Sharp pain in forearms while doing curls!

NickSCFC2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically been training for a year now, but everytime I work on biceps I get a sharp pain down the outside of my forarms (outside being level with my little finger, not my thumb).

Anyone had this before and have suggestions to get around it, I can't find any exercises that can work that muscle that's causing me pain either.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i used to get this a lot when i did too much direct arm work, esp. preacher curls & curl machines (this was highly ineffective over the long haul). do you have this problem when doing pull ups, pull downs or rows? (all of which give your arms plenty of attention)

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NickSCFC2000 said:
Basically been training for a year now, but everytime I work on biceps I get a sharp pain down the outside of my forarms (outside being level with my little finger, not my thumb).

Anyone had this before and have suggestions to get around it, I can't find any exercises that can work that muscle that's causing me pain either.
I suppose you are using a straight bar. Try an ez bar for barbell curls, it should solve the problem.

If it still hurts, try some wrist stretches (don't overdo it!).

If it still hurts, forget about the exercise: dumbbell work & heavy chin-ups/pull-ups/rows will grow you a solid pair of arms.

Good luck.

-Mehdi.

ramesses

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's tendonitus I used to get it when i did weights. Theres different kinds of tendonitis but the kind I had sounds similar to what you have because i used to do loads of curls it was like a shooting pain down the outside of my forearm, it felt like it was the under side of the bone which I would feel still for days after exercising.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/tendonitis-fact-sheet.html

Just means you need some rest away from exercise.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ramesses said:
It's tendonitus I used to get it when i did weights. Theres different kinds of tendonitis but the kind I had sounds similar to what you have because i used to do loads of curls it was like a shooting pain down the outside of my forearm, it felt like it was the under side of the bone which I would feel still for days after exercising.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/tendonitis-fact-sheet.html

Just means you need some rest away from exercise.
If he feels pain even when not working out, it could be tendinitis.

If not, try the ez-bar for curls.

-Mehdi.