Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Smith machines

war_eagle

Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your takes on smith machines. I'm thinking about using one for squats because I don't have a spotter since I work out so early. Anyways, would I lose alot of size if I used a smith machine? Also how do you use them? Any feedback would be appreciated

Classic

Don Juan
Reaction score
I use the Smith machine for squats. I like it because it eases the pressure on my back. I add the weight I want, position the bar, unhook the locks, and squat. When I get done, I lock it back up with the hooks and wait for the next set.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've used them for squats and benching. They are safer for guys that don't have a spotter (training partner)

Frankly I think you can gain alot from it. While it doesn't completely work the stabilizer muscles as much, you can use more weight in a safer manner with the Smith machine.

Case in point, I bench more with the Smith. Part of that is because it is easier to lift since you aren't expending the energy in balancing. But even more so, I can comfortably put on more weight because of the added safety factor.

I recommend it, but I don't recommend it at the gym to people, because I like the fact that I'm one of the few that uses it!

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Smith Machine sucks. Unless you have a legitimate injury then go free weights.

If you don't have a spotter go a little lighter. Stop being afraid of the squat it's all in your head.

If you are feeling pressure in your back, either your form sucks or your erectors are weak, the only way you are going to solve that problem is by doing free squats and deadlifts.

Ricky, the reason you can bench and squat more is because the Smith machine has a counterweight, so the barbell feels like it weighs 15lbs. not 45 lbs.

Stop being pvssies and use free weights.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diesel, I agree, but in my numbers I account for the 15 lb bar.

Free weights are better, but I prefer using the Smith. I don't want to depend on someone spotting me at 6 in the morning when the only people in there are senior citizens and hardcore badasses like me.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ricky
Diesel, I agree, but in my numbers I account for the 15 lb bar.

Free weights are better, but I prefer using the Smith. I don't want to depend on someone spotting me at 6 in the morning when the only people in there are senior citizens and hardcore badasses like me.
Either use dumbbells or drop the weight - spotters are overrated. They end up doing a lot of the work.

By using the Smith machine you are cheating yourself because you can't really "bench" what you think you bench... and because the Smith machine isn't as challenging as free weights you are robbing yourself of gains and functional, raw strength.

D

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
The Smith Machine sucks. Unless you have a legitimate injury then go free weights.

If you don't have a spotter go a little lighter. Stop being afraid of the squat it's all in your head.

If you are feeling pressure in your back, either your form sucks or your erectors are weak, the only way you are going to solve that problem is by doing free squats and deadlifts.

Ricky, the reason you can bench and squat more is because the Smith machine has a counterweight, so the barbell feels like it weighs 15lbs. not 45 lbs.

Stop being pvssies and use free weights.

I've never really used anything called a smith machine, so I can't really critique it, but i do agree with what diesel said about free weights.

I always use free weights b/c i heard somewhere that free weights work both the ligaments and the muscles, whereas the machines work only the muscles without strengthing the ligaments hardly at all.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is a different in the level of intensity.

I've done some FEA work on joints and muscles. The level of stress may be slightly lower but there still is stress, it is an unavoidable mechanical stress state.

If you have a reliable spotter, by all means use free weights.

Exodus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
Hey Diesel, what are free squats ? just using the bar and squatting ? Also, while squatting I have trouble adding weight without compromising form; any tips ?

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Exodus
Hey Diesel, what are free squats ? just using the bar and squatting ? Also, while squatting I have trouble adding weight without compromising form; any tips ?
Free squats means no machine to help you. You use a squat rack for this. If you get to a weight where you cannot use proper form to squat then the weight is too heavy. Practice your form with lighter weights until you have it right; that is about the only thing you can do.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ricky
I don't want to depend on someone spotting me at 6 in the morning when the only people in there are senior citizens and hardcore badasses like me.
So badass he uses the Smith machine because he's afraid to squat.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well back pain is forever.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I get backpain when I squat too, but I still do freeweights. If you flex your abs your back doesnt hurt.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I overdid it one time, so I have been extra cautious since then.