Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Snowboarding or skiing.....which to try?

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never snowboarded or skied in my life. Last week a friend invited me to go snowboarding with him and some people tomorrow but they cancelled because of exams and stuff. I was so psyched for it that I figured fuckit and I'll just go by myself this weekend.

I've always thought snowboarding looks more fun that skiing, but I have heard people say that skiing can be easier and is more fun. Which should I try out if I can only do one?

Also, they offer $20/hour group ski lessons, $30/hour group snowboard lessons, and $40 private lessons. Do you think it would be worth it?

Look, letting gorgeous women pass you by is a sin against nature.

But with the secrets in The Natural, you'll electrify any interaction and have stunners eating out of your hand.

From the first "hello" to the bedroom, this manual gives you the verbal ammunition and psychological tricks to make her putty.

Get Your Copy of The Natural - For Free!

immrtlwun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends whether you plan on doing it again. In the long run, snowboarding is a lot more fun. But the first time its pretty hard. Skiing is a lot easier to learn the first time, but after a while, I think it gets boring.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about skiing...I've never done it..(snowboarded instead)...but to have 2 free roaming legs...eep.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skiing is a lot faster!

I personally Ski, I have never snowboarded and have no intention on doing so.

Skiing is a lot easier to learn, as pointed out above.

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done both (skiied on a 3-day trip once, and I snowboard a lot now), so this is what I tell everyone based on my experiences and what I've heard from others:

Skiing is much easier than snowboarding is your first time, but you progress much faster with snowboarding. For example, let's say you go on a ski or snowboard trip to a resort for a week. If you went skiing the first couple days would be a lot easier and more fun than the first couple days snowboarding. But if you snowboarded all week, by the end of the week you'd probably be better at snowboarding than you would be at skiing at the end of the week if you skiied all week. If that didn't make any sense, basically snowboarding is harder in the beginning, but is easier in the long run.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had just snowboarded for the first time in my life a week ago. Man, i am telling ya, it was amazing. I'll tell you right now, you NEED someone to teach you for the first hour, otherwise you'll fall every second and will think it sucks. I wouldnt even pay for the lesson, just grab a buddy who knows what to do or do what i did - say "I am certain that i will end up killing myself shortly" and ask somebody for help. My teacher was an 11 year old kid. In an hour i was leaving people in awe who started at the same time as me.

I have skied before and snowboarding is definitely more challenging at first, but give it an hour and you should be doing ok.

Remember - VERY WARM GLOVES. Pants with padding (You WILL hit your ass hard), A hat and a warm jacket. Good luck

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, that's helpful. Although I don't know anyone who snowboards (the guy who invited me is moving away next week).

btw, if I really get into and want to buy my own gear, any recommendations on what to get? any online stores that sell snowboarding gear cheap? I was in a sporting goods store today and browsed the snowboard section and noticed there were a lot of different sizes, even in the "adult sized" section. How do you know what size is for you? And are snowboarding goggles necessary or will sunglasses suffice?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I snowboarded for the first time on friday. Ive been sore as sh*t since then. It was fun as hell though. Im thinking about buying some stuff but i cant decide.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, i am not going to buy any gear...yet. There are specials going on at ski resorts around me where for $26 i get the lift ticket and the gear. Investing $300+ right now on this just doesnt work for me. I am planning on going at least 3 more times before visiting the sporting store.

And, just like oak said, you will be sore as sh1t for the next 4-5 days. I never imagined i have that many muscles in my legs that can be sore.

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been snowboaring for 12 years, and for 3 of those years I worked as a snowboard instructor and taught over a hundred people.

Many people will say that snowboarding is easier than skiing, and in fact complain that snowboarding attracts people who lack the dedication to ski. They are missing the bigger picture. Skiing and snowboarding do indeed have very different learning curves, but it's misguided to claim that snowboarding is easier.

The hardest progression for a skier is gaining skill level from beginner to intermediate, since the technique between the two is completely different. Once a person reaches an intermediate level, however, the progression to advanced technique is one mostly due to refinement.

Snowboarding, on the other hand, tends to be easier for people just starting out who want to reach an intermediate level of skill. Most people, however, plateu at the intermediate skill and never make it to advanced, because going from intermediate to advanced involves learning completely new skills and the correction of some very bad habits that people tend to form when starting out.

If you've never started before, I highly recommend a lesson. When starting my job as an instructor, I was shocked to see myself able to teach people to snowboard better in 2 hours than I did after my entire first season. I became startlingly aware of all the bad habits that I formed starting out, and was able to nip those potential problems in the bud by making them aware of them before they become a habit that needs correcting. Examples of these bad habits include not leading with a dominant foot, not using both edges (heel and toe) equally, not learning proper control over speed and direction hence being afraid to gain any kind of speed because you'll lose control, falling with your palms open making yourself vulnerable to the #1 snowboarding injury - broken wrists, placing too much weight on the downhill edge causing a faceplant or assplant, not properly centering your balance causing you to tip one direction or the other, incorrect arrangement of the stance causing unneccessary soreness, embarassing accidents when trying to ride the lift, and rushing into too difficult terrain causing yourself to fall more the necessary and frustrating yourself into never wanting to snowboard again, just to name a few.

Of course you can learn without a lesson, but a good instructor can make a huge difference. If you do choose to go with a lesson, I recommend screening the instructor and find one that you like and request him or her personally, and order a private lesson so that you can get full personal attention. Most people who enjoyed the group lessons I gave later came back and paid for a private lesson because 2 hours with 5 students just doesn't give a teacher enough time to get everyone to the level he would like to before releasing them out to hurt themselves on their own.

