Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Sleep apnea & difficulty losing weight.

Alicorn

Banned
Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed to have sleep apnea - I stop breathing 41 times an hour while I sleep. It gets even worse during REM sleep. The reason I went to the doctor in the first place is because I'm tried all the time and have difficulty losing weight.

By difficulty I mean this: I weigh 235 lbs, I eat 1200 calories a day and I do 2 hours of cardio/day 5 days a week. The fat should be flying off, but it's not.

Does anyone else have expericne with sleep apnea and it's effects on weight gain/loss.

The Edge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 hours of cardio a day???????5x's aweek
If this is true, your knees are heading to hell in a gasoline bucket. Cut it down dude. Shorter High intensity work outs intstead, max out at 30 mins per session.

Also watch what food groups make up a majority of your total caloric intake. Which sounds suspect. Are you sure you're only taking in 1200???? Unless you're over 6' 2" your body is probably crying blue murder with hunger pains.

Limit your carbs and cut them out slowly to about nil 4 hours before you go to bed.

Actually cut out carbs completely after 6 PM

Edge

Alicorn

Banned
Reaction score
I'll eat a lot of vegetables to make up for the volume of food. Like I'll eat a whole bowl of brussle sprouts or broccoli or if I'm not feeling the greens I'll eat corn. That's what keeps the hunger away.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alicorn

By difficulty I mean this: I weigh 235 lbs, I eat 1200 calories a day and I do 2 hours of cardio/day 5 days a week. The fat should be flying off, but it's not.
You are right, it will be very benefical to lose weight.
235 and what's your height? Try BMI calculation, which is abound in internet.
And you probably know that you'll have to figure out your body fat%.

It is very important what kind of food you eat. I give you an example: if you eat enough calories (optimum number) every day for your body (whatevet that amount is doesn't matter) and you drink 12 oz beer every day that has usually about 16 calories, then...in given that 1lb of fat =3500 calories, in one year you will have to be 16lb heavier.

This could be true, at least you will gain a bigger gut.

Now if you eat halp a cup of buckwheat (85g), it has 292 calories in it. So in one year you will be like 31lb heavier according to the calculation. But it is not going to happen at all. You will never gain anything even close to that numbers. The body not only adapts to the food, but it also process buckwheat very different from how it does beer.
Most fried foods, sugar, mayo, butter are processed by the body like beer or worse. Most fresh uncooked vegetables - like buckwheat.

You have to pay a lot of attention to your diet not only calory wise.

By the way, for how long have you been doing cardio and eating 1200 calories? You will also have to keep in mind some realistic numbers. If you have been doiung it for a couple of weeks - don't expect much.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll eat a lot of vegetables to make up for the volume of food. Like I'll eat a whole bowl of brussle sprouts or broccoli or if I'm not feeling the greens I'll eat corn. That's what keeps the hunger away.
I personally would not go for corn a lot. One cup (150g) has 132 calories, which is a lot if you want to lose weight.
So a) Cut on corn.
What dressing you eat with yoru veggie? Ranch or somehting like that? Cut it. Use something that does not have calories, ideally it is just lemon juice, salt, pepper, vinegar... this kind of stuff. No sugar! No those Ranch type dressing. No sweet sugar abound dressings.

What do you drink? Pop? Switch to diet kind.
Juice? Drink only not from concenrate kind and (!) dillute it with water 50/50. you will reduce the amount f sugar in it but it still tastes good.

Alicorn

Banned
Reaction score
Edit: I'm 5' 11"

Originally posted by al77
This could be true, at least you will gain a bigger gut.
My "gut" is actually something that is very frustrating to me. Last year I was at my lowest in a long time of 219lbs... I didn't look any different than I do now. Which actually brings me to my second frustration: I'll usually swing between ten and twenty or more pounds, back and forth. Last year I was going to the gym twice a day and got down to 219. Then the weight loss stopped when I stopped going twice a day.

By the way, for how long have you been doing cardio and eating 1200 calories? You will also have to keep in mind some realistic numbers. If you have been doiung it for a couple of weeks - don't expect much.
I've been doing it for about two months, but until last week I was only doing one hour of cardio a day. So you think I need to be doing it a lot longer? My goal is to lose 1-2lbs per week, but that hasn't been happening.

