Ok first off, if you haven't read Rico's post about smiling (here ) then I suggest you do so now. It's what helped me realize something today.
What was it that I realized? Well, I learned that a simple smile can go a long way. I had to go get gas and go skim for a few job applications today, so I read up on that post before I left. I'm trying to relax more and be more open, so I thought a little eye contact and smiling would be a good place to start.
First I went to Barne's and Noble (bookstore). I made my way to customer service and (after eye contact) flashed a smile at the pretty brunette behind the counter. She smiled warmly back and I asked her if they were hiring. She said yes, gave me an application and I went on my way. When I was going back to my car I saw an middle aged asian man and smiled at him as well. He smiled back and I walked back to my car whistling.
"That was easy" I thought. Next stop was circuit city. Customer service was empty there so I walked towards the black guy near the entrance. Eye contact again, I flashed my pearly whites and got a smile in return.After saying what's up, I started talking to him about a job. Not only did he give me a heads up about an application, but he also told me which position I should apply for (have the best chance at getting). After our brief chat I smiled, and made my way to another bookstore in the mall across the street.
As I entered the bookstore I caught the girl at the counter's eye and smiled at her. She smiled back and smoothed out her shirt. Even though she was in mid-convo with one of her co-workers, as soon as she saw me smile she turned slightly towards me and waited for me to approach the counter. Never missing a beat, I walked right up to her with a smile and chatted to her about an application. In less than 3 minutes I had her, the male co-worker and another female co-worker smiling as I left the place. Just from making small talk and smiling. Hell, when the girl at the counter said " have a nice day " I could hear the smile in her voice. I don't know how, but as soon as she said it I turned my head and said " you too " and sure enough, she had a grin plastered on her face. Ah, I walked out of that store with a spring in my step. Last stop, gas station.
I'll make this last one short and sweet. All 3 ladies in the gas station that I smiled at smiled back (2 customers, 1 employee) and one of the ladies even broke out into a full grin when she saw me smiling at her. It feels really good when you can make someone's face light up like that, it makes you want to smile even more.
) at least 5 people did smile back. So next time you are out in public, make sure to smile. It really does work wonders.
What was it that I realized? Well, I learned that a simple smile can go a long way. I had to go get gas and go skim for a few job applications today, so I read up on that post before I left. I'm trying to relax more and be more open, so I thought a little eye contact and smiling would be a good place to start.
First I went to Barne's and Noble (bookstore). I made my way to customer service and (after eye contact) flashed a smile at the pretty brunette behind the counter. She smiled warmly back and I asked her if they were hiring. She said yes, gave me an application and I went on my way. When I was going back to my car I saw an middle aged asian man and smiled at him as well. He smiled back and I walked back to my car whistling.
"That was easy" I thought. Next stop was circuit city. Customer service was empty there so I walked towards the black guy near the entrance. Eye contact again, I flashed my pearly whites and got a smile in return.After saying what's up, I started talking to him about a job. Not only did he give me a heads up about an application, but he also told me which position I should apply for (have the best chance at getting). After our brief chat I smiled, and made my way to another bookstore in the mall across the street.
As I entered the bookstore I caught the girl at the counter's eye and smiled at her. She smiled back and smoothed out her shirt. Even though she was in mid-convo with one of her co-workers, as soon as she saw me smile she turned slightly towards me and waited for me to approach the counter. Never missing a beat, I walked right up to her with a smile and chatted to her about an application. In less than 3 minutes I had her, the male co-worker and another female co-worker smiling as I left the place. Just from making small talk and smiling. Hell, when the girl at the counter said " have a nice day " I could hear the smile in her voice. I don't know how, but as soon as she said it I turned my head and said " you too " and sure enough, she had a grin plastered on her face. Ah, I walked out of that store with a spring in my step. Last stop, gas station.
I'll make this last one short and sweet. All 3 ladies in the gas station that I smiled at smiled back (2 customers, 1 employee) and one of the ladies even broke out into a full grin when she saw me smiling at her. It feels really good when you can make someone's face light up like that, it makes you want to smile even more.
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Well you don't realize how well and easy it is until you actually go out and give it a try. Not everyone will smile back at you (bad mood, general sour attitude, whatever) but at least in my situation, for every 1 person that didn't smile back ( or didn't even make eye contact, the ground must be a fascinating thingOriginally posted by Rico
The reason the smile is so effective is because you reflect goodness to someone. When someone smiles at you, you feel good about yourself, and in turn about that person. It gives you an emotional boost. When you start letting this happiness flow through you (even if you aren't particularly in a good mood), you will see how other people positively respond to it and you will be affected by their response just as much as they were affected by your smile.