Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Self limiting beliefs kill dreams

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tonight I had an epiphany.

I was researching painting on the internet, because i am interested in art and i am absolutely blown away by the eastern European paintings I have purchased and seen over the past several years.

The problem is, you can buy a MASTERPIECE painting from a starving artist in eastern Europe for a couple hundred bucks. To buy anything that even comes close here in the states you are talking THOUSANDS.

I want to learn how to paint in that style.

I was frustrated with what I came up with, because as a general rule American art isn't even in the same stratosphere with what I have seen overseas. I wouldn't even know where to begin to learn.

Then I got to thinking. Every fukking thing I set my mind out to do, I DO. I have experience in graphic design, interior design, retail store design, building custom cars, hell, I even did a troweled on concrete overlayment with acid stain on the floors in my condo. Looks like a $5,000 floor, and since I did it myself (with zero experience) I saved myself $4,000. not to mention the faux finish paint job and custom concrete counters I am going to build when I get some time.....

I just realize something. I can do pretty much any godddamned thing I want.

When I was 16-17 I cut the roof off of my truck and made it a convertible. then did the body work, rented a compressor and paint gun and painted the damn thing. Nobody showed me how to do it. This was BEFORE the internet, so I don't think I even had a point of reference....I just DID IT.

And here I am doubting myself about buying a few brushes to get started trying to paint a picture that can easily go in the garbage if I don't like it.

Point is.....I have done a lot of sh!t in my life. I have pulled off a whole bunch of stuff when others told me I was crazy (I haven't listed half the sh!t I have tried) and here I am still doubting myself over a silly set of paint brushes (I already have the paint for some reason).

I'll tell you what, YOUR MIND is 99% of what holds you back in life

So here I am sitting around doubting myself over something so utterly insignificant, after doing some truly crazy sh!t in my time.

Don't let your mind hold you back from ANYTHING. The vast majority of what you think is out of your reach is closer than you think. You just have to get out and DO IT, and forget about that little voice telling you it can't be done.

Self-limiting beliefs are the killers of dreams.

jophil28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
Don't let your mind hold you back from ANYTHING. The vast majority of what you think is out of your reach is closer than you think. You just have to get out and DO IT, and forget about that little voice telling you it can't be done.

Self-limiting beliefs are the killers of dreams.
Good one STR8uP. While we are on the subjects of "that little voice", do forget to ignore the loud booing from the 'doom and gloom' gallery- your friends !
A lot of the people whom we know personally do not want us to be successful ( in spite of what they say) because then they might feel lesser by comparison. Sad, but sometimes true.

Last edited:

Fallen

Don Juan
Reaction score
jophil28 said:
Good one STR8uP. While we are on the subjects of "that little voice", do forget to ignore the loud booing from the 'doom and gloom' gallery- your friends !
A lot of the people whom we know persobally do not want us to be successful ( in spite of what they say) because then they might feel lesser by comparison. Sad, but sometimes true.
Very sad but often true :mad:

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the tips section? Just kidding.

This is very true and I believe in some ways it is true for almost all of us. I have a good friend that literally was born in the jungles of Africa and came to the US 20 years ago. He has gone on to have more success in pretty much every area of his life than 99.9% of the people that were born here. He was one of only 4 or 5 people from his country chosen to come to the US that year. Hanging around him has expanded my thinking in so many ways. When he goes after something he doesn't think about whether he can or can't do it- he just sets out to working at it and he does it.

I have often said about him: "Once you already done the impossible, everything else is possible."

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is why I always avoid LTRs with women who complain that they can't have this or do that. You know, the ones who begrudge you after you've accomplished something through blood, sweat and tears, think you're just lucky, sigh and murmur "must be nice." It's yet another case of allowing circumstances to dictate your life instead of you dictating circumstances...and hating on anyone with the gumption to accomplish his goals.

They might not act this way toward you at first, but if you catch them acting like this toward other people, it's a big red flag...a sign of a victim mentality.

mikeraw

Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP, post a URL of a gallery of these so that I can picture what type of paintings you're talking about...

What's been the reaction from chicks? For decoration, I tend to stick to landscapes, lighthouses, and scenes of Mediterranean towns overlooking the water and chicks love these...

It'd be interesting to see Eastern European stuff... I imagine them kinda gloomy?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern European art is absolutely amazing.

A lot of it is "whimsical", like people on flying bicycles, hot air balloons, etc., but the styles have a wide range.

They use a lot of patterns and light textures. The people are generally more caricaturish, and each artist has their style kind of "people", kind of like cartoon characters.

A lot of it is inspired by music (you see a lot of instruments) and the ancient architecture of the area.

Click on the "paintings" section of this site and have a look http://www.art.ge/ click on the artist name and then click on their paintings to take you to larger pics.

