Should I Shave My Head?

Sargeholic

Don Juan
Reaction score
Deciding if I want to chrome dome it...I am 25 with some pretty significant MPB on the crown of my head (not visible in pics) and some fairly badly receding temples. I still have a thick hairline, though it is pretty noticeably receded. These pics actually make it look pretty good. MPB is BAD in my family, even my mom's sisters are significantly bald!

My photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlizard2004/album?.dir=/2668

I would first buzz it, then shave it off if I liked it...then maybe toss in a soul patch or some other creative facial hair. You also may not be able to see that I am 6'4" (which helps with the bad-ass look) but am of average build. Not skinny, nor jacked. My look I would be going for would be more of an artistic bald, rather than a cage fighter bald.

Does the look suit me, or am I better off staying the course with Propecia and some creative combing? I would like some immediate advice, I am considering buying the clippers and loading up on the new five blade (FIVE BLADE!) razors tomorrow and taking what may be a life long plunge.

Spookey

Don Juan
Reaction score
go shaved.
shaved is neat, controlled and tough. its got none of the "im so vain i put 20 litres of ****e in my hair a day" aura about it and whats more, its fun getting random chicks to rub your head :D it feels great and they get a kick out of it

djjoe

Don Juan
Reaction score
stay away from any "creative combing"....

you can`t cheat chicks about that...
they are actually much better than the average guy in figuring out those things...

go for it, shave your head...
it`s honest, it`s like saying: "this fits me best, and i don`t even care about if you might like it"....

best way to go....

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definately rock the shaved styles.

A buddy of mine was basically begging me to do it last year. Then, this year, my mother got breast cancer and lost her hair doing chemo.... after hearing it was the latest fall fashion, I did it too.

Dude, you are going to freak out the first time a cold hand hits your freshly shaved melon! It's like someone is rubbing an ice cube on your brain!

Anyway, definitely take a couple sessions in a tanning bed: there will be no tan under that hair and it's scary looking contrast.

Also, I went for a crazy "Van Dyke" or "Muskateer" ("english" plus "royale" mustache/goatee set) mustache also. I even use mustache wax! I've found that it gets sooo many stares it's like peacocking all the time! Mad EC just from the unique look - easy "ins". I tell everyone that I look like the circus strong man from cartoons.

But you can't be wishy washy about whatever you do - you gotta act like it was always there and rock it hard 'cuz it's awesome!

Tomatoes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sargeholic
Deciding if I want to chrome dome it...I am 25 with some pretty significant MPB on the crown of my head (not visible in pics) and some fairly badly receding temples. I still have a thick hairline, though it is pretty noticeably receded. These pics actually make it look pretty good. MPB is BAD in my family, even my mom's sisters are significantly bald!

My photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlizard2004/album?.dir=/2668

I would first buzz it, then shave it off if I liked it...then maybe toss in a soul patch or some other creative facial hair. You also may not be able to see that I am 6'4" (which helps with the bad-ass look) but am of average build. Not skinny, nor jacked. My look I would be going for would be more of an artistic bald, rather than a cage fighter bald.

Does the look suit me, or am I better off staying the course with Propecia and some creative combing? I would like some immediate advice, I am considering buying the clippers and loading up on the new five blade (FIVE BLADE!) razors tomorrow and taking what may be a life long plunge.

I dont think it would suit you to be fair mate. I dont think you should shave it off....

gimmeyofonenumba

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nah..dont shave it, you have good hair man.You'll shave it and think it looks cool for a few weeks...then you'll change your mind in grow it back.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Originally posted by NeonBase
shave your head then tan your head a bit.. I think the look would suit you well..

This is right. I've been bald for close to 7 years and agree with the kid here about the tanning part. It looks more natural and it will definitely garner attention from the hotties of the world. Mine does.

uzio

Don Juan
Reaction score
Being shaved rocks :>

Altho the need to shave every two days is kind of a setback :/

Altho there is one thing to it - you need the "mafia hitman" face to pull it off most succesfully. Alas IMHO.

Also - very skinny guys don't look well with a shaved head.

Warlord

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your ears will stick out more, you'll look goofy! Don't shave, you seem fine as it is. Too bad about you "balding" maybe you can pick up some rogaine.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To be realistic, his hair isn't that long. So, I say again, go for it. Try it for a few weeks. If you find out it isn't working for you, it will only take a little while for it to grow back.

Sargeholic

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone...still trying to decide. My forehead is so high that it is pretty easy for me to envision myself bald...I did a little test last night by putting my hands over my hair and pulling it back as far as I could...looked pretty good, I thought.

You are right about attracting certain types...right now I always attract one specific type (a little older, professional, relationship oriented, tall, liberal, tends to have a party girl past but is settling down now).

This type isn't a bad thing, and in many ways is a case of like attracting like. However, I could use a change of pace, and maybe a change of look (I have had the same hair since 2nd grade, minus the recent balding). New bait could catch new fish.

killbill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
shave the top but keep the sides.

OfficeSpace

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man your hair isn't that long as we can see in your pics.. I think you could always try trimming it really short like a buzz.. and if that looks good then go ahead and shave it.. if it doesn't fit you (I think it will fit you) then it'll only take a short while to grow it back.. honestly I think your hair is fine the way it is.. but it's always nice to try something new.. and the bald look is nice and neat..

Sargeholic

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I did it, and I am honestly thrilled with the outcome. Its a new look, and I had the same haircut more or less for 20 years. I did some sunless tanner on the scalp and then did a general tanning session and it makes it look loads better. I think it suits me well, and I was happy that my head had no weird bumps or grooves.

Not sure if its forever, but it beats all the gel, concealer, and creative combing I was doing (or just having a receding hairline and a massive bald crown at 25.