Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Selling vehicle - Who gets original bill or sale, buyer or seller?

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm selling a vehicle and was wondering who gets the original of the bill of sale and who gets a copy, the buyer or the seller? Or does it even matter? Just thought I'd post it here in case anyone has some good info on the subject. Thanks.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It could vary by state. In illinois the buyer takes the bill of sale and a signed title, then is supposed to be able to drive legally with no plates to get the car home. Never drive a car you just bought and leave the last owners plates on it. Doing so is a felony in my state.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Most state DMV sites list the necessary paperwork procedures for a legal sale. If they don’t list it, it’s probably irrelevant.
If I remember correctly, as is true in most sales, the dealership (seller) gives the buyer a copy on a new vehicle sale.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it is standard that both parties get an original signed copy (i.e., the buyer & seller sign both copies). The title document itself is signed and given to the seller. I think if this title document gets lost, the buyer would need to get a replacement title document and sign that away. For my current car, I only got the title document after I had paid it off, and the lienholder stamped it to show the car has been paid off.