What dressing you eat with yoru veggie?
Pepper.

What do you drink?
Water mostly. Usually one cup of green tea a day, sometimes two if I'm sleepy. I can't stand the taste of "diet" sodas.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Edit: I'm 5' 11"
Last year I was at my lowest in a long time of 219lbs... I didn't look any different than I do now. Which actually brings me to my second frustration: I'll usually swing between ten and twenty or more pounds, back and forth. Last year I was going to the gym twice a day and got down to 219. Then the weight loss stopped when I stopped going twice a day.

I've been doing it for about two months, but until last week I was only doing one hour of cardio a day. So you think I need to be doing it a lot longer? My goal is to lose 1-2lbs per week

Water mostly. Usually one cup of green tea a day, sometimes two if I'm sleepy. I can't stand the taste of "diet" sodas.

From what you are saying, I got an impression your diet is good.
And your gym sessions seem more than enough.
I conclude you were right when you ask the question about not losing weight.

There are many factors could play here:
1. Your genetics: you might be quite muscular naturally (even if you are fat), have large bones. Muscles weigh a lot even if your bodyfat is low. Therefore...measure your bodyfat in order to know where you are now in terms of your normal, optimal weight.
Since you are concerned about it, I recommend to buy either a portable body fat measuring device ($10, seen in Sears recently) or scales that measures bodyfat ($30 in Aldi, usually more).
If you bodyfat is 20%, you sure have some room for improvement.
But if you bodyfat is lets say 16% (mine is about 16%, but I am 5'10'' and 160lb now - obvioslu genetically i am skinny with little muscles), you may not worry much.

2. Amount of calories spent per day. You seem doing very good in gym, but it is not enough (from yoru own words). How about other activity? Do you walk? I personally walk everywhere I can: I alway go upstairs even if I am going to thes 8th floor.
You have to start doing some "pleasure walks": go to a mall and walk for pleasure, from a store to a store...don't force yoruslef to walk fast. Just walk for pleasure, spend a couple of hours in one session. This should be easy: just go to stores you likes... and spend there a couple of fours.
If you don't walk and drive all day, you body simply don't have a chance to use calories you consumed.

3. Sugar and Meat. These are weight gainers. Sugar gives a taste to food and meat helps ganing wieght. Do you ice cream, cookies? cakes etc? Cut it off completely. Switch to fruits: pears, apples, (dried) apricots, etc.
I recommned eating chiken and fish. If you want to seriously lose weight eat only fish (not in oil, in fact - not oil at all).

4. If you go to bed early 10-11pm, than do not eat anything after 7pm. Can just drink tea, water etc. But eat a good breakfast: don't eat just cereal. This is no good. Eat a decent breakfast, it should be the biggest meal in the day.

5. Try apple cider vinegar (it cost nothing, $2 per galon I guess). (not white vingar or wine vingar, these Are a bit different).
It is used to normalize weight. Every other day add a small spoon of apple cider vinger to half a glass of juice. The other half should be water. You can simply add it to a full glass of water. Make sure it is only slight more acid, so you feel fine drinking this.
Again, a small spoon of vingar with water juice or just water every other day. At least for a month. It makes you feel less hungry.

6. Do you eat fried food? Junk fast food? Cut it off completely!
No fries, nothing.

7. I don't think you should increase you gym sessions. No. You have to review your lifestyle, according to guidelines I mention for example.

The Edge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, for the amount of calories you burn after your workouts and with the 1200 calories you eat, your stagnant weight has to be because you are genetically more musclar than the regular average joe. As stated above.

I really believe in keying in on cardio, but effectively. Just the fact that you are doing cardio for 2 hours says its low impact and not really effective.
You need to increase speed and key in on a higher heart rate during your workouts. Your body has been cruising on Neutral for a while and needs to go into shock.

Suicide drills(speed running back and forth within the lines on a bball court) might be the key. Experiment with it a little and see if it works.

Read more into High intensity workouts. See Dumerville who plays for the Louisville Cardinals. He is 6' 250 lbs. His coaches are in awe, cus of how relentless he is about diet and long cardio sessions. Yet each year he packs it on. 235 to 250 in a year.

Watch what happens at the combine. They will fix his diet and increase HIT and move him over to a free safety position.

Edge