So I got this 25 year old friend who's a virgin

cw92

Don Juan
Reaction score
Luke Skywalker said:
What do you think?
Now it seems pretty obvious to me that your Sola Scriptura (Protestant), because you cant say that masturbation isnt a sin if your Catholic. The church does not see it that way. If your Sola Scriptura then i guess there isn't a problem, other then that most religions still view masturbation as a sin.

If you are a firm beilver in the Catholic Church and their views then masturbation is a sin, simple as that. I can't see how you can say otherwise; though, there is always a chance for error so if you find any offical documents I'm all ears.(or eyes?)

Your arguments are all coherent, and I dont have a problem with you giving advice but the masturbation just stood out to me; and the un-needed sarcasm in response to my question.

Reaction score
cw92 said:
Now it seems pretty obvious to me that your Sola Scriptura (Protestant), because you cant say that masturbation isnt a sin if your Catholic. The church does not see it that way. If your Sola Scriptura then i guess there isn't a problem, other then that most religions still view masturbation as a sin.
Exactly, so why would you ask if I'm catholic or protestant if you already know the answer to the question. Isn't it obvious. I'm against virtually all sacriments against the church, except marriage, because I don't see them as having any scriptural foundation.

I'm unconcerned about what other religions view masturbation as, however I do have a summary knowledge about Islam. Islam feels that masturbation is alright as long as it prevents a greater sin from occuring. For example, it's better to masturbate about having sex with a married woman than actually having sex with a married woman. If masturbation prevented that sin from occuring then it's better.

I'm unaware about how other religions will view masturbation, although I recall reading an article on wikipedia about it. Although I'm very interested in hearing religious view points for my own curiosity, but will maintain that as far as scripture is concern -- there is a grey area about the subject.

In fact, here are a few further links written about the subject:

http://www.sexinchrist.com/masturbation.html
http://www.libchrist.com/sexed/masturbation.html
http://www.themarriagebed.com/pages/bible/app/masturbation/mastdiscuss.shtml

You will find that my views are not isolated, or only held to myself. It's simply a matter of opinion -- God really looks at the heart and what is going on in there and that is up to Him to judge, not other people.

cw92 said:
If you are a firm beilver in the Catholic Church and their views then masturbation is a sin, simple as that. I can't see how you can say otherwise; though, there is always a chance for error so if you find any offical documents I'm all ears.(or eyes?)
I do not care very much what the catholic church says about masturbation because they lack credibility in my view, and certainly the public in matters of sexual credibility. Let's just say, if some of those pedophile priests masturbated instead of abused yonge kids, I don't think there would be much of a scandle today.

cw92 said:
Your arguments are all coherent, and I dont have a problem with you giving advice but the masturbation just stood out to me; and the un-needed sarcasm in response to my question.

Reaction score
izza said:
Also, Luke why do you keep allowing yourself to get provoked into a stupid discussion where people's goal is to mock you. FYI I don't think discussing religion is stupid, I think it's unwise to discuss religion with people who have a bad attitude.
To resolve any issues within myself where any shadow of doubt may persist that I have an elaborate system that's used as a smokescreen for issues fundamentally relating to an inability to get laid, and ensure whatever it is that is there is really 100% real. A success in this particular debate or discussion disproves any such assertion which was the reason it was brought up in the first place.

izza said:
For instance, why discuss with people who are just trying to make themselves feel better through mockery. That is not charity. That is not enlightenment. That is enabling them to act like fools.
If the particular issue is being addressed (i.e. slippery slope arguement or a masturbation arguement), then it is seen as a fundamental threat to the issue and must be addressed. If they are seen as trying to argue with me that I am indeed making a smoke-screen out of my religious beliefs, then I feel there is an obligation to show otherwise. The whole fundamental arguement boils down to masturbation since that is something I do without any conpunction.

They merely have to show I'm in violation in principle to scripture by masturbating to prove their arguement relating to sexual matters, which they have failed to do. Failing to prove that, then it can not be shown I'm using my religious beliefs as a smoke-screen because I'm behaving totally congruent to scripture. If I cherry picked what verses to follow especially since I have control over masturbating, while I don't have the same level of control about getting laid, then they would actually have one up on me. But the thing is, they cant show the Bible says anywhere definitively that masturbation was wrong so there is no cherry picking going on and that becomes a moot case.

izza said:
You are just talking about you, but you are not telling the truth about the situation. Some people just want to poke holes in you. I have wasted plenty of time with hole-pokers. Their immediate goal is to hurt others. It is a band-aid on their pain.
You are correct. I've written other threads on here, and I think people have caught on to the idea, that if I really wanted to, then I could get laid in some cases.

The OP in this case it talking about a 25 year old virgin that claims he will be dirty or unclean if he has sex. I think the portrayal here is people using religious beliefs as a smoke-screen to hide the fact that they cant get laid if their life depended on it or would have to use a prostitute.

I'm fighting that very portrayal by showing that there is no smoke-screen and that this is the real deal if there is any shadow of doubt. Now to SOME guys on here -- like joejoe85, they'll admit that their beliefs are a smokescreen to help them feel better to the fact they can not get laid and are using this as a crutch to make them feel better about their lifestyle. That being said, I think it's necessary to make a full blown religious discussion at least somewhere to argue that very thing.

izzi said:
I'm also concerned that you have a sort of laissez-abuser attitude that doesn't help you, it doesn't help other people. It's just being a pushover. Not that I'm saying people should be violent, or retributive. I think people should kindly speak the truth when others are misbehaving. And that is definitely a dating skill.

Izza
The laissez-abuser attitude? I don't know what you are talking about?

The lady that's coming over from Manitoba? Something else? You are talking to me?