Serious question: Is marriage worth it?

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the input

I appreciate the input. And yes, I have read nomarriage.com a few times so no reason to jump on s-smooth for posting it. The author of that site is a bit bitter but not without several valid points.

I think my point is being older (40ish) and never having been married, there is a tremendous amount of pressure to get hitched, and I've been feeling it. You always get smart-ass comments, usually from unhappily married people who want you to join their parade of torture. You would not believe the bias against happy, single people.

I have realized that a lot of my desire to get married is because of this societal pressure and my age. Like my best friend says, marriage is not the panacea to problems.

I continue to be the best DJ I can be and try to ignore all the comments coming my way, but at times its tough. People assume you have a problem, your gay, or arrogant. I'm none of those -- just a confident DJ who has never been married. If it wasn't for this board I'd think I was the only one out there.

Reaction score
Well man you got to think also as you get oldder, the few decent women that are left are going to be thinking the same thing and attaching themselves to any decent guy out there so she can get married. If you wait to long you will be left with some wacko, wait its doesnt matter all women are ****ed up. Man just be something like common law. Like really our worlds divorce rate is what 60 perecent now and out of that last 40 percent only maybe 5 to 10 percent tops of the people are happy. And also man if your in any kind of business or job having a wife and a family also takes away from that.
But is it really worth it, i dont think it really is, but maybe one day if im in a relationship with a girl thats not that ****ed up and i actually like her i might consider it.

But also as you get oldder it is more social excepted, Man not being married people will think your some durty old man that has someting wrong with him. lol.

elvis aint dead yet

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I assume as you grow into your 40's, you have more to choose from, but also a lot less.

I'm only around 30 and most 20 year olds annoy me. Yes many are still hot and young, but just annoying after a week or two.

So i can imagine the older you get, the harder it becomes to develoop a relationship.

There are many bitter male hating women in their 30's and 40's.

And for anybody that thinks marriage is the be all end all to life, it isn't.

It takes far more work then ever imagined. And it takes listening, caring, responsibility, and compromising by both parties.

Nobody ever said life was easy, and nobody should claim marriage is either.

I know what this 40 year old guy is talking about though.

I have an older cousin, almost 40, who is still single, by choice. I remeber him telling me about being asked if he was gay, what's wrong with him, blah blah blah. By both men and women at his place of employment and etc.

As i said, don't just get married to get married, but don't not get married because some guy who wrote a book tells you not to either.

Just cause he's a guy, does not mean his word is golden.

There are plenty of people who have been married that remain happy.

THe thing is, if you become one of those bitter men into older age, you lose the ability to talk to others about common interests.

They have children and their lives revolve around children and family. Then their children grow up and they have grandchildren, etc etc etc.

So your conversation starts about some hot chic you dated saturday night or so on and then they go on to talk to somebody else.

Hey nothing is easy, but do NOT GET MARRIED cause you think that'll make your life easier, and sure as hell don't brush off a great girl cause she's interested in marriage and you keep thinking SINGLE LIFE is easy.

Nothing is easy.

Being SINGLE and 40 isn't easy.
Being Married and 40 is'nt easy.

Listen to yourself.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bp1974
I think a good LTR with someone is a fantastic thing, even kids too someday. But with the change in divorce laws favouring the woman so highly, and the divroce rate steadily climbing, I don't think giving the government a say in how I run my relationships and spend my money is a good move.

Marriage now more than ever is a financial, legally binding contract designed to protect the woman's and children's financial security in the event of divorce. To me, it has lost all other meanings.

All the other important meanings behind marriage such as commitment, trust, creating a partnership etc, can be created in an LTR without signing a contract to say so. A marriage is between you and the other person, not you, her and a bunch of lawyers. The only place this falls down is if you believe marriage to be blessed by God. In which case, you've got to do it properly or it ain't blessed. Personally I think that's a load of sh*t, designed by church and government to keep us all in line, and nothing at all to do with God.
true true

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by confus4ever
i understand that there's a time in life when marriage sounds pretty good..maybe even fulfilling (now i'm complete, sort of speak) Usually, from my experience, women come across this path 1st. All i can say, is that if it's your mind (we all have fear, and it is the 2000's) be careful, take your time, evaluate the women you date, and say some prayers before making the decision with whomever you feel will be your wife. Use your instinctual side to help guide you. Marriage is great, as long as you pick the right one!
wtf is this sh!t?
prayers, take your time, marriage is great if you pick the right one.........what a load of wank.

are'nt you the guy that was asking chicks for advice on relationships a couple of days ago?.

Blaaaaat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dietzcoi

Do you feel lucky, punk??

Dietzcoi
Oh man, I love this quote!!! (in this context)