For gear, your first day consider renting. If you do buy gear, go for a mid-range snowboard that is advertised as an "all-mountain" board for maximum versatility. Check the weight and height recommendations of the manufacturers, getting one towards the smaller range for your class to make it easier for you to start out. Don't splurge on your first board, because the process of learning tends to destroy equipment as you learn to avoid running over rocks, stumps, and other assorted hazards that tend to exist on just about any mountain. I do recommend buying a nice step-in binding/boot set that will last you, because it can be extremely frustrating to spend half the day on your ass wrestling with an ice-encrusted clasp system when a much nicer and easier to use step in system can get you on your feet and down the hill twice as fast. Also, keep in mind that your feet are together, so if you encounter a flat spot on a cross-mountain trail (Jeep trails) then you will have to unbuckle your back foot and push, and you aslo have to unbuckle the back foot every time you get on and off the lift. On a good day, this might mean you strap in and out as many as 50 times - no big deal if it's just a click either way.

Remember to take plenty of brakes. There's no shame in retiring to the lodge for a cup of hot chocolate or coffee or a tasty sandwhich to swap war stories with some cute ski bunnies before hitting the slopes again. And whatever you do, don't skip the jacuzzi session at the end of the day, which is absolutely the best feeling after you've worked your muscles and frozen your ass off all day long - preferably a hot tub full of bikini clab babes. Preferably.

Anyway, I hope you go with snowboarding, and really enjoy it. I don't teach officially anymore, but, hell, if you came out I'd give you a free lesson.

Let me also second

Remember - VERY WARM GLOVES. Pants with padding (You WILL hit your ass hard), A hat and a warm jacket. Good luck

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
not using both edges (heel and toe) equally, not learning proper control over speed and direction hence being afraid to gain any kind of speed because you'll lose control, falling with your palms open making yourself vulnerable to the #1 snowboarding injury - broken wrists, placing too much weight on the downhill edge causing a faceplant or assplant, not properly centering your balance causing you to tip one direction or the other, incorrect arrangement of the stance causing unneccessary soreness
Hey, thanks for input BrotherAP.

I would love it if you could expand on these. I have noticed that my wrists were shot after 4-5 hard falls. What is the right way of falling to prevent this? I was taught to place most of the weight on the front foot, however i noticed that once you get some speed, it gets difficult to control the board and prevent it from turning. One of my runs i picked up good speed and all of the sudden started turning....i ended up doing a couple of 360's using my hands and leaning forward just so i don't eat some major snow.

Talking about embarrasing lifts- I got nailed hard in the ass by a 5 person lift... yeah, i think everyone got one of those stories.

if you came out I'd give you a free lesson.
Alright, where you at? Come to MN and the lift's on me :)

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oxide
Hey, thanks for input BrotherAP.

I would love it if you could expand on these. I have noticed that my wrists were shot after 4-5 hard falls. What is the right way of falling to prevent this? I was taught to place most of the weight on the front foot, however i noticed that once you get some speed, it gets difficult to control the board and prevent it from turning. One of my runs i picked up good speed and all of the sudden started turning....i ended up doing a couple of 360's using my hands and leaning forward just so i don't eat some major snow.
The proper way to fall is to make a fist, and punch the ground as you land. Instinctively, this is difficult because it seems like it should hurt your fist - but you have padded gloves on and you are landing in snow. This isn't like your hitting pavement. This will protect your wrists. Or, if you prefer, go to a sports store and get some wrist protectors like a rollerblader might wear, and wear them under your gloves if your embarassed to be seen with them. Remember, broken wrist is the #1 snowboarding injury for beginners. For intermediate boarders, it's head injuries, so consider getting a helmet too. Knocking your melon on a tree can be deadly.

As for controlling your foot, keep in mind that the foot you put more weight on will actually tend to go more downhill, and this is the most basic concept used in controlling the direction of your board. You should learn to make this coincide smoothly with the direction you are leaning. If your toe edge is even slightly more downhill than your heel edge, you do not want to lean towards your toes or you will end up with your face in the snow. Vice-versa for your heel edge, and hitting your butt.

Talking about embarrasing lifts- I got nailed hard in the ass by a 5 person lift... yeah, i think everyone got one of those stories.
I've seen people literally get run over and/or dragged by the lift, one kid dropped his snowboard off the lift, once a boot, more than a few times I've seen poles, hats, goggles, and gloves. The funniest has to be the poor little kid that rode the lift back down because he was too scared to get off and the lift operator wasn't paying enough attention to see that he just went around.

Alright, where you at? Come to MN and the lift's on me :)
Minnesota? Hey that's too far away, but I have a good friend at St. Olaf who is also an instructor and might actually take you up on that offer...

Feel free to ask any more questions. I love talkin about this.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright i am back.

When i snowboarded i used the snap in boots. Now i've heard both good and bad things about them, for example snow getting in, in your opinion, are they superior to the strap ins?

Now, i must confess something. Once i get to speed where the wind is rushing through my body, and i realize that any little bump or **** up will leave me hurting. I am scared. How do you control the fear when going this fast? I usually say to myself - "This is exactly why you cant offord to **** up. It will hurt"

When i do fall backwards/front what is the best way to land without killing yourself?

Jumping. I tried it, and everytime i ate snow. Even if im standing still and jumped up i will fall. Any tips on this to actually land it?

I actually considered asking for a snowboard for xmas, but decided ill just pay the $26 to go 4-5 more times this year before investing more.

Thanks for the kindly advice once again, appreciate it.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Snowboarding is my choice by far. I go to the terrain parks, where you can grind rails, do sick tricks and rip it in the half pipe. It is hella fun.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Snowboarding!

Way more fun, harder, cooler than skiing.

Don't be intimidated if it's hard at first. It is for everybody.
You need a year or two just to ride good not falling ;)