Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Should I keep going for a master?

SayWhat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all

Currently I'm 27 years old and have a bachelor diploma. I'm currently studying for a master in Law, but still have about 3 years to go. This would be without any real income beside from my waiter job in the weekends. Thus I would be earning money when I'm 30.

This, of course, is really late in life and I am wondering if I could get the increased pay from a master still out of it if I keep studying for three more years or just start working now and make a career with just the bachelor diploma.

To be honest, I want the master just for the money, I do like the stuff I'm learning, but I guess not enough. But I do want a carefree life where I don't have to worry when the next bill will come. Are there people in companies with a bachelor diploma who earn more than others with a master diploma?

What to do?

Moroder

Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it's very hard for most people to downgrade their standard of living once they've been above students' level. If you've been working for 3-5 years, making decent money, driving a car etc., you will be hard pressed to renounce and go back to school with pretty much zero income. Also, once you're in your 30s, family may be an issue. I know some people who are stranded in their jobs and bored to death, but they've got their house and spouse and kids to pay for, no chance of going back to school.

So unless you're positive that you'll go back to the student life with no problem whatsoever, I'd advise you to stick to it and get that MA. You may also want to re-evaulate if you're a law major guy or if you can do a hybrid thing (law/finances or whatever). If you have to keep doing it till 70, you want to make sure you like it. ;-)

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Present Obama is pushing community college to be free for the first two years for students with a GPA higher than 2.5

An associate degree is pretty much useless if it wasn't before. Now it's on the same level as a high school diploma.

Getting a Master's would be beneficial and it will look good on your resume. However, networking and connecting with the right people will put you out there further than anything else. Learn how to do your job from first hand experience rather than learning it from textbooks. That being said, also do internships as soon as possible.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
SayWhat,

- What is the Bachelor's degree in?

- What is the point of getting a Master's Degree in Law, and what is a Master's Degree in Law? Are you referring to a JD? Are you going to sit for the Bar?

Unless you are at a Top Law School to be recruited into a good Law Firm, I think Law is a waste of time and money. You need to use the Bachelor's Degree you already have to try and get to $40k - $50k a year in income. Once you reach that level, then you can try to find an Employer that will pay for a Master's Degree in exchange for you working there for 5-7 years along with a promotion to the $60k plus a year level.

SayWhat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The bachelor is in law too. I don't live in the US and I think our educational system is a bit different but I guess you can best describe it that I currently am a paralegal. University studying is also quite cheap here (about 900 dollars I think when calculated to your currency for one academic year (without books)).

I don't see the point of studying for 3 (or even more) years without income. I think I will never see the benefit of the increased pay due to the masters diploma (unless I'm a really good lawyer or other employee in the law sector)...