We have some restaurants and art galleries around here that sell local "art" that looks like it was painted by a fifth grade student. Some of it they are asking thousands for. It's a joke.

If I ever get into the position where I am able to travel more I am going to start importing the stuff cause it's absolutely amazing.

More on the main topic later.....

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the time I try something new I am shocked at how easy it actually is.

Those boogeymen are only in your head.

I won't go into details, but I recently developed a "product" that at first glance you would think it would take a chemist to create. I have a niche market, so I created this product because I perceived there to be a demand for it. I know quite a bit about marketing, graphic design, etc. so I put everything together and came up with something that I make for less than $2 and sell retail for $17. I am also in the process of creating an informational DVD that pertains to the same industry as this product which is going to cost me about $30 to produce (I am shooting and editing it myself) and is going to sell for $50 a pop. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the profit potential in this one.....

Point is, if I thought I had to be a chemist to create this product I wouldn't have even tried it. If I hadn't taken the plunge and learned about video production, graphic design, marketing, etc. all I would be able to do is sit on a good idea and watch as someone else eventually capitalized on the idea.

Don't be afraid of anything.

mikeraw

Don Juan
Reaction score
I looked at this artist's works: Djardji Balanchivadze... they kind of remind me of the Codex Seraphinianus:

http://www.archimedes-lab.org/Serafi/C_serafini.html

Is there an artist specifically that you're talking about? Even though this is not my style, I can appreciate these works... All these paintings can be easily appreciated and talked about extensively... How have chicks reacted to these?

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Losers visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.

Fallen

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
Losers visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.
Absolutely true. But unfortunately this is a well known fact ( at least it should be ) Most more mature posters here realize the truth in these posts.

But as always, there's a huge difference in knowing and applying.
One's own demons are the hardest to fight. Because they know all your weak spots. Every single one of them. They know exactly where and when to strike.
If you've been told your whole life what you can't do and that you should know your limits, it is becoming the most difficult thing to do, to lose your fears, your inhibitions and your limiting beliefs.
I mean this sh!t is been passed on from generation to generation. And my guess is that it gets worse every single time.
That, and the fact that most other people around you don't want you to change ( not because they're evil but because you changing, you succeeding, you improving will show them their own limits or limiting beliefs ) make it the hardest thing to do.

That's why you're going to be on your own on that particular task.

STR8UP and RT are A1 posters on this forum. Keep up the good work.

@STR8UP: If you're serious about importing art from eastern Europe just pm me. Since my fat a$$ is sitting in Germany and i've got a lot of foreign friends, i am pretty well connected to eastern Europe. Maybe we can work something out.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
There have been studies done that show that people are influenced substantially more by the fear of failure than they are the prospect for success.

I truly believe that this is the main trait that separates the people who are extremely successful from those who aren't. And even those who ARE more influenced by fear who do manage to obtain a certain level of success most often could have been much more successful if they had a different attitude toward failure.

Fallen said:
If you've been told your whole life what you can't do and that you should know your limits, it is becoming the most difficult thing to do, to lose your fears, your inhibitions and your limiting beliefs.
I am as guilty as the next guy sometimes when it comes to my initial response to something. Luckily, I have trained myself to catch these limiting beliefs quickly before they lead to inaction.

I don't know where I get it from because my parents aren't like me at all. They are absolutely blown away by some of the stuff I set out to do.

That, and the fact that most other people around you don't want you to change ( not because they're evil but because you changing, you succeeding, you improving will show them their own limits or limiting beliefs ) make it the hardest thing to do.
This is a REALLY big stumbling block for so many people. For numerous reasons other folks don't want to see you get ahead, and it takes a lot of strength to break away from the social pressure.

@STR8UP: If you're serious about importing art from eastern Europe just pm me. Since my fat a$$ is sitting in Germany and i've got a lot of foreign friends, i am pretty well connected to eastern Europe. Maybe we can work something out.
One of the chicks I met in Georgia was supposed to be partnering up with me to export art, but as with most early 20 something chicks she flaked.....

I will PM you.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually hate posting brief, pithy truisms like that, but it really applies. And yes, it's all in the application too, but you MUST have the sack to take action, to risk. I often get into one of my "moods" about offering advice here and with other men and women I counsel because of exactly this dynamic.

I call 'em the "Why Bothers". Why bother breaking down things into completely verifiable, well reasoned and logical explanations, then formulate a response and a plan of action when the people you're trying to aid will never take action on them? Unless desperate, or a person has nothing to lose, scant few people will dare to experiment or take risks that would really benefit them for fear of upsetting what small bit of personal security they think they have. So they'll nod their heads in agreement and tell you "you know, you're right, I never thought of it that way before,.." etc. but never really DO a damn thing until it's either too late or they're so destitute and optionless that they're forced to make a change.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
So if I see an HB9.5, and by visualizing all the horrible things that will happen if I don't go and talk to her, somehow muster the juevos to go and do so, and as a consequence we hit if off and have a great relationship, does that make me a loser?

