Skydiving

iwanttofight

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have never been skydiving before and I really want to go. I looked up online and it is going to cost me $220 to skydive and $60 for the video. I really want the video because I think it will be funny watching myself jump out of an airplane and seeing my cheeks flap in the wind while I'm flying through the air at 120 mph. I think skydiving would be a good conversation starter.

So how was skydiving? Any recommendation's so I won't kill myself.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been wanting to. I plan on going Army and going Airborne. I want to make a hobby of doing thing that take a lot of courage to do.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive gone. Cost me 175 dollars. I think it was another 50 dollars for them to film it so I decided to pass on that. Not worth paying 50 dollars for a 10 minute film your only going to watch a couple of times.

It was definitely worth every penny. So many people talk about wanting to skydive but never do it because they cant take the initiative to go out and do anything new in their life. Its easier to just talk about wanting to do it. Dont be one of those people.

My advice is to make it a date if you can. Obviously make it clear well in advance she has to pay her way to save yourself from an expensive misunderstanding. It's pretty east to find a girl to go because its such an awesome thing to do. The first girl I asked immediately jumped on the idea and thought I was the coolest guy ever.

As for the killing yourself thing, in my state you cant just jump out of a plane by yourself...What your probably going to be doing is called a tandem jump and you are strapped to a trained tandem skydiver. He handles all the stress of pulling the chute while you just enjoy the free fall. I dont know if its the same for all states but id imagine it would be. To get your skydiving license and jump out of a plane by yourself takes hours of training and a couple thousand dollars. A tandem jump takes a 15 minute safety video and a couple hundred dollars. But like I said, it may vary from state to state. A little research should answer everything.

And yes, it did kind of suck having to get strapped to a grown man in order to skydive but who cares, you can always leave that part out when your telling the story

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is worth every cent. The video was too. Tie your shoes tight, lace them up higher if you want (funny story about that..incident). Arch your body in a "U" or do what the adrenaline-laden camera man told me and just "let physics take over." When you are preparing to land, tuck your knees as high in to your chest/chin as you can get them, or do like me and slide across the ground face first lol.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The first time I went, I did it on a whim; just woke up one sunday morning and thought, "Time to go skydiving."

Don't make the mistake I made and wear sandals, I had to tie them on with rubber bands but they almost fell off anyway.

When I was in the Marine Corps, there was a time that they came to our company looking for volunteers for a special MOS. Well, the first thing you learn in any branch of the service is: don't volunteer for ****, so I passed. But it turned out the job was to jump out of planes over Afghanistan with the crates of food for the civilians, then protect the crates on the ground until the ground forces showed up to relieve you and organize the supplies.

What a bad*** job that would have been, my only regret from my years in the USMC is not taking it.

iwanttofight

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How nervous were you before you jumped? I know in the military they do halo jumps which is soo high that you are actually above the clouds. You have to wear breathing equipment. One guy I know did a halo jump and blew both of huis knees out when he landed. He was jacked up from it. Does the landing hurt in a normal skydive jump?

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iwanttofight said:
How nervous were you before you jumped? I know in the military they do halo jumps which is soo high that you are actually above the clouds. You have to wear breathing equipment. One guy I know did a halo jump and blew both of huis knees out when he landed. He was jacked up from it. Does the landing hurt in a normal skydive jump?
No. The landing technique isn't hard to grasp; as you are getting closer to the ground, you zig-zag to create drag against the chute and slow yourself down. Then, when you are about to hit the ground, you cut back hard with the wind so you slide across the ground instead of hitting it straight-on. You hold your legs straight out in front of you, like you're doing a leg raise, so they don't get tangled up underneath you when you land.

But, I will add that you want to have a light wind blowing when you jump, because it's cutting into that wind that slows you down at low altitude. When there's no wind, you drop like a rock and it's trickier to slow down. But your first couple jumps will be with an experienced professional and all you have to do is follow his instructions. I hated tandem jumping, being strapped to that dude in midair was somewhat strange; but it's still an absolute blast when you are in freefall, plummeting towards the earth at 200 mph.

The first time I went, I didn't get any nerves until we were taking off with 5 guys crammed inside a tiny single engine Cessna; that's when it gets real. "Holy **** I'm about to jump out of this airplane, here goes."

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could be a fun thing to do. It would be hard jumping off the plane though. :cool: