Semiotics and clothing

SynapsyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
As part of my degree at uni (Design), we study semiotics. Briefly, semiotics is the study or science of signs. Everything around us, every object, colour, material, everything has associations. Everything is a sign, be it a very strong connection or a very weak one. Let's just say, objects have baggage ;)

One of the major focusses of the unit was clothing, and what it says about us. The case study we looked at was to do with jeans, and the evolution into the Punk movement in the late 70's and early 80's. Teenagers took all sorts of stuff and used it in new and weird ways, so as to convey meaning to people. The majority of the time, it was about non-conformity and giving the finger to everyone. Times change, but the theory remains the same.

My reading has lead me to think a lot more about what I wear, and how I choose to present myself out in public. It's not always a case of making a statement about yourself, but NOT making a statement about yourself. Wearing band tshirts (My Dark Side of the Moon tshirt was singled out in class), or anything unique to a particular subculture, is a powerful and clear statement about who you are. Conversely, wearing plain clothes with no real features at all is just as powerful, because you could be ANYTHING. See where I'm going with this?

One of the most prominent "tips" I've ever picked up is the use of mystery in all encounters with everyone. You cannot be seen as interesting if people already know everything there is to know about you. Just like telling your life story, adorning yourself with symbolic clothing and styles makes you boring and predictable. Ever wondered why you might think that all goths/emo's are pretty much the same? It's because they tell you too much without opening their mouths.

Likewise with any subculture. If you surf, and wear basically the catalogue for Billabong or Rip Curl, then people make automatic assumptions about who you are. If you're a "ghetto" type person, and you wear ghetto clothing (excuse my terminology, I live in Australia), then again, everyone assumes you're the stereotype because you are plastering the stereotype all over yourself.

What am I getting at? Next time you go sarging, consider what your clothes, hairstyle and facial hair (if any) say about you. Are you saying too much? Are you saying too little? Don't get the above wrong, de-symbolising yourself can be dangerous, as you may, in the process of trying to be less boring, become just as boring on the opposite end of the scale. But try to find a balance between wearing yourself on your sleeve (literally!) and wearing a long black coat, concealing everything.

A lot of material suggests that girls don't care much for looks, that it's 90% confidence. Well, you can be the most confident beggar in the world and still find it hard to get a date. And the most immediate and powerful statements you make aren't with your mouth. They're with your appearence and body language. I'd say at least 60% of that 90% confidence is made up of appearence.

To brand or not to brand, that is the question no? :D

Syn.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No kidding, good call.

A lot of opinion on this board regarding clothing is that one should try as be as well-dressed as possible, but that you should always try to incorporate at least one or two items that are "signature" and say something about yourself.

I myself dress pretty low-key, and preppy. I am just now learning that I really need to modify my jeans-collared shirt-jacket routine by adding something new... a hat? a button? a cool belt? a necklace?

The degree you are studying sounds interesting. As a theory-oriented masters student, the study of signs (as seen by Sausseure (sp) and the people after him) is fascinating. People attribute all sorts of meaning to iconic objects.

SynapsyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahaha, good old Saussure.

Yeah, I think there is a lot of emphasis on dressing "well" and spending a lot of money on clothes. Too much in fact. I suppose it works for some guys, because they have great jobs, cars and property to go with it (so it fits), but dressing upclass when it's not "you" is probably a result of misguided thinking.

We know girls want certain things. Stability, dependability, the list goes on and on. They look for these things in our appearence as well. Maybe not on a purely conscious level, but they're still doing it. But more than anything, I believe they're looking for something genuinely different and interesting. Wearing trendy, expensive clothes is neither. You can be neat and well presented without paying $300 for a shirt :)

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Synapsis:

I'd agree, to a point. It depends on the kind of women you're looking for. A lot of the women (girls, really) that the guys on this site are after really do care about those $300 dollar shirts (or at least a $50 shirt, whatever your level of materialism).

Those are the easy ones. The good ones are less picky about how expensive things are and care more about your ability to find something to suit yourself.

So, your point is made... :yes:

timeforacatnap

Don Juan
Reaction score
i did my dissertation oon this stuff...

basically if you want a hippie chick, you can spot her by what she wears, and assuming she wants a hippie guy, you thus have to wear that same set of 'memes' in order to show you belong to the same 'social tribe' thus as a pre game filter, you have to both be qualified to each other on a level of 'social circle', by in this example wearing cloathes that point you out as belonging to a certain social group, and thus conforming to the ideals and moral codes and values of said group...hence, like attracts like and you'll find that couples who are in strong relationships tend to naturally dress in a similar way...punks tend to date punks rather than hiphop-sters...the reason being that dress is representative of their sub-culture, and thus way of life, beliefs, ethics and morals...

now i'm gonna stop my brain from exploding.

still interesting stuff and totally relevent to PU, in the sense that if you want classy chicks you'd better learn to dress classy yourself and that is a pre-game qualifier.