Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Semi-Original Gipper TIp # 77 - Posture,or How to Fake a Little Confidence

Gipper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good Morning/Afternoon!

When I go out to the grocery store, mall, or any place where large groups of people congregate, I like to observe how they act. I'm sure this is nothing new, as a lot of folks like to people-watch, but I've noticed something since I started posting here:

There are a lot of guys who slouch, slump, or generally create an impression of being beaten down by life.

Myself, I make a point to sit up straight, walk as tall as I can, and hold my body in a powerful manner. You can't imagine the difference this makes in my personality and how people react to me.

As a DJ, you should come across as a powerful, vibrant man. The perfect example of the Alpha-Male. Slouching in your chair, or walking with your shoulders slumped over does not create the image of a powerful man.

Even if you are not yet brimming with confidence, simply holding your body in a strong position will give others the impression that you are confident about yourself, and they will treat you as such.

This is a relatively easy way to fake a little confidence, and get the ball rolling on your way to DJ-ness!

Gipper

------------------
"There's nothing wrong with letting the girls know you're money, and that you want to party.
-Trent, from "Swingers"

Love is the self-delusion we manufacture to justify the trouble we take to have sex.
-Daniel S. Greenberg

[This message has been edited by Gipper (edited 02-23-2002).]

Synthesis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've tried straightening my posture and people think

1) I'm trying to be ****y or
2) that I'm maybe starting trouble with them or
3) doing something dumb

It's very difficult when it's not natural - people can tell when I'm forcing it. :p

Character

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Synthesis:

3) doing something dumb

It's very difficult when it's not natural - people can tell when I'm forcing it. :p

the people that see you often will notice many little changes about you. dont stop changing because they dont like it. do your own thing

syncmaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That was my starting stone for confidence. EXCELLENT tip for any newb. It's just become natural for me now. And you're right, it does look A LOT better.

------------------
Syncmaster signing out.
a.k.a ... Adam

Jester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
right on gip, i started working on my posture when i began my transformation from an afc to a dj(2 years before i found this site). I did it because i admired how guys in the military looked and walked, so i copyed what i saw from both real life and in the movies. At first people thought i was stiff, but i worked on it and now i just look confident.

One thing tho, i notice myself leaning far over in my desk at school when im doing work or reading, im not sure how this is enterpreted subconciously. Any ideas?

stuartSan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Backing Gipper up on this one.

------------------
i'd rather die than give you control

Don the Legend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Gipper,

Thanks for the tip. I needed that as a reminder as to how important standing straight projects to other people. I've noticed that I slouched unconsciously out of habit. Keep up the Semi-original series, we need them.

Take Care,

Legend

Webster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Synthesis:

3) doing something dumb

So what? Let them think you are being ****y. If you don't do it often, then it WILL seem contrived when you do want to do it. Let it become second nature, people will get used to it and strangers won't think anything of the sort. Posture is very important, not only for appearing (or being) confident but also for good health. It is much easier to develop back and muscle problems if you do not have proper posture.

------------------
--Blaine Moore

"Look at all those stupid, stupid, self-conscious people..." -- John Tomac

The DJ Bible

Faun

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gipper:
This is a relatively easy way to fake a little confidence, and get the ball rolling on your way to DJ-ness!
It's also a good little boost of confidence.

------------------
Half man, half animal.