Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

SO who here started a small business?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
about 6 and a,half years ago my old business partner and myself started a custom online computer business, did good enough where I was able to sell my share of the company and I have not had a "real job" sense. I handicap horse races and do well enough where I live very comfortably, but would not be able to do so if I did not know I had a piggy bank to fall back on, because you have to be able to take ri sks, and a person that is in finanical constraints cannot take the necessary risk to be successful.

I've gotten pretty bored the last couple of years, even with the horse racing, I like to start and run businesses, so I started another business a web development business, black17media.com about 6 months ago. I funded it and I handle some of the sales but that's it. It's pretty successful, probably moreso than the old computer company at this stage.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I never did marketing on the internet but I started a business web hosting referral program a few weeks ago. No Start up costs but my business is sky rocketing. I hardly do anything, make a few videos here and there.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A Corporation or an LLC basically acts as a separate entity than the employee who manages it. That means that if your company gets sued for business related issues, your personal assets are safe. However, if you do business under your own name (sole proprietorship), then you ARE the company, and you could potentially lose everything you own.

With an LLC, your personal assets are protected. Only company profits can be claimed by lawyers in a suit.

With a corporation, lawyers can't touch your company profits, but they can sue you personally and steal your shares, basically taking your business from under you.

But if you do business under an LLC, and funnel the profits into an unrelated S-Corp (say a financial management company, for example), then you're virtually bullet-proof. Lawyers won't get anything from suing your LLC, because there are no profits for them to take, and they can't sue your S-corp, because it's a completely different company.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was forced to go out on my own in mid-2002. I had gotten fired from an IT Help Desk job, but had already been doing private PC repairs on the side.
I simply grew my business (had already incorporated as an S-corp) one client at a time.
Yes, "the business owns you." I have LESS free time to myself, because I'm still doing all of the work by myself, roughly seven days a week.
But, I'm doing better financially than as a salaried worker, I have generally really cool clients who have made for some really interesting (in a good way) experiences, and I really can't be "fired" - at least not by one individual person.
The previous concern about liability was dead-on. The thing I'm most afraid of is working on a shaky, decrepit PC that someone counts heavily on for business or personal use, and it decides to die as I am working on it.
None of my good clients would try to hurt me for something like that, but someone that got to me through an ad, and doesn't know of my good rep might convince themselves that it was my fault, and go after me.
There are insurance policies that you can buy... I believe that the type of insurance that most directly addresses this sort of problem is called "E&O" - errors and omissions.
It might not hurt either if you think you're working on a shaky machine or if the client seems like they've got a litigious itch, to have them sign some sort of waiver saying, "I understand that so and so (tech's name) is repairing my computer on a 'best effort' basis, and that unexpected problems and failures can occur during and shortly after the troubleshooting process."
Some general hints:

1. Always pick up the phone or return calls promptly if they go to voicemail. Have a good phone voice... I can't tell you how many clients who weren't referrals told me that they 'just liked the way I sounded." And I can't tell you how many businesses (and clients) I've refused to deal with because they muttered/mumbled or just 'sounded weird.'

2. Charge somewhere between the cheapest and most expensive. I see guys advertising on Craigslist and other venues for $20/hr for computer repairs. No one uses them, except the stingiest of people, because that's WAY below market rate for independent techs. A super low rate screams "I'm a newbie to PC repair, and can't charge any more than that" or "I'm desperate to grab business from the established players in this market." The most expensive ones charge upwards of $150 an hour, and are simply out to make a quick buck. Always give a fair estimate, and stick to it. Explain what you are doing, and why. If they say, "I don't need an explanation, just fix it" then fine... as a corollary, let them watch what you are doing if they want. Not allowing this will make them wonder if you're peeking through their stuff, or perhaps doing "quick fixes" rather than addressing the problem correctly. And don't charge more than half of the cost of a new, value priced PC. I can't tell you how many clients have told me horror stories of paying hundreds of dollars to have a few viruses removed from a PC. Sure, they reluctantly wrote that check, but they called me instead of that other person. Sacrifice a little money upfront to build long-term trust and referrals.

3. Be thoughtful - if you are walking toward someone's house and their morning paper is on the front walk, grab it and hand it to them when they open the door. Take your shoes off... toilet seat down if using their restroom, etc. Don't engage in a lot of small talk... If they "open" you, then fine, get into a convo, but remember that the best experience for the vast majority of homeowners is one in which the service person shows up on time, does the job quietly and efficiently, and leaves upon completion.

4. I think the idea of a mobile repair van is an excellent one. I ofthen think that if I ever run into serious financial problems, I'd sell my apt and buy a van or small box truck, and set it up with all of the storage and outlets I'd need to do my work, plus a small sleeping area. Then I'd take it all over the country, earning fuel and food money doing repairs.

5. Build up a small inventory of parts - NIC cards, video cards, hard drives, cables, etc. Buy them cheap on Ebay, Newegg, etc and then re-sell them at 95 - 105% of retail when you do a repair. You CAN make a profit on hardware if you buy inexpensively to begin with.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A couple of other quick thoughts:
Take an EMS philosophy: "first, do no harm"
So - above all, make sure their data is safe... almost any and every piece of hardware these days is cheap and quick to replace... but those term papers, months of Quicken entries and vacation/wedding photos are difficult or impossible to replace.
I have a special "workbench pc" on which I have a 1TB hard drive. I use Ghost 2003 (later versions of ghost aren't that great for some reason) to make blind backups of a client's hard drive before I begin work.
Some advantages:
1. It boots from a CD or floppy... if their drive is unbootable, but the file table has decent integrity, it will still back it up. This is an unattended backup - you can literally walk away and do other things while it runs. If using SATA drives or a mix of IDE and SATA, make sure you use the -noide command switch when starting Ghost.
2. It backs EVERYTHING up. There is no way a client can accuse you of "oops you forgot to backup my obscure folder that wasn't in My Documents" because Ghost grabs the whole enchilada.
3. You can use Ghost Explorer to open up this backup image, and extract out anything that was on the original drive. As a side bonus, if they forgot their windows password, you can still get the data, because at this point, NTFS permissions don't apply while browsing through this archive.

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dbot said:
A Corporation or an LLC basically acts as a separate entity than the employee who manages it. That means that if your company gets sued for business related issues, your personal assets are safe. However, if you do business under your own name (sole proprietorship), then you ARE the company, and you could potentially lose everything you own.

With an LLC, your personal assets are protected. Only company profits can be claimed by lawyers in a suit.

With a corporation, lawyers can't touch your company profits, but they can sue you personally and steal your shares, basically taking your business from under you.

But if you do business under an LLC, and funnel the profits into an unrelated S-Corp (say a financial management company, for example), then you're virtually bullet-proof. Lawyers won't get anything from suing your LLC, because there are no profits for them to take, and they can't sue your S-corp, because it's a completely different company.

Good advice! Keep this thread alive!

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been putting together my site. I've switched over to a Content Management System. I'm using Expression Engine.

Does anyone have a resource for web design for dummies? Stuff like plugins, themes, how to optimize stuff, what the difference is between the different content management systems.

BTW, for anyone interested. AWARDSPACE gives some decent free web hosting! Domain name costs extra, but its free!

Duffdog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started a sound production company 10yrs ago. It actually payed my way through college. Unfortunately, the particular clientele I service are out of town, so I am forced to do touring audio. It was a huge initial investment and carries with it an enormous responsibility. But, it helped me get my corporate job and secure a future for myself doing something other than pro-audio (which I now dislike)