Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Shifting Problem?

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I drive a 5 speed.

Anyways, the shifting was fine until today.

When I'm DOWNSHIFTING from 4th to 3rd, or 2nd to 1st (5 times more common 2 to 1), and I'm just going to use the 2->1 shift as the example, but at 30k/hr, I downshift, and I feel this spinning/vibration as the clutch is down, almost like something spun UP, but the shift performs in normal time.

I'm guessing something's up with the sync possibly?

Stuntmann

Banned
Reaction score
No clue, cuz I don't understand you.

You can adjust clutch by pulling the pedal up by hand as parked. Or for more precise instructions read car manual. If it's stang. I really have no idea what you mean thought. Car forums might be better.

AlexTheGreat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
well you do know how shifting works right? Like, when you're downshifting, you're increasing the engine rotation RPM. So is it possible that your "something that spun up" would be your engine?

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Duh....I thought it was my foot going up your ass for a stupid comment. I might be wrong though.
I'm not vehicle retarded.

AlexTheGreat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
well can you give some more details then? your description of the problem doesn't really explain what's happening.

does the vibration come when you actually downshift or only when you depress the clutch (put your foot down)?
does it happen only when you push the shifter into the next gear position? then it could be your synchros that are done, or your shifter bushings that have loosened up and the shift linkage isn't aligned properly anymore.

you must give us more details to receive more help.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh, I have found someone knowledgable :D

Alright. I'll put my foot down, and I'll shift into either of the situations described above (4->3, or 2->1)

Sometimes (I think it's due to the speed I'm at before I even started), I cal feel a vibration. It's small, it goes away really quickly, and from the feel and the little sound, something wound itself up and back down again. No issue with the shift, no hesitation...

I think I'm just going crazy, but that's about the best I can describe it. It's the only times it happens.

sexy_kuta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HandyAndy said:
get an automatic
or u can grow balls and learn how to drive:confused:

Stuntmann

Banned
Reaction score
Vibration in engine/tranny, or is it the rear end?

Engine/tranny only has two things that would vibrate, flywheel, or the clutch. Clutch could be getting old, or flywheel needs machined. It don't sound like something inside tranny.

If you used to down shifting without rev matching, this is probably clutch, or flywheel, or both. Rev matching is necessary to safe the clutch and keep your engine from unnecessary stress. Also helps traction while taking fast corners and down shifting. I go as far as heal-toe while driving on the street, helps me drive smooth and always be in gear for proper torque to own people.

You just going to have to give it to mechanic, or do it yourself. At this time give a thought about lighter flywheel.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7024854456325722769
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1871271552475338647

MrMike

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like you're just hearing the winding up of the synchros, and your mind is making you think its a vibration.

Any time you have to down shift, the synchros have to spin up real fast so you can mesh the gears.

If it really is a vibration, the synchros might be chattering? I dunno if they can even do that. Could also be that the dog gear isn't sync'd entirely, and so when you get it in gear, there's a little vibration as the gears mesh.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I feel the vibration though the clutch and my shifter, so tranny areaish I guess.

Ever since the problem surfaced, I switched from clutching on shifts to clutchless for the most part. I should be looking at the clutch come Christmas anyways.

Thanks for helping.