Snapping yourself out of a depressed state

StockTrader

Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you guys do to snap yourself out of a depressed and completely blah state of mind. Where you don't feel like meeting anyone or really having alot of fun.

I don't like being in that kind of state, but sometimes the harder you try to snap yourself out of it, the worst it gets.

Any advice?

Reaction score
1. Make new friends!

2. Do something you never did before!

3. Read a book or take a educational course and gain new knowlege!

4. Go to more 'social' functions!

5. Get a girlfriend!

6. Exercise 4 times a week!

7. Get a new look/style!

8. Help those in need and do volunteer work!

9. Get a different job!

10. I can't think of anything else - but I wanted to end with the number 10! :)

So pimp its scary

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Emotion is created by motion.

How do you look when you are depressed? I mean, what do you do with your body? Is it slack? Are you looking downward? I know your not bouncing off the wall, or else you COULDN'T be depressed.

Solution : When you are depressed and you want to change your state, then you just make some sort of deliberate and intense movement. You could jump up, clap your hands and throw a big grin on your face OR go for a walk, there are alot of things that you can do... but doing anything will help get rid of the depression, mostly cause you'll be too busy doing stuff to be thinking about how shytty stuff is.

dentalfloss

Don Juan
Reaction score
do something you love doing...your creative outlet
every day that i go into the basement and jam with my brother i rarely feel bad later

its really not about trying to get out of that state, beacause the second you decide youre TRYING...that leaves room for failure

you kind of just have to forget about being depressed, later you will be laughing and realize "i was feeling like sh!t a day ago...i really had no reason to!"

tigerkick

Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the time I am depressed is whenever it is dark, and gloomy outside or after it just rained. So I try to always be near light whenever I am depressed because it helps me psychologically.

This is why i do not like fall in winter where it gets dark most often outside.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diversion is the only way to cure depression, and anxiety.

Don't let the nasty thoughts enter your mind. Focus on an activity that will completly consume you, and make you forget about feeling bad.

After awhile, you stop thinking about depression, and forget why you were sad in the first place.

The key is to not even acknowldge that you don't feel well. Push it out of your mind.

This is more pointed towards real depression; not just having a bad day.

The Bad Ass Canadian

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Everyone else has already said it. Get up and DO SOMETHING. If you're depressed sitting at home watching TV, you're not going to be any WORSE getting out in the world and doing something. So why not? :)

Hit the gym. Does wonders for me.

wolfie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people cheer themselves up with gambling. We call them losers.
Some people cheer themselves up by shopping. We call them wimps.
Some people cheer themselves up by eating. We call them women.
Some people cheer themselves up by complaining to others. We call them whiners.

Some people cheer themselves up by training hard and intense. We call them MEN.

DJ Alejandro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
didn't u use NLP before? if so, u should try one now.

guess not. anyways, try going out and do something you KNOW you're good at. like maybe play some sports or actually hang out with your buds.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfie
Some people cheer themselves up by training hard and intense. We call them MEN.
I went and did some serious Mt. Biking last week-end. It kicked my @ss. As I drove home, I realized I felt better than I had in years. It was a serious high!

Go. Do something intense. Push your self to the limit. It'll make you feel great!

Genghis Juan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try to keep yourself moving forward. I think most people who get in a rut get stuck in the mud, and things just get worse and worse.

-Look for a new/better job
-Hit the gym at least 3 times a week. Ab workouts are my favorite. Nothing makes me feel better than looking at the mirror at toned/sculpted abs.
-Dress to kill when you go out.
-Do an emotional flush out, to get all the negativity out when you're alone. Feel the pain, come to terms with it, then let it all out.
-Definitely make new friends, that always makes me feel way better.
-Reading to acquire new knowledge is great, but only in moderation because its an introverted activity.
-Get the F out of your apartment/house.
-Don't think about girls for awhile. Sometimes, they just will drive you nuts.

Genghis Juan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BTW

Oh, one other thing,

remember that there are thousands and thousands of girls that are in the same boat as you!

Reaction score
Re: BTW

Originally posted by Genghis Juan
Oh, one other thing,

remember that there are thousands and thousands of girls that are in the same boat as you!
Genghis, what are you talking about? He never mentioned anything about being on a boat!! If there are thousands of women on it then it has to be a heck of a cruise ship and I don't think he would be so depressed if he was in this situation on a boat!!

Anyway StockTrader,

One more thing to add to my list, the last but not least. Seek spiritual development from within...to know and believe that there is something bigger than just your physical and mental well being is inspirational and uplifting and gives us hope that there other things more important than the present and our condition. This spiritual focus will always remain a part of you no matter the turmoil that lies within your heart and mind.

Spirituality has helped many who face depression. Their focus is outside of their physical self and into the spiritual realm.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Reto
I went and did some serious Mt. Biking last week-end. It kicked my @ss. As I drove home, I realized I felt better than I had in years. It was a serious high!

Go. Do something intense. Push your self to the limit. It'll make you feel great!
Yea, I went snowboarding. I mastered the bunny hill and felt so great racing with those little kids!! I felt so good, I went to the Peak.

Then I broke my phucking neck. YAY! I FEEL GREAT! ....oh wait, I can't feel anything anymore.:rolleyes:

yea, don't push yourself TOO hard. Running a few miles is good for me.

StockTrader

Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing that was getting me incredibly down was seeing my business ventures just not materializing and having a sense of almost being back at square one. Frustration reaching a level I've never felt before. All the Tony Robbins techniques, NLP, breathing techniques, meditation, reading a great book (Pyscho Cybernetics is fantastic), going out for a bike ride...basically every tip and technique I can think of just gets marginalized.

It's one of the pitfalls of being in business for yourself (perhaps you guys have experience in this area). Business and stock trading has been a tremendous focus of mine since I was 18 (I'm 25 now).

Enough of my little rant. How do you snap out of it.

Well, music is very powerful. I'm listening to some cool 80's songs right now.

I'm going to increase my workout routine this weekend.

For anyone else that's in a very frustrating position in their lives, here a few observations:

Have some sort of outlet where you can get it out of your system. Keeping it bottled in doesn't work.

Exercise, absolutely.

Above all....take a break if possible. I should have done this two months ago, lol.

Thanks for listening guys.

suavedave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
made my reservation

sit and experience it.