Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Short-term vs. Long-term mating strategy? Where does true confidence come from?

MrJibbles

Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard Tyler Durden talk about the importance of "state" when sexually attracting women. A man can either utilize short-term mating strategy or long-term mating strategy.

In the second option, a man gains his confidence from "crutches". He will ask himself questions like "Do I have enough money to attract women? Are my job and social standing respectable enough to get a good woman? Is my car good enough to get women?" In other words, he looks at what material resources he possesses to assess if he has enough going on his life to attract women, in general, over a long-period of time.

In short-term mating strategy, however, one's material possessions are not used to attract women. Instead, his psychological state and "core" confidence are solely used to attract women. He focuses on getting laid, and disregards how society perceives him, instead relying on pure social skills to get women instead of the confidence he gets from how nice his apartment is, what kind of car he drives, etc.

Tyler gives an example of his coworker, another RSD instructor, who hadn't showered in weeks and was living an unhealthy party lifestyle, but was so focused and in state that it didn't matter to him. He was employing short-term mating strategy, gaining confidence from himself and himself alone, and pulled tons of women during that period. Later, Tyler describes how this same guy, later, finally got his sh** together, cleaned himself up, and started focusing on his job more. But at this point, even though he outwardly appeared to be in a better state to get women, the fact that his life was now more respectable did not give him more confidence. On the contrary, the guy complained how he was having a hard time getting girls and just wasn't feeling it. He seemed to have lost the mental state of "short-term mating strategy" and was now relying on a long-term state to gain his confidence.

Right now, I do not have enough crutches in my life to be confident enough with girls, with regards to long-term strategy. I am broke. I do not have a job. I am not going to school. I do not have a car. I am living at my aunt's house.

I know what many of you are thinking. "Why don't you get a job then? Make some money, and get a car. Focus on getting your sh** together, instead of focusing on girls." Well I am trying to get my life back together, but this will take time. I wouldn't mind trying to get laid in the process, on the side. In addition, I could go to university, graduate, get a decent job, but, at the end of the day, what good is it if I'm still a socially-awkward guy who can't relate to women or get laid? Is hiding underneath a veneer of social "respectability" while avoiding sex really going to help me get girls in the long-term if I don't address the core issue?

This all being said, I am sure I am not the only guy out there who is not living independently or not working. There are plenty of unemployed guys or dudes living with their parents who still pull. Ever been to that website, hotchickswithdouchebags? These guys are self-deluded losers, but still have confidence.

It comes down to excuses:

"I don't have a car. Girls don't want a guy who doesn't have a car. Especially living in the suburbs, it's not cool to not have a car. I should get a car, THEN the b*tches will come to me."

"I'm living with my aunt. Girls don't want a guy who still lives with his family. I should move out, THEN the b*tches will come to me."

"I don't have that much money. Girls like rich guys. I should go out and make a ton of cash, THEN the b*tches will come to me."

Sure, lacking these things will make it harder to get women, but they are not excuses to exclude the possibility of getting a girlfriend all together.

So the question is, how can I stop depending on my material possessions and social standing to gain confidence with girls? What steps are necessary to take to tap into my primordial, animal instinct and let "nature" take its course spontaneously? Tapping into the "potential resources that I could offer a female, from an evolutionary perspective, in exchange for sexual relations", or what have you, will not really help my confidence, I feel.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you are mixing two different things right before they should mix each other.

First comes what you are and the direction you are going to, either becoming a rich businessman or an adventorous traveller whatever, an other field is what you are doing with women.
This two fields mix once the first one has a base and as a big planet has a gravity strong enough to attract the second.

Right now YOU are nothing well defined, you are somehow a ship moved from the winds instead of the sails, a ship like that cannot carry goods of any type.
Once you will be a certain kind of ship, you will carry goods according to that.

A strong slow secure ships carry metals and large groups of people who travel comfortably, it takes time to travel and needs great maintenance but as said is safe.
(Think of it as a businessman working as regional chief of a corporation)

A easy manouvering fast ship is more likely to carry food or expensive spices or other goods that have to be consumed fast, it can also carry some people who do not carry about safety but want to move fast.
(Think of it as a guy trying to get a position or accomplish something that is potentially dangerous but will reward it so much).

I provided only two examples but Im sure you got the point, once you decided WHO YOU ARE and you become it, the quantity and quality of girls and relationships will come after it.

A rich ceo and a knows disk jockey are not so likely to meet the same girls and engage in the same mating habits, sure the ceo will get some ons in the way but to maintain his life style he needs some balance and a party girl cannot provide him with that nor she can support him at home.
The disk jockey lives in an everlasting party and hardly he will get a long term with a house wife who waits for him every night of the week.

You see what I mean? first it comes you, women are a direct conseguence of it.

Of course if you are a nerd who spend all his day play warcraft you are close to nothing so you will get close to nothing, to return to the plantes comparison, he is like one of those gas masses with no gravity.

Zerro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrJibbles said:
"I don't have a car. Girls don't want a guy who doesn't have a car. Especially living in the suburbs, it's not cool to not have a car. I should get a car, THEN the b*tches will come to me."

"I'm living with my aunt. Girls don't want a guy who still lives with his family. I should move out, THEN the b*tches will come to me."
Actually it appears to me that chicks care more about the lack of a car than you living at home. The later can be worked around, but lacking a ride is a big deal as then they have to do all the driving and ferry you around. All that matters is that you have a car that's not a total piece of ****, if it's past and/or luxurious that's just a bonus.

Now this might be the opposite issue in the city where they don't drive themselves and expect you to live in an apartment with 2 or 3 roommates like they do. That **** ain't for me so I stick to the suburbs.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrJibbles said:
I know what many of you are thinking. "Why don't you get a job then? Make some money, and get a car. Focus on getting your sh** together, instead of focusing on girls." Well I am trying to get my life back together, but this will take time. I wouldn't mind trying to get laid in the process, on the side. In addition, I could go to university, graduate, get a decent job, but, at the end of the day, what good is it if I'm still a socially-awkward guy who can't relate to women or get laid?
Well, I tend to agree with you that there's no reason you can't work on your social skills (including women) along with your other problems. On the other hand, if you're drowning, you focus on saving yourself, not on taking in the social scene.

But you're still young, so you have time on your side. I would definitely do something to try to get your career moving. But the advantage you have while unemployed is time, and energy. Time and energy that isn't being used on making a living. You might be able to use some of that to get better with girls, but your main focus should still be your career, whatever that might entail.

Mistic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
True confidence comes from experience and success. If you nail 100 chicks and 100 say you are amazing, you will have confidence with #101. Get it.