Self Censorship

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys are like me who have beliefs that are not mainstream and have to CONSTANTLY self-censor your words because you don't want your beliefs to hurt your chances of getting a job or something like that.

For example I hang around my friends but some work with me in a place where I work a few hours part time to help pay for school. So basically when hanging around them stuff comes up and I can't always say what I think because I'm afraid they will go to the boss and be like "oh he doesn't believe in God" and "ohh he thinks religion is bull****" and "ohh he thinks race-based affirmative action is reverse racism."

And stuff like that. It's really frustrating, but keeping my job is more important than having others hear what I think I guess..:cuss:

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very much so. I force myself to walk out of IRL political/ideological discussions all the time.

The internet is a convenience, because you can vent and express yourself much more freely with no fear of material repercussions.

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's life. Sometimes you have to keep the peace, sometimes you need to stand up for what you believe in, even against public opinion, It's finding the right balance which the hard thing to do.

prairiedog24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was the token Republican in a pacific northwest political science grad program. Trust me. I know how you feel.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have many friends who are up in arms about prop 8 and think anyone that is against gay marriage is the same as someone who is against interracial marriage and you might as well be a bigot if you think men should not marry men. I have to hide my views from these people. Their self-righteousness can be extremely annoying on this subject.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys, good to hear there are others out there. I was beginning to think I was insane and was gonna rage out at somebody the next time an ultraliberal PC convo came up.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Always. First, my sense of humor can get raunchy and amoral at times, so I have to catch myself to avoid the whole "I can't believe you even think like that" look. I think a lot of times, I just feel like being real about stuff and people don't know how to take it.