Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

son wants weights

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by manuva
Lifting weights does not stunt growth.
The act of lifting will not stunt it but you need to get enough protein, if you lift and do not get enough protein then it will stunt growth. Heavy weights can damage joints and even bend your bones over time, children are more suseptable ot this because there bones are softer and dont think you need to be lifting 100's of lb's for that if i 12 year old used 20 lb dumbells it would most probably cause serious long term problems.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk
if i 12 year old used 20 lb dumbells it would most probably cause serious long term problems.

that's me!!!:)

anyway, kickboxing-muay thai is excellent:

i know 2 brothers:

one never played any sports or learned martial arts when he was younger; now, he's 17 and he's been doing karate for the last 2-3 years. he's losing lots of weight, but he's still fat (when i first met him, he was 14 and easily around 210 lbs at 5'11 or so).

his brother (same genetics:)) has been doing kickboxing since he was 12 (now he's 19) and he has the vitor belfort kinda look... ok, his muscles are maybe smaller than his, but he has never lifted any weight and he has an amazing body... he says that it's all due to his kickboxing training, but i used to doubt this statement... until a week ago, when i signed up to a muay thai course and i've felt how hard their work-outs are!

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The act of lifting will not stunt it but you need to get enough protein, if you lift and do not get enough protein then it will stunt growth. Heavy weights can damage joints and even bend your bones over time, children are more suseptable ot this because there bones are softer and dont think you need to be lifting 100's of lb's for that if i 12 year old used 20 lb dumbells it would most probably cause serious long term problems.
As I said, refer to my post at the link provided.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

MoM had some good suggestions, although I'd say boxing is better conditioning than Muay Thai hehe.
You'd be surprised. Depending on where you practice it, the conditioning training will be very similar to boxing. When it comes to fighting in the ring however, you will notice the difference between them, as MT is much more taxing on the body (i.e. you're using fists, knees, elbows and feet for attacking and defending as opposed to just fists).

I'd seriously recommend MT for any 12 year old. By the time they're 18, not only will they have a very athletic body, but they'll be absolutely lethal.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
t if i 12 year old used 20 lb dumbells it would most probably cause serious long term problems.
uh no buddy, i lifted at 10 and i did more than 20 for biceps (yes biceps :p )

Cbaoth

Don Juan
Reaction score
At 12 he will have neither the focus nor required testosterone levels to actually gain anything from lifting. It can most definately be dangerous unless you have someone to teach him how to lift properly. Teach him patience.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A chin/dipping bar is ideal like MOM said, that's how my little brother started at about 14.. you might also consider some of those little pushup thingies (not strictly necessary but they're a cool little present I'd say), the little handles you hold onto..

I'd also say get him the light weights (2-3-4 lb) but make sure he only uses the smaller one(s), don't blunt his enthusiasm or anything.. I was watching Arnie S at that age myself and wanting to be like him, I know that a set of plastic 'girly' dumbbells from Argos got me started off pretty well, and did me no harm at all - I don't think it's dangerous if he just does his own thing at home under supervision. It wasn't for me anyway.

Weightlifting does NOT stunt growth.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think we have decided to use some very small dumbells that we can start off at 3lbs or so and later on if he sticks with it and enjoys it perhaps add more weight to them. who knows if he will even like it in two weeks.(havent found the water weights to know if what they are yet.)

i now kinda think it would be fun to get him a set of gloves and a bag. when he has a bad day or gets bored , her can punch the heck out of it . its something to do and its healthy. his little brother would probally like that too.

does anyone have a link to the bar mind over matter suggested?

im not exactly sure what mt is either.

Mjfan12

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting weights does not stunt growth.

Refer to my post:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77301

MoM had some good suggestions, although I'd say boxing is better conditioning than Muay Thai hehe.
Are you kidding me?
Just punching is better than punching, elbows, knees, and kicking? lmao.

Muay thai>boxing

Pen kitten:

Muay Thai (MT) is a hardcore version of kickboxing. Its a Thai martial art. very awesome, very effective, very good workout.

It will give the little guy excelllent disipline, confidence, and the ability to look after himself. He seems really small even for his age. I assume he might be pushed around by the other kids. this will help him out way more than lifting weights right now.

Martial arts are great for kids. it has helped me out a ton in my life.

Just dont take him to crappy places like tae kwon do or karate. theyre ineffective and in america usually scam people.

Wrestling or jiu jitsu is also an excellent option. they also work great.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mjfan12
Are you kidding me?
Just punching is better than punching, elbows, knees, and kicking? lmao.

Muay thai>boxing
Conditioning-wise, I've found boxing to be a harder workout, with more intensive cardio than Muay Thai. Boxing tends to be a lot faster. I never vomited from a Muay Thai training session.

Maybe standards are different around the world.

You have, I assume, trained in both given that you're passing judgement? Did you find Muay Thai a harder, faster workout?

Mjfan12

Don Juan
Reaction score
Conditioning-wise, I've found boxing to be a harder workout, with more intensive cardio than Muay Thai. Boxing tends to be a lot faster. I never vomited from a Muay Thai training session.

Maybe standards are different around the world.

You have, I assume, trained in both given that you're passing judgement? Did you find Muay Thai a harder, faster workout?
Yes I have done both. I train at an mma gym here. We do MT, boxing, Shidokan, and submission grappling.

Maybe speed wise you are right, just punching is faster, but its hardly overall better. Because you are mainly using your upper body. Your back, abs, delts, shoulders, arms will be well conditioned and defined, but what about the legs? Majority of boxers have chicken legs.

MT will cover the entire body. Plus IMO its a much better defensive art because you use all your natural weapons instead of limiting yourself to one.

But I dont hate boxing, its just that given the choice I'd take MT over boxing alone.

SupaDupaAFC

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mjfan12
Muay Thai (MT) is a hardcore version of kickboxing. Its a Thai martial art. very awesome, very effective, very good workout.

It will give the little guy excelllent disipline, confidence, and the ability to look after himself. He seems really small even for his age. I assume he might be pushed around by the other kids. this will help him out way more than lifting weights right now.
And once he beat's some kid's a$$ at school, he can take MONEY THAI as the settlement will cost lots.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SupaDupaAFC
And once he beat's some kid's a$$ at school, he can take MONEY THAI as the settlement will cost lots.
Yeah. It's better that he don't learn to fight. He might get picked on and bullied, and the teachers might not do anything about it that's at least adequate, but at least he'll know he did the right thing by not fighting back.

</SARCASM>

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MetalFortress
Yeah. It's better that he don't learn to fight. He might get picked on and bullied, and the teachers might not do anything about it that's at least adequate, but at least he'll know he did the right thing by not fighting back.

i dont promote fighting, however i dont promote letting someone kick your butt while you stand there either.