Some Wisdom....

JazzPimpNYC

Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn the rules then FORGET the rules

I'm sure you guys can already tell from my nickname that I'm a professional jazz musician in training, and the parallels to the dating game and the creative arts is truly incredible. Jazz, as in dating, is a two-part deal. There is "art" and "craft" involved in learning an instrument and then being able to improvise in the moment. The "craft" of dating is knowing the rules as well as getting your outer-game together (self-improvement, hygiene, mental health). The "art" of dating is being able to play and think in the moment, connecting to that other place and letting the music come to you instead of forcing it by anxiously worrying and analyzing the moment as it happens. The idiot-savant legend of bebop jazz, Charlie Parker once said:

Learn the rules, then forget them all. You gotta know the rules first to forget them.

In my experience, as I'm sure most of you will agree with me, the only rules and things that you should learn and follow are:

1) Good manners, solid values, strong family ties, and healthy respect for yourself and others gives you the solid foundation for a well-rounded personality that will get you far in the social and professional world, let alone the dating game.

2) Never be lazy and cut corners. What you gain in time and convenience will hit you later after the deed is done. It takes just as much effort to do the wrong thing as it does to do the right thing in the long run.

4) Being a responsible person means making everything you have control over a priority in your life, starting with your own body and belongings and then letting it overflow to every other area. Sure, you could trick a woman into being attracted to you through crafty tactics, but if you have yourself together and in control, women will gravitate to you naturally and strongly with little effort.

5) Dwelling on past failures, complaining about the present, and worrying about the future accomplishes absolutely nothing. The only person to blame for your state of negativity is yourself. If your negative emotions and thoughts cause you to have such a narrow awareness of the present and its opportunities to enjoy life, you will never experience them. This is where strong family ties will help you if you are truly needing and seeking help.

6) Distinguish the difference between needs and wants. Needs are things such as food, water, air, clothing, shelter, transportation, money. Wants are five-star food, tap water from FIJI, a closet full of Versace threads, a Manhattan penthouse, millions of dollars, a '69 camero, and lots of women and sex. Women want to be wanted, not needed. Wanting can be a powerful ally in the dating game and should be your drive to getting the girl that YOU want. Why complicate things by trying to analyze women through logical devices? You want that ass, simple as that. Let her know what you want, but DO NOT let that want turn into need.

7) Realize that being a responsible adult means standing up for what you believe in, even if you don't know what the consequences will be. I lost an incredibly amazing, sexy, beautiful girl because I ended our heated foreplay seconds before sex when she jokingly hinted that she was in a committed relationship. I stopped, got up, and left immediately. For months, I was so upset with myself because I could have had my dream girl and I lost everything I had going with her, but then I realised that I made the right decision and would have made the whole situation MUCH worse if we had followed through. Integrity will save your life, my friend.

8) Humility is not a sign of weak confidence. In fact, it proves to yourself and others that your self-image is solidly grounded in confidence. You have nothing to prove and nothing to hide. Give women multiple opportunities to find out for themselves what kind of person you are instead of force-feeding them by false advertising, which drives them away.

9) Never be ashamed of your sexuality. Realize that there's nothing wrong with sex and everyone wants it. Joke about it, laugh about it, talk about it. Opening up (tastefully) about sex will show women that you're not ashamed of yourself and are confident in all areas of your life, and they will also feel more comfortable around you, will gravitate towards you, and will warm up to you emotionally and physically.

10) In most cases, perception is more important than reality; How people perceive you is more important than what you know to be true about yourself. If you know and believe all of the rules I listed above, but aren't acting on them or making them easily apparent to others, women will never have a clue about who you really are and what you want.

These truths are universal. Learn them, work on them, be aware of them, and make them a part of you. Then FORGET THEM and enjoy life and yourself in the present moment, where you are. Women will gravitate towards you if you truly believe in yourself.

Last edited:

JazzPimpNYC

Don Juan
Reaction score
As I was reading through my post, I realised this...

Men want to be needed.
Women need to be wanted.

Trumpetman

Don Juan
Reaction score
yes I thought that was the most important and best part about your post

theSpeculator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How people perceive you is more important than what you know to be true about yourself.
I disagree with this. Your self-image is much more important then how people see you. Everything about you from personalities to ambitions all get its source from your self-image. Even how people see you is linked to your self-image. for example, peoole will react positively if you have a high positive self-image, where as the opposite is also true.

Beside that above quote, I think this is a very good post. Good job.

On a side note, in the future if you want more people to see your posts, do as much a good job in thinking of a title as what you write in the body.

"Some Wisdom.." sounds like a good title but b/c so many posters here have used similar titles like that in the past it has become cliche. Take in the fact that some are bad posts makes you prejudice on future posts with similar titles. A better title could've been "Learn the rules, then forget them all. You gotta know the rules first to forget them."

JazzPimpNYC

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I need to clarify my quote about perception a little bit more.

This concept was brought to my attention when friends and collegues thought that I was unappreciative of their efforts and came off as ****y and arrogant through my words and actions, which was not how I truly felt. Not only were my relationships with women suffering, but relationships in every area of my life seemed to drag because I wasn't showing them that I sincerely cared about them.

How this applies to the dating game is even more important. You meet a girl in a bar, have a 2 minute phone call, take her out on a date. You can have 5 minutes to 5 hours for her to peice together an idea of your personality from her perceptions, a first impression. What is an impression? Her perception of your personality. It is very possible to give off the wrong impression, so thats why eveyone should be aware of how people perceive you.

If you truly are a nice guy but come off as an ******* within the first five minutes of meeting someone, you can say goodbye to that date/new job.

I think also brings up other areas worth discussing. Pickup artists who go to the extreme trying to impress and steal attention from women by using unique and unusual approaches have a lower success/failure ratio, but because of their continuous efforts, they get a considerable amount of success, but only from a certain demographic (street-smart, experienced, slutty). I know this from personal experience. When you let go of trying to seek out women with the intention of sex or a relationship to focus on other (more important) areas of your life, you'll begin to realise that beautiful, available women with substance are everywhere and seeking YOU out.

Last edited: