Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Scientists cure cancer

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EDITORS NOTE:

Since the original publication of this article we have been inundated with responses from the public at all walks of life. It is important to note that research is ongoing with DCA, and not everyone is convinced it will turn out to be a miracle drug. There have been many therapies that were promising in vitro and in animal models that did not work for one reason or another in humans. To provide false hope is not our intention. There is a lot of information on DCA available on the web, and this column is but one opinion on the topic. We hope you will do your own research into the situation. So, we have added links to resources at the end of this column. If you are arriving here form a linking website like Fark, then those links will not appear because they tend to grab only the text.

END NOTE

Scientists may have cured cancer last week.

Yep.

So, why haven't the media picked up on it?

Here's the deal. Researchers at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada found a cheap and easy to produce drug that kills almost all cancers. The drug is dichloroacetate, and since it is already used to treat metabolic disorders, we know it should be no problem to use it for other purposes.

Doesn't this sound like the kind of news you see on the front page of every paper?

The drug also has no patent, which means it could be produced for bargain basement prices in comparison to what drug companies research and develop.

Scientists tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body where it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but left healthy cells alone. Rats plump with tumors shrank when they were fed water supplemented with DCA.

Again, this seems like it should be at the top of the nightly news, right?

Cancer cells don't use the little power stations found in most human cells - the mitochondria. Instead, they use glycolysis, which is less effective and more wasteful.

Doctors have long believed the reason for this is because the mitochondria were damaged somehow. But, it turns out the mitochondria were just dormant, and DCA starts them back up again.

The side effect of this is it also reactivates a process called apoptosis. You see, mitochondria contain an all-too-important self-destruct button that can't be pressed in cancer cells. Without it, tumors grow larger as cells refuse to be extinguished. Fully functioning mitochondria, thanks to DCA, can once again die.

With glycolysis turned off, the body produces less lactic acid, so the bad tissue around cancer cells doesn't break down and seed new tumors.

Here's the big catch. Pharmaceutical companies probably won't invest in research into DCA because they won't profit from it. It's easy to make, unpatented and could be added to drinking water. Imagine, Gatorade with cancer control.

So, the groundwork will have to be done at universities and independently funded laboratories. But, how are they supposed to drum up support if the media aren't even talking about it?

All I can do is write this and hope Google News picks it up. In the meantime, tell everyone you know and do your own research.

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/...ne_Takes_Notice

JohnJones

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If its that strong a potential, some company will do it for the publicity alone.

God_of_getting_layed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds llike good news. I hope its all its cracked up to be.

Im really disgusted with the pharmaceutical companies. They wont pitch in and fund the clinical trials just becuase they wont profit from it? I can understand not donating to the red cross, but to not donate for a cure for cancer is absolutely disgusting. How could a big company not want to donate towards something that will stop one of the biggest killers of humanity? Oh yeah, becuase they wont profit from it.

Its crap like this which makes me question if free interprise and capatalism are really good things. A lot of cruelty is comming from greed and the fact that the big companies out there value a dollar bill more than a human life. Absolutely disgusting.

God_of_getting_layed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mr_elor said:
I'd need to find out more before passing judgement, but if the situation is as stated above then this is disgusting. Let's see if the CEO were to change their tune if - God forbid - they, or someone in their family was to be diagnosed with cancer.
lol, Im sure it would change their tune. In fact, I hope one of their relatives does get cancer. It might sound cruel to say such a thing, but it cant be as cruel as not funding cancer research with a high probability of finding a cure just becuase you cant profit from it.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
its unfortuanate, but Kevin Treaudeau (sp) has been saying it for years about the medical community.

It is sick, but hey, if you can get this information out, than run with it and put the pressure on the pharmacutical companies.

btw your link is bad.

comic_relief

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep, get us a good link.

My old "alternative" doctor always said that the cure for cancer... and actually for most things... was pretty much just over the horizon. BUT, the drug companies and other medically-related companies don't really want a cure.

I'm sure it's like that for AIDS, too.

Disgusting.

Well, there is a lot of info out there. Check this out:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10971

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
realsmoothie said:
Yep, get us a good link.

My old "alternative" doctor always said that the cure for cancer... and actually for most things... was pretty much just over the horizon. BUT, the drug companies and other medically-related companies don't really want a cure.

I'm sure it's like that for AIDS, too.

Disgusting.

Well, there is a lot of info out there. Check this out:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10971
yea it's terrible. A lot of drug companies actually want you to continue to have a certain disease/condition so you have to keep coming back for more of their drugs. That's why there are so many drugs that just mask the pain or provide only temporary relief. They have a term for it too. They want you to be a 'lifetime' customer.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon said:
yea it's terrible. A lot of drug companies actually want you to continue to have a certain disease/condition so you have to keep coming back for more of their drugs. That's why there are so many drugs that just mask the pain or provide only temporary relief. They have a term for it too. They want you to be a 'lifetime' customer.
Of course they do. They're companies, not the church or the government. Their job is to provide a product for people to purchase; naturally they'd prefer people keep purchasing the product. If the government was in charge of producing drugs (i.e. market-external) we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are in terms of pharmaceutical research. Didn't anyone else take Intro to Microeconomics?

Of course, it's a sh¡tty state of affairs. I'll give you that.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This has bugged me about dentistry, too. You can't tell me that all the money that goes into that industry can't come up with a better way of fixing cavities and doing root canals than grinding some metal thing against your teeth.

I heard about this gas they developed that kills infections in teeth, totally painless. It came around YEARS ago. Does anyone have this at their dentist? Unlikely.

And the PRICES for dental work. COME FRIGGIN' ON! I can get cars for cheaper than this. What a joke.

Marcopolo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If what you are saying is true, that is pretty bad. It is strange that this is the second time this week I have heard they found a "cure for cancer". I read an article that scientists have figured out a way to destroy tumors with nano particles, they have been testing it on various animals over the past year with a 100% success rate, and they are just now applying for FDA approval to run clinical testing on humans this year. Then there is that Resveratrol stuff that slowed down aging in mice and did all kinds of other amazing things. Have you guys heard of this one?

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
it says it worked on rats - I'm definitely not a fan of animal testing and I'd say curing cancer in rats is nothing like curing it in humans, they've found cures for many many diseases in animals and it's not worked on a single human...

what I'm saying is, it's probs not really a cure for cancer

JohnJones

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is one of the places where the government and/or universities can step in.

In any system, you need to let the various arms do what they do best. Public companies (a term at which I bristle since they are not "public" in the sense of being for benevolent, public purposes) don't do this kind of pure research for the public good very well -- because (1) stockholders (ie, regular people who own mutual funds, etc) would shy away as the company gives away the cookies free (2) because this, under the right circumstances, would be a classic case of breach of fiduciary duty and (3) it's not their job, any more than its your job or mine.

Jonas Salk, the polio vaccine developer, worked at a university.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
God_of_getting_layed said:
In fact, I hope one of their relatives does get cancer. It might sound cruel to say such a thing, but it cant be as cruel as not funding cancer research with a high probability of finding a cure just becuase you cant profit from it.
Have you contributed millions of dollars to cancer research lately? If not, then according to your logic, your entire family should get cancer and die.

By the way guys, I recently heard about a new drug that makes people immortal! But due to the pharma and oil companies blocking research with the use of ninja assassins, the drug has been sabotaged!

Seriously though, this is the 100000th time I've heard of some "miracle cure" for cancer, AIDS, renewable energy, and everything else. I'll wait until I see absolute proof before believing the next snake oil line.

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo Troops,

I really do hope that this cancer cure or ANY OTHER cancer cure goes into production soon. But I'm afraid what was mentioned earlier is true. The pharmaceutical industry IS more concerned with treating things FOREVER than they are with actually curing them. When I'm not on Sosuave, and I'm in my CIVILIAN life, I WORK in the biopharmaceutical field.

I went to a National Pharmaceutical Sales Conference recently and overheard one of our Sales Reps say with a snicker:

"Hey, there's this new drug coming out for MS that should really make us a lot of money. They have to take it everyday, and it's not a cure, but it WILL relieve the symptoms----which is good for US, because if it WAS a cure, we'd lose money!"

When the guy said it, I turned and looked at him. This guy was probably in his late 50's and overweight. Then it occured to me, God forbid, if HE were to be stricken with a major debilitating disease, wonder would he STILL be so cavalier in his attitudinal preferences for selling "FIXES" rather than cures?

Sometimes, even in a society built on the back of slavery, racism, classism, "religious" freedom, and CAPITALISM, you would THINK that the greater good of the citizens would at least, OCCASIONALLY take precedence----but...we'll see.

I've noticed that it's quite EASY for people to play that self-serving, morally ambiguous role UNTIL the script FLIPS and THEY'RE suddenly the ones being called on to possibly play the tragic "death" scene...

Whether it's fighting to produce a cure for cancer, or just striving to be a BETTER person today than you were yesterday, i've found that nothing helps men AND women sleep better at night than a CLEAR CONSCIENCE.

Peace...one day.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, keep an eye on DCA

It needs to go through Phase I and II FDA tests first. It would be irresponsible to prescribe it otherwise.

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Victory Unlimited said:
Yo Troops,

I really do hope that this cancer cure or ANY OTHER cancer cure goes into production soon. But I'm afraid what was mentioned earlier is true. The pharmaceutical industry IS more concerned with treating things FOREVER than they are with actually curing them. When I'm not on Sosuave, and I'm in my CIVILIAN life, I WORK in the biopharmaceutical field.

I went to a National Pharmaceutical Sales Conference recently and overheard one of our Sales Reps say with a snicker:

"Hey, there's this new drug coming out for MS that should really make us a lot of money. They have to take it everyday, and it's not a cure, but it WILL relieve the symptoms----which is good for US, because if it WAS a cure, we'd lose money!"

When the guy said it, I turned and looked at him. This guy was probably in his late 50's and overweight. Then it occured to me, God forbid, if HE were to be stricken with a major debilitating disease, wonder would he STILL be so cavalier in his attitudinal preferences for selling "FIXES" rather than cures?

Sometimes, even in a society built on the back of slavery, racism, classism, "religious" freedom, and CAPITALISM, you would THINK that the greater good of the citizens would at least, OCCASIONALLY take precedence----but...we'll see.

I've noticed that it's quite EASY for people to play that self-serving, morally ambiguous role UNTIL the script FLIPS and THEY'RE suddenly the ones being called on to possibly play the tragic "death" scene...

Whether it's fighting to produce a cure for cancer, or just striving to be a BETTER person today than you were yesterday, i've found that nothing helps men AND women sleep better at night than a CLEAR CONSCIENCE.

Peace...one day.
Exactly. I understand they are trying to make money and all, it's just the ethics used that's bugging me.

To me, it's almost as bad as tobacco companies. But hey, at least tobacco companies will admit that they don't really care about their customers' health. With the drug companies, you see commercials with all these masked statements of "We are here for you" or "We feel your pain," when in actuality, they want you to keep feeling the pain so you have to come back and become a lifetime customer. They could care less if you had suffered your whole life, just as long as you spent 30 or so years buying their temporary relief. Sometimes you wonder how the higher-ups in some of these companies can sleep at night, but then you realize they probably lost a good portion of their soul.