and was so impressed by the shininess that he had to shell out the $250 to get one. Of course, he didn't have $250 so he traded in his PS2 and all his games to get it. Let me repeat, he traded in his PS2 and all of his games to get this. So forget "God of War" which has just received a 9.8 rating at IGN. Let's spend $250 on a piece of plastic and metal that is useless without games.

He then says he showed the device to the security guys at the mall, who also were spellbound by the bright and shininess of it and immediately shelled out $250 for it. These are the people who pay three times as much for a new console the day it arrives before waiting for the price to go down or for waiting for any games to come out for it. They will be first in line to buy the first next generation console that comes out, whichever one that may be. They'll probably trade in their PSPs for it. They just have to have the newest cool looking thing.

And I'm not saying that the PSP is a bad machine and there never will be a library for it (now that everyone has one, I'm sure developers will start working on great games for it). I'm just saying how easy it is to manipulate the consumer with flash rather than content.

From the impressions I'm getting, the PSP is going to cream the NDS. It won't even be a competition. And that's sad because I'm disappointed that the risk and innovation Nintendo took with the NDS is not going to pay off for them.

Nintendo DS: Two screens? Sure, why not? Touchsceen? Go for it. Voice commands? Okay, we get the picture; it's innovative. But where are the games? Where are the games taking advantage of this innovation? The difference between innovation and gimmick are the games that make the new features fun and unique[\B]. Is the NDS a gimmick? My opinion is, so far it is. But this can be changed. Still, it's sad that so many people went out and bought one before there was anything decent to play on it. This is why all the consoles want to be the first out with the next generation consoles. They know that people will buy the newest thing even if there aren't any good games to play on it. People did it for the NDS, and will do it for the PSP (since I'm still not seeing a very strong library near launch time), and will for the next X-box (which seems like it will be the first available next generation console). A console is only as good as its games.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Sony PSP anyone?

Thanks Dapper for the stories and I agree with you full heartedly. One thing that I agree wtih you 100% on is:
Originally posted by Dapper Swindler
A console is only as good as its games.
I have so many friends that shelled out $300 on launch day to get the X-Box. There wasn't even any good games out for it. Halo sucked a$$ because it was well boring. It was mediocore at best. Racing games sucks but everyone that bought into it was like "It looks so crisp and clean of fog" Me: "Funny isn't that fog" or something to that effect.

The X-Box has yet for me at least to have the killer app that Sony or
Nintendo have.

Nintendo- Mario Kart, Mario, Link, Metroid, and many others

Playstation- Metal Gear Solid (newer games; old games like Metal Gear were on NES), Suikoden games (best RPG's in the history 1 and 2 newer ones are mediocre), and many oithers

X-Box- What Halo? Nah don't even waste my time on that piece of junk (although I haven't played Halo 2 so I won't past judgement on that game yet).

I just believe that all of my friends made a huge mistake on buying the X-box brand new when it didn't have any games. You could have bought most of the games that came out from other companies on the PS2 which at the time was either $50 or $100 cheaper.

BTW question about the DS. Is it backward compatible with the old games like GBA, GBC, and GB games?

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Sony PSP anyone?

Originally posted by comic_relief
BTW question about the DS. Is it backward compatible with the old games like GBA, GBC, and GB games?
Its only compatible with DS games and GBA games, not the regular game boy games(old ones)

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sony PSP anyone?

Originally posted by Layla
Its only compatible with DS games and GBA games, not the regular game boy games(old ones)
Thats disappointing

7 Virtues

Don Juan
Reaction score
The DS is was an unecessary introduction from Nintendo. The GBA was/is more than enough to compete with the PSP.

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great, I'm glad someone sees it my way. Those same people you spoke of will make the mistake of buying the next generation console the day it comes out. But those consoles are set to come out as early as this fall and developers are not nearly ready to release decent games that soon. Just wait, they will make some commercials which show how great the graphics are for its earliest games and poeple will rush out and buy the consoles, sold by the flash, and not realize that the content is poor.

I hate to even touch a console debate. The reason there is so much debate I think is because the PS2 and the X-box games appeal to very different markets. X-box seems to gravitate towards "American" style games (usually action-oriented, fps, soldier simulations) and the PS2 has more "Japanese" style games (rpgs, adventures). Even so, I believe the PS2 has more of those American style games than the X-box has Japanese style games. I think it might be possible that Microsoft has done this on purpose so they could secure a solid fanbase with that demographic rather than being spread out too thin. And Gamecube just has several really great exclusive games.

Engetsu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The PSP is a total waste of money. Whatever happened to playing on your PS2 at home, and listening to music in the bus, instead of coughing up 250$ for something you will be using 30 minutes a day?