Skinny people live longest?

The_Mole

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i just read in popular mechanics that skinny people have the longest life expectancy

if u want to read the article, get the recent PM with the special about the XM8 rifle

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is true. More of a hunch that was backed up by some research into calorie restrictive diets. Extending life expectancy by a third.

I suspect this is partly due to the action of oxygen and free radicals on the body.

However, genetics have a huge influence on longevity followed by lifestyle.

There is a lot of research into enzymes in the body that 'turn off' aging.

Having said that I'd prefer to die at 65 not having to feel hungry all the time and having an active lifestyle. No point living to 110 and not living well.

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
short people usually live longer than tall people, how often do you see a senior citizen age 75 or older thats over 6 ft 5"?

most pro basketball players never live past their early 70's

I noticed the oldest people are usually short people...

taller people seem to have more health problems?

you will never see a 100 year old man that is over 6 feet in height

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Polo,

Bare in mind that average heights are going up an inch every 30 years, so 5'7" was probably the average in 1940

Also the general population stock has only just recovered from the world wars. Think about it, a huge percentage of the fittest men died in both the first and second world war. That was the stock for future generations.

And amusingly in some ways, it was discovered that more short people survived the wars because they were less likely to be hit when they 'went over the top'.

These factors coupled with nutrition mean that an old tall man in 2050 might be 6'5"

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I guess that anorexics are the fittest people around. :rolleyes:

Come on, it's not about how thin you are, it's about living a healthy lifestyle. People who do tend to be thinner than most however being skinny isn't the best thing if you aren't getting the proper nutrients that your body needs.

Living a balanced lifestyle of eating a balanced variety of foods, being active, not smoking and limiting stress leads to life longevity.

Last edited:

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too after I started to eat for bodybuilding seriously..
I wonder that does my body get overworked since the only time my stomach has piece is at night. Otherwise it's constant chopping food to nutrients... around 6 times a day. Poor fella!

*new*

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
longetivity is affected by many many factors; however, keeping everything else constant, a calorie restricted diet has been proven to increase life expectancy. On mice for example, calorie restriction is shown to increase life span by as much as 30%.
i think, this is quite straightforward. less food = less wear and tear.(again keeping anything else constant, a happy overweight person might overlast a stressed skinny fella)

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This arguments a waste of time anyway, your statistically going to die in a car crash or (especially if you live in the states) shot by a family member. :(

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
endurance runners who live in open country, and eat highly nutritious meals, are hardly stressed, dont consume poisonus substances, and dont spend there days on the internet live longest.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke Togo
endurance runners who live in open country, and eat highly nutritious meals, are hardly stressed, dont consume poisonus substances, and dont spend there days on the internet live longest.
You've never heard of Jim Fixx have you?

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
most people that live long lives were never atheletic, I think genetics has a lot to do with your lifespan, if you have a family history of long life then it is more likely you will live a long life.

I heard marathon running actually puts wear & tear on your body?
from all the poundage or high impact on your joints over time?

I think exersize in moderation and a healthy diet is better for your body, it's not good to over stress your body.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When top-level competitors stop competing their body goes to crap. They go off their special diet and go back to the average diet. Thats why they're seen to get a little fat. If anything, having a bit of a gut is more healthy than having a six pack anyway.

Yeah, skinny people who eat bugger all live a lot longer. Personally, I find it to be quality of life, over quantity of life.

Then again, that being said, I bet a good few people registered on this board have/are going to die in some kind of horrifically painful accident in the next 50 years.

So dont mind me while I go enjoy a nice big steak followed up by a huge cream cake.. hey, y'never know ;)

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen
Then again, that being said, I bet a good few people registered on this board have/are going to die in some kind of horrifically painful accident in the next 50 years.
Somehow this brings a huge grin on my face I don't know why.
Maybe it's just after-gym feeling...

Have you ever wondered if some forum member has died and therefore don't show up anymore. Like many guys who suddenly stop coming and don't come back.. :D

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if anyone saw that basejumping MPEG someone put up, it just shows the other extreme to long life exponents.

The theory is, the closer to death you feel the more you actually live.

Like the person who finds out they only have 6 months to live and does all the things they wanted to in life in that 6 months, while the rest live to 80 years and never do a fraction of it.

There are only so many tomorrows.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about bulking if you aren't touching any roids as long as you are living positively, healthy, don't smoke and drink too much and reduce some risk factors in your life...

Of course everything taken to extream is bad.
That's why the top athletes suffer from many nasty things since the human body isn't made for extremes.

And I doubt most of guys here are going to bulk all their life.
When the needed gains are achieved and you get not so much external pressures to be big as you get old, you just convert bulking to normal health care like keeping up your fitness and eating healthy, which isn't bad.

For example, yesterday I ate 295g protein, 505g carbs, 106,8 fat, 4320 cal.. all healthy foods.
That's even too much for even bulking, but I'm not going to eat like that every day till the rest of my life (thinking I'm lucky to live old).

Think about those guys in the early 1900. They worked hard as hell and they got muscles because of it. But still many of even those who used to be big are still alive.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered if some forum member has died and therefore don't show up anymore. Like many guys who suddenly stop coming and don't come back.. :D

Haha, I think about that quite a lot when I go back to a forum I havnt seen in a while.. I always assume people have died, for some reason, and thats why they arent there anymore :D

Despite all my knowledge of BB'ing I think I'm gonna give it up. My joints were never good to begin with, and my doctor always advised me not to weight train. Now my elbows and shoulders are giving me a lot of problems, so it's back to bodyweight training for me. Maybe I'll go for a gymnast style workout, if my joints are up for that either.

"Think about those guys in the early 1900. They worked hard as hell and they got muscles because of it. But still many of even those who used to be big are still alive."

Yep. and as was already said, a lot of the genetically gifted people got slaughtered in WWI/II. I should imagine they'd have lived for a hell of a long time too.