Some help needed

RiceandChicken

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's up?
Anyways, my bench press and squat are a little stuck at the moment,
250 on bench, and 345 on squat. Anyways to break the plateau?
Thanks guys.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't help you with squat as I've never had a bad plateau on that lift. I can help with bench though. I've found that what helps to break a plateau as far as 1RM (which I'm assuming you're talking about) is to throw in some high rep training also. It's helped me raise my max 40 lbs in a matter of a couple months. I'll just use what I've been doing as an example:

I bench twice per week, usually 2-3 days apart. One of those days I focus on high reps and burnout, the other day I never do more than 5 reps other than my warmup set, and go as heavy as I can.

For the high rep days, I will do sets of 15, 12, 12, 10, increasing weight each time obviously. Then after my set of 8 I'll raise the weight one last time and usually only am able to get 2-3 reps. Then after all this, I go back to the weight I had on my set of 10, and rep til failure. Then for the last set, I go back to my starting weight that I did 15 with, and go to failure, usually shooting for 20 reps. To easier visualize it:

Warmup set
15 x 135 lbs
Working sets
12 x 185 lbs
12 x 205 lbs
10 x 225 lbs
? x 245-275 lbs depending on how I feel that day
Burnout sets
AMRAP (as many reps as possible) x 225 lbs
AMRAP x 135 lbs

My max right now is 285 so obviously tailor the weight according to what you are able to do. You should be able to hit each of the reps, but don't make the weight so light that you don't even break a sweat. By the last rep of each set I'm struggling to get it up, but I do. Think of it as riding the fine line of going to failure without actually failing.

Then on the heavy bench day, I warmup with a light weight x 10 reps, and jump straight into the heavy weight. I'll aim for 5 sets of 5, but usually by the 3rd set it gets so heavy I can only get 2 or 3 reps, and from there I do singles until failure, increasing weight each time by about 10 lbs. So:

10 x 135 lbs
5 x 225 lbs
4-5 x 245 lbs
2-3 x 255 lbs
1-2 x 275 lbs
1 x ? lbs til I can't go any heavier

Basically the point is that I've found offsetting heavy low rep sets with lighter high rep sets is beneficial to raising your strength. The hypertrophy of the higher reps builds more muscle mass, which doesn't raise strength in and of itself, but gives your body more to work with when you do decide to train heavy. I've always been a fan of blending bodybuilding and powerlifting parameters for lifting.

RiceandChicken

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya man, I find that I'm getting hungrier more often. So, thats a odd thing. But I welcome it.

Stig, thanks for the lengthy advice, read it all, and it sounds good. will try to implement that soon.

Thanks guys. I welcome more advice always!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's your Height, weight age and approx. body composition? How long have you been lifting for?

Do you use hi or low bar on your squat? What accessory work are you doing and what's your deadlift?

RiceandChicken

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well to answer your questions:
I'm 15. 5'10, 190. Been lifting for 3 years. I have a bulky composition, so ya. I use high bar on squat. Accessory work includes triangle push-ups, dips, military, incline, flys, close and reverse grip bench. And my deadlift is 425.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Holy sh1t dude those are damn impressive numbers for a 15 year old! Also, you've been lifting since you were 12?

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're still going through puberty lad. Just wait some, and those figures will skyrocket.
Just let your body develop first.

RiceandChicken

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya guys, I guess I was born a strong lad. In that case, thanks genes lol. But ya, I am progressing through puberty pretty quick(started at age 10). So ya.

I could be rushing it; and I wouldn't want to hurt my self now knowing football season for us is 2 months away(can't wait to put the pads on). But ya.

And Stig, yes I have. Pretty early start I'd say; but they made us lift in 7th grade during off season.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, I suppose I was 13 when I started. Same story....off season after 7th grade they had classes for us, training us on all the major lifts. For some reason 12 seems much younger than 13 lol, but it's really not. And savor every moment in the pads and on the field...it's over before you know it and you'll never get it back.

RiceandChicken

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Defiently man. Gotta cherish every moment I get on the field. I'd like to play College ball though, so I'm working for that.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Give this routine a shot, 2-3 times per week:

Breathing squats 1 x 20

Bench press 2 x 7

Romanian deadlifts 1 x 20, 1 x 10

Military press 2 x 7

Bent rows/T Bar rows/powercleans 3-4 sets

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RiceandChicken said:
Defiently man. Gotta cherish every moment I get on the field. I'd like to play College ball though, so I'm working for that.
Yeah man I wanted to, but senior year I tore my PCL, LCL, MCL, meniscus, and hamstring in my right knee all at once. It was a Willis Mcgahee type thing.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theres some good advice here, though I'd recommend this..

Monday: Squat + Assistance

Wednesday: Bench + Assistance

Friday: Deadlift + Assistance

As for "assistance" work, I could give you 100 things to do, but you will just have to find out what works for you. If your secondary work isn't helping the main lift, drop it.

RiceandChicken

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys. Today we had benching in our upper body workout today, so needless to say I was pumped to go knock out some weight. Got on, and I did 185x2x5(185 for 2 sets of 5) and 205x1x5(205 for 1 set of 5)[which was a PR for me so that made me happy). So good results. Anyone know what 205 for 5 reps would equate to as a 1 rep max?

And previous messaged was deleted because I somehow triple posted...

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RiceandChicken said:
Thanks for advice guys. Today we had benching in our upper body workout today, so needless to say I was pumped to go knock out some weight. Got on, and I did 185x2x5(185 for 2 sets of 5) and 205x1x5(205 for 1 set of 5)[which was a PR for me so that made me happy). So good results. Anyone know what 205 for 5 reps would equate to as a 1 rep max?

And previous messaged was deleted because I somehow triple posted...
somewhere around 235-245

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheStig said:
somewhere around 235-245
Sounds about right. You could also use this formula...

Weight X Reps X .0333 + Weight = 1RM