Or if I see another HB9.5, and have a really cool visualization about how if I shout at her from three feet away demanding a BJ, and how good it will feel, and use that to motivate me to go and ask for said BJ, and consequently her boyfriend comes over and beats the crap out of me, does that make me a winner?

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jophil28 said:
A lot of the people whom we know personally do not want us to be successful ( in spite of what they say) because then they might feel lesser by comparison. Sad, but sometimes true.
Thats true. If you're doing well then that makes them feel worse about themselves.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mikeraw said:
I looked at this artist's works: Djardji Balanchivadze... they kind of remind me of the Codex Seraphinianus:

http://www.archimedes-lab.org/Serafi/C_serafini.html

Is there an artist specifically that you're talking about? Even though this is not my style, I can appreciate these works... All these paintings can be easily appreciated and talked about extensively... How have chicks reacted to these?
No particular artist. I haven't even beenon that site in a long time.

The thing that got me into art in the first place was when I visited Georgia they have an art market in a city park where a bunch of artists bring their paintings and other art to sell. I was speechless. Even the stuff that was in styles that I didn't care for I had a deep appreciation for because I could see the skill that was involved. It made everything I had seen up to that point look like paint by numbers.

As for how chicks have reacted to my art....actually the one that has gotten the most reaction is a turn of the century European landscape oil. There's a small figure next to water in a ravine who looks to be collecting firewood. The sky is ominous so he is probably getting prepared for an approaching storm. The cool and eerie part about the painting though is that the trees look to be almost upside down the way they are painted, like the roots are reaching for the sky. It's pretty awesome. A bargain I found on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks.

I have another one that will definitely get some attention from the chicks, but it isn't framed yet. It's a modern eastern European oil on cardboard. I showed it to the lady at the frame store and she was like "ohhhh what a shame....a work of art like this on cardboard.....". It's a girl's face which is obvious to see, but her hair is a collage of everything from fish to pirate ships to elephants to peacocks. Every time I look at it I see something new. It's incredible.

My fave is another modern EE oil with a couple of the charicaturized people (like I mentioned) with a cow plowing a field. Got it in Prague a few years ago. LOVE IT!

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Every dream I have ever pursued was through the school of hard knocks. None have come easy and what I have found the most disappointing is finding people who have your best interest in mind when it calls for it.

Nothing is black and white but one thing is certain for most people I am one of them you have to have the grit and determination to keep your head in times those dreams don't pan out the way you intended them to be and know when it's time to quit as dreams take time and money nothing is free.

Murphy's Law has a way of sticking his ugly head in your business at the damest times for just as you think everything is right and in order everything goes wrong.

LoneSilver

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
I've been off for a while, but sometimes I get back to read some gems from Rollo Tomassi. He is my guru, as I say.

And I come across this gem.

Rollo, thank you. You are the man!!!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Yes, I just wanted to say thank you. Bye! :whistle:

Rollo Tomassi said:
I actually hate posting brief, pithy truisms like that, but it really applies. And yes, it's all in the application too, but you MUST have the sack to take action, to risk. I often get into one of my "moods" about offering advice here and with other men and women I counsel because of exactly this dynamic.

I call 'em the "Why Bothers". Why bother breaking down things into completely verifiable, well reasoned and logical explanations, then formulate a response and a plan of action when the people you're trying to aid will never take action on them? Unless desperate, or a person has nothing to lose, scant few people will dare to experiment or take risks that would really benefit them for fear of upsetting what small bit of personal security they think they have. So they'll nod their heads in agreement and tell you "you know, you're right, I never thought of it that way before,.." etc. but never really DO a damn thing until it's either too late or they're so destitute and optionless that they're forced to make a change.
As a friend of mine says: from dust we came, to dust we will get back. So what? Heh.

For me, I have really nothing to lose for now. Your post hit home really hard. Thank you again!

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
taiyuu_otoko said:
So if I see an HB9.5, and by visualizing all the horrible things that will happen if I don't go and talk to her, somehow muster the juevos to go and do so, and as a consequence we hit if off and have a great relationship, does that make me a loser?

Or if I see another HB9.5, and have a really cool visualization about how if I shout at her from three feet away demanding a BJ, and how good it will feel, and use that to motivate me to go and ask for said BJ, and consequently her boyfriend comes over and beats the crap out of me, does that make me a winner?
These are merely excuses to stay where you're at. The "what if's" are what promote second thoughts and indecision.