Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

School or Job?

dualman7

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was notified today that I am one of a dozen students who have been accepted into Graduate program. It’s a two year boot camp; if you complete it, you get an MFA degree and are able to teach among other things.

I graduated from college as an undergrad a year and a half ago. I had a very difficult time finding a full-time job. I went on two interviews and things just weren’t going my way. As a student, I interned for a very big company ; they offered me a part time gig (couple days a week) after graduation. While working part time, I decided I may as well go back to school since I wasn’t able to land my dream job. I studied for the GRE’s, and eventually submitted my application.

Approximately six months ago, someone quit, and the company asked me to work five days a week instead of two. The work I was doing was a dream come true, and I really learned a lot. The company decided not to replace the person who quit, but instead allow people like myself and a few others to share the hours. I was told that nothing is guaranteed, but eventually I may get a chance to work full-time. I was just glad to be working, and doing what I loved.

Within the last two months, I have been working on a part time basis. I have been told that I will know before the end of the summer whether the company plans to offer me a full time position or not.

The place where I am now is my dream gig. After finishing Grad school, this would be something I would kill to do. The only issue is the uncertainty and whether they want me.

I think my experience at this company had something to do with me being accepted to the graduate program.

Financially I am OK. I will get paid by the graduate program; I'll be assisting Undergrads while also basking in the knowledge.

I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. The Graduate program officials have given me two weeks to let them know whether I am accepting my seat in the program. At work, the people who will make the decision whether to hire me or not have not told me one way or the other.

Would I be off-base if I talked to my boss about this? I am 90% sure his response will be that they haven't made a decision yet, and I should do what I want.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd go to college, young hotties galore ... and I'm serious. You get few chances to do this. I went to grad school and it was very refreshing, mentally and woman-wise. I was like a man in the desert who found an oasis. The working world is solid if you're getting good bucks, but grad school -- even if it's a risk -- is a great risk.

Smart, intelligent, young women do not grow on trees -- except in college.

Some will disagree with me here, but it sure worked for me.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do both. More than likely you'll have to go the PT student route but what looks best on a resume is a combination of education and experience.

Metro3pilot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the more you learn, the more you earn, more often than not.

dualman7

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did the whole pros and cons deal.

My main concern is that if I go to Grad school, not only will I lose out on the full-time gig but I may never reach this type of position ever again.

I hope it's worth the risk.

djzulu

Don Juan
Reaction score
From the limited information you have supplied, this is my take on things:

If this dream job is not another step in achieving your ultimate goal in life (whatever that might be) then go to school since you might never get this chance again.

However, if this job will lead you to where you want to be, say in 5-10 years from now, then don't give it up.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chanses are the 'dream' job will not last long. With education; however, you may come back and two years later and become the boss of your current boss. I'll go to school, particularly if you get everything taken care off by the school financial wise. If the company trully like your perfomance, they'll always be glad to take you back even after completing your education. But what happens in case you get fired or something suddenly happens and you lose the job? Once you have your degree, it cannot be taken away from you. The job is not a gurantee however.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is not such thing as a dream job. Ask the ENRON people.

Fact is, people change jobs at least 3 or 4 times in their careers.

And working part time is nothing to dream about.

Now...a graduate degree is something that you will keep for life. And it will make you marketable. If your current job is gone or you are laid-off then you at least have a Graduate degree to fall on + some experience.

The best alternative is always to do both: work part time WHILE doing your masters. Heck, I was working FULL TIME and doing my masters in Engineering from a top 10 University. And I was married with little kids. Was still going out the weekends with my friends...and was still working out in the gym. If I could do that (and we know Engineering is not easy), ANYONE can do it. And at least with engineering, you don't need a masters. It appears that in your case you will need one.

That's the same with guys that say "Well, I work in ___ company and make $70,000 a year and I have NO degree". Well, the day that company closes...those same guys marketeability will considerably decrease (unless they are professional blue collars in a technical field (e.g. aviation mechanics, etc.). Because degrees are important.

Another thing, I'm assuming that you are a "mature" poster. But I also sense that you are not as established as you would like to be. The question is...where do you want to be in 5-10 years? If your answer is: "Doing what you are doing now"...then we all know that your aspirations are not as high as others. And that's okay. As long as you CLEARLY understand what you want.