Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Smoking Bans

Maximus Rex

Banned
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about smoking bans? Me being a libertarian, I can't support them out of principal, but I am ambivalent towards them. As a cigar smoker I've been discriminated against because because I of the way I use tobacco. For some reason, business owners found it acceptable to tell me I couldn't smoke a cigar among other tobacco users. I planned on suing one day, then came the dreaded smoking ban.

On the one hand I felt it was poetic justice, but on the other hand who is the governement to tell a resturanteur, a club, or bar owner that they can't character to a certain clientale?

I will admit that back in the day things were the pendulum was in the other direction, being able to smoke in hospitals, flights, and stores was a little asburd. I personally wouldn't want to buy clothes that smelled like smoke. But not being able to smoke anywhere is as equally, if not more asburd. After all, tobacco is a LEGAL product. If it was really about saving lives, then states would ban the possession and sale of it. Then that would be an end to billions of dollars in tax revenue for local and state goverments.

The part that really kills me about smoking bans is the hyprocrisy of elected officials. Democracts the same people that fight dilligently for the right for fags to marry or 12 yrs old to get an abortion with parental consent or notification, tell two adults (a business owner and myself) that I can't smoke in his establishment and the owner can't carter to a smoking clientale. What kind of **** is that?

The Republicans are equally as bad. This is suppose to the party of business and less governement interefence, but their increasing the size of government by having to hire health inspectors to make sure people aren't smoking, and their telling guys how to run their operation.

The sad part of this is that it's based on psuedo-science. No one has ever died or contracted a diease from the effects of second-hand smoke. At worse it will only aggrevated a pre-existing medical condition. Just like living near a bus depot will aggrevated asmathics.

Unfortunately these bans slide through state legislators and city councils because smokers, cigar aficionados, pipe connoissuers, and business owners haven't put together a lobby to either kill the asinine legislation or demand a reasonable compromise. So we're partly the blame.

I'm personally offended that just because so-know-it-all decided he hates smokers, that he feels the need to force his own personal views on the choices I make. I'm personally offended by two guys being affectionate in public, but that doesn't mean that I think there should be laws against it.

The ulimate in hyprocrisy will be when some politican figures out he can generate revenue without raising taxes by issuing "smoking licenses." These licenses will probably require that businesses have a venhiliation system in all or the part of the building where smoking is allowed. When that happens, you'll see this smoking bans go faster than crack on the first of the month.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maximus Rex said:
The ulimate in hyprocrisy will be when some politican figures out he can generate revenue without raising taxes by issuing "smoking licenses." These licenses will probably require that businesses have a ventiliation system in all or the part of the building where smoking is allowed. When that happens, you'll see this smoking bans go faster than crack on the first of the month.
This is a good idea. Gov. is mostly a mix of money and keeping the people happy enough to re-elect you.

Where I live in WA we had a vote and passed it in the last election that smoking be not permitted indoors or within 25 feet of stores/public entrances. Personnally I think ciggaretts are gross. Cigars are nice somtimes and I could see how no smoking anywhere could piss people off. I think its great that you can't smoke in some places, but I think that you should be able to smoke in bars, etc. if there is ventilation.

PiHiPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a smoker, and thanks to the discovery of my Fake ID, an avid barhopper.

I don't like coming home from the clubs and bars in Michigan smelling completely like smoke. In Canada, there is a smoking ban of some sort with all the clubs in Windsor... after being out there for a night and not completely smelling of smoke, I was more in favor of the bans.

When you think about it, it's not that hard to walk outside for a square.

hitchcock1

Don Juan
Reaction score
i was against it in NYC at first because of similar things as Nocturnal said,
however bloomberg made a good point that people who work in bars shouldn't be forced to breathe smoke just because they work there. sure you might say that they don't NEED to work at a bar, but it's hard to make a decent dollar.

also personally speaking, i feel much better partying since i don't smell like an ashtray and i don't feel like i have a sore throat or cough in the morning.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dislike the bans because there were several "Cigar Bars" around here that were forced out of business when the smoking bans took effect. The whole purpose of those bars was to smoke cigars and have a ****tail.

HELLO!!! If you didn't want to smoke cigars, don't go to a place that is a CIGAR bar... especially when there are two other bars on the same block!!!!

I mean, smoking ban? Fine. But to shut down businesses that a SPECIFICALLY FOR smoking is "poor" (for lack of a better term).

The outlying communities are benefitting, however. All the smokers just flock to the establishments that border the city and still permit smoking. The downtown area is PISSED! There is a huge collection of bars that are seriously suffering.

Madison has been getting a lot of static from the uptights because it consistently ranks as a high, if not highest, binge-drinking college. This smoking ban has been heralded as being one way to deter the drinking.

Uh... no. In fact, there are MORE keggers now than ever because, well, smoking is allowed at keggers! Duh. Keggers are cheaper than bars and the uptights just gave college students one more reason to throw them.

So, chug-a-lug yo!

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hitchcock1 said:
i was against it in NYC at first because of similar things as Nocturnal said,
however bloomberg made a good point that people who work in bars shouldn't be forced to breathe smoke just because they work there. sure you might say that they don't NEED to work at a bar, but it's hard to make a decent dollar.

also personally speaking, i feel much better partying since i don't smell like an ashtray and i don't feel like i have a sore throat or cough in the morning.
That is a stupid point.

You use the expression "forced to breath" and "NEED to work". The point is bunk because noone "forced them to breath" or "forced them to work", just as noone "forced them to work at a smokey bar, where they knew they would NEED to breath". That "point" is just word manipulation and hype.

It's like saying that a worker in a steel mill or a foundry shouldn't be forced to be hot, a flight attendant shouldn't have to ride on an airplane, or a firefighter shouldn't have to go into burning buildings.

belividere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What has always bothered me is when a city with horrible air and water quality bans cigarettes and says they did because of how dangerous second hand smoke is. When drinking water has detectable levels of xanax and diesel trucks idle through the rush hour for hours every day on the highways of factory filled cities do you really think that the guy who is smoking next to you at a bar is going to give you cancer?

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
PiHiPlaya said:
I am a smoker, and thanks to the discovery of my Fake ID, an avid barhopper.

I don't like coming home from the clubs and bars in Michigan smelling completely like smoke. In Canada, there is a smoking ban of some sort with all the clubs in Windsor... after being out there for a night and not completely smelling of smoke, I was more in favor of the bans.

When you think about it, it's not that hard to walk outside for a square.
Only in the entire province of Ontario, no smoking in-door public and private. The rest of Canada I think is slightly different. I think you can't even smoke on the patio if there is a big umbrella covering the table. You are not allowed to smoke if you in driving (i.e a truck/transport driver), even if you are the only person in it most if not all the time.

mistyc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gee.. I'm glad the smoking bans are happening all over the world gradually. I just can't stand going in a bar full of smoke and coughing for the next 3 days and getting a bronchitis in winter just so I can hang out with buddies or try to PU girls in clubs.

You think it infringes upon your rights as an individual to be told not to smoke? Maybe you should stop smoking, that's a better use of your brainpower... :) Smoking is bad, and I'm glad it's slowly going away. I'm glad I can go to restaurants without dying, bars, clubs, malls, etc.

I support the bans whole-heartedly.

mistyc.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frankly I think businesses should have the choice whether they're smoking, or non-smoking. They can simply hang a sign that displays their policy.

The government telling businesses what they can and can't do is a little too strict in my opinion. Obviously restaurants shouldnt be allowed to sell machineguns and hold ****fights, but smoking isn't an illegal act. If you can smoke in your own home, why can't a business allow smoking?

By the same policy, it would be like telling companies they can't serve jews. After all, some people (ie. neo-Nazis) are offended by the presence of jews, just like some people are offended by the presence of smokers.

jackie_legs

Don Juan
Reaction score
im happy with no more smoking in restraunts thats cool.

cause to me it was annoying, plus cigs smell like crap anyways.

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's like when they first banned ephedrine, how many people were quite pissed. that stuff was the holy grail of losing weight. i ate pizza and god knows how much garbage with the comfort of knowing that the stuff really did zap fat. i lost 60 pounds with regardless of what i ate. leave it to the dumb facks to overdo it and die and now it is banned. how many people have used asprin as a method for suicide....lots and it's still not banned.

christopher reeves wife died of lung cancer...hmmmm she didn't smoke and she didn't hang with anybody who did. was it a cigarette? nope.

i'm not sticking up for my kind, because next friday i am going to quit smoking. it's not because of health problems...it's because i want a new guitar.

i love smoking and so do the people i hang out with. i remember the first time i quit and seen smokers freezing outside and i thought that just ain't right. when a law comes crashing down that smoking is banned and taxes are rasied.....remember the smokers who helped pay those taxes cause of cigarettes.

i'm gonna miss those little fellas. but i need